The value of 'being prepared' and self sufficient

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Yesterday, Son started on a project to spray weeds and small honey locust sprouts on some pasture here. We got the sprayer going and hooked up the foam marker to reduce waste and overlap and then he headed out. A short while later he called to report a flat rear tire. WELL CRAP. Parked the tractor on a jack and went to check some crop fields and on the way back stopped at out north farm where we store things like spare tractor tires. Yup, got one the right size. Came home and beat the damaged tire off the rim. Not sure if it was stubble or a deer antler that did the dirty deed but I could see light through the hole in the tire carcass-not fixable. Tube was salvageable so I fixed that this morning. When the boys showed up this afternoon, we put the replacement tire on and drove the tractor back to the barn. Ready for work tomorrow if I don't get rained out. A total of less than 2 hours on our part. We never dispose of used tractor tires for this exact reason.
The tire that was ruined had given pretty good service--it was an OEM on a new tractor Dad bought in 1969 and had been in service since.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Yeah, Son said we dumped the 'fluid' (back then it was calcium chloride) 20(?) years ago when I pulled it out of the shed, refurbed it, and mounted a light duty loader.
We sandblasted the rims and repainted, put in new tubes, and re-mounted the tires. Well worth the effort--the tire came off fairly easily rather than being 'grown' to the rim.

Calcium chloride, man it would eat rims if the tube ever had a slow leak.
Not to pick on farmers too much but 5 or 6 years ago a smaller local one brought in the rustiest POS rim I've ever seen wanting the center section
welded. Explained to him it was pure junk and you can't weld rust. He wasn't having any of what I was trying to tell him, finally just basically to be rid
of him I told him to take it and get it sandblasted to clean metal and I'd re-look at it. Gave him the number of a local blaster that does quality work. Well about 3-4 weeks later the man that owns the blasting company brought some stuff over to machine and the topic of Mr. Farmer came up.
He had taken the rusty wheel into the blast shop and was told it was junk very directly, waste of time and money to even try to do anything with it.
Nope....wanted it done! Fine, $60 up front, complained but paid, sometimes you ought to listen to what people in the business tell you.
Sounds like they gave him back 4 or 5 pieces of clean rust free "rim". Fortunately I never saw it again.

contender

Ruger Guru
Farmers evolved centuries ago to where they know to NOT throw away stuff that is still serviceable in a pinch,, but maybe not the best. Having "spares" of many things can save a LOT of trouble, time, money, work etc. Even if the spares are not the best or new.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
We tend to accumulate 'stuff' and occasionally the 'stuff' proves valuable far beyond it's cost even if it's just a savings in time or hassle.

BROKENBEAR

Bearcat
Mo Buck a hole does not always mean junk ..there are people who do inside the tire repair hot boot install which will have heavy cord in it and is vulcanized in place

Bear

Not just farmers 'save' stuff. Where and when I grew up it was country (no longer). Fifteen miles to the nearest anything store. Rarely threw much away. It's amazing what a part broken off a plow can be used on something else. That is how and when I learned my MacGyver moves.

Latest posts