THE XB-70 moves into New Home

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TBear77

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
Ouch, got to have big kahoonas to fly the one left I suspect.

The other one was involved in a midair collision with a F-104. They were flying formation and the 104 got caught in a wingtip vortex. After the crash, this one was used by NASA for some testing.

Just stay away from F-104's and you'll be OK. :mrgreen:

RKB

Single-Sixer
Darn! I was at the Museum last weekend, if I'd known they were going to do this I might have stayed a couple more days. She is a beautiful plane. I'm looking forward to the completion of the new hangar, slated for June 2016.

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
It is more impressive in person, I am amazed at how far ahead the cockpit is from the landing gear. thanks for the video.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
TitanX said:
There's an effort underway by Airbus to restore one of the Concordes and return it to limited commercial flight.

There are/were few places that make you feel as pampered (with all your clothes on :wink: ) as when flying on the Concorde.

Ashley and I took the SST tour in Manchester, UK that included sitting in the Cockpit and having all the dials, gauges and switches explained by a former Concorde pilot. Ashley got the left hand seat, I got the jump seat ( where prince Charles sat) someone else got the Flt Engineers seat and one poor sod had to stand :lol: .
The Cabin had really comfortable seats, wish they those things on ALL of the airlines !!
They also took us around UNDER the aircraft to point out ALL the features.
Best money I ever spent on vacation !!

bogus bill

Hunter
I had to pull out my old log book. I seen the X-70 fly in formation on a similar photo opt flight on 06-30-1966. The one that crashed was three weeks earlier, June 8th. Since there were only two, that had to be this one.
I was on my first solo X country flight in a Cessna 150 from San Fernando to Quartz Hill then Helendale to Apple valley and back to San Fernando. I was high headed east from Quartz hill to a old abandoned strip at Helendale. The X-70 and photo planes made a huge circle around me to probably land at Edwards. Sure wish I had a movie camera! Helendale was a old abandoned Army Air Corp training strip from world war two. Later Lockheed bought it for test purposes and I was the first or second first guard to guard surveying equipment nights there. Later it was a big deal. Both San Fernando and Quartz Hill airstrips are long gone for close to 40 years. I flew some of the same route last year bringing my restored Citabria back to Utah from Mohave.
Just remembering. I was a Lockheed guard 35 years 1965 to 2,000. I was a guard on Lockheed's SST prototype entry when I first hired in, in Burbank. Also on everything else they built. The SR-71, U-2, F-117, YF-22, P-3, etc. I was really impressed with Northrup's B-1. That looks like something out of Flash Gordon. Seen it fly a bunch of times. The shake test was done at Lockheed and I was a guard watching it many long lonely nights. I probably knew, met or at least seen every test pilot we had during those 35 years. I liked them all.

bogus bill

Hunter
I still recall a funny cartoon I seen many years ago. Showed the pilots sitting in a complex airliner in a maze of instruments. The pilot is telling the co-pilot,"You know, I once knew what ALL of them meant!"