The Ultimate Bear Gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TennVol

Bearcat
There are many guides in Alaska who carry Marlin Guide Guns in .45-70.

Any of these loads http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570.html will absolutely stop any bear on the planet.

420-gr SuperHardCast Hammerhead at 1350-fps
420-gr SuperHardCast Hammerhead at 1650-fps
420-gr SuperHardCast Hammerhead at 1850-fps
540-gr SuperHardCast Hammerhead at 1550-fps
350-gr Woodleigh Weld-Core JSP at 2000-fps
500-gr Woodleigh Weld-Core JSP at 1600-fps
500-gr Hornady Copper Clad Steel Jacketed Flatnose Solid at 1550-fps

A handgun is better than nothing in a bear encounter, but if you really want to stop a bear, you can't go wrong with a .45-70 rifle.

Some of these loads have been used to take the African Big Six. That is a good testament to the stopping power of this round.

exavid

Hunter
In the years I lived in Arctic Alaska and later in SE Alaska my Smith model 29 on my gunbelt made me feel more comfortable when flying. Other times I appreciated my .30-06. I like auto loading firearms but for survival guns I like revolvers (big ones) and bolt action rifles. Around big predators I really want it to go bang when I need it.

1ruger

Single-Sixer
I prefer to keep with my Remington 870 with 18” cylinder bore and rifle sight loaded with 4 rounds of Brennneke Black-Magic Magnum slugs.

exavid

Hunter
I've seen a couple of bears on Afognak I island (luckily from my Cessna) that might require a mounted recoiless rifle. At the time I was taking a guy to neighboring Kodiak Island who was going there to hunt Kodiak bears. With a bow. Someone else was going to pick him up so I never saw him again. I still wonder if anyone ever did.

K1500

Single-Sixer
Wow, Springfield introduces a copy of the Glock 20 27 years after the Glock was introduced. Cool.

In Barrow, Ak the native Wildlife Officers used 870’s in 12ga with rubber bullets to drive off errant polar bears that wandered into town, then slugs if that didn’t work.
gramps

tinman

Buckeye
My thoughts on the named topic ......"The Ultimate Bear Gun" ........ to me, that would be any gun that allows me address the "problem" from as far away as possible while still getting the job done. But this discussion seems to have morphed into "what gun would would you want is a close-up encounter...........my thoughts on the matter:

I carried a Glock 10mm for years as a duty gun and now have a shiny 4 inch Red Hawk in .45 Colt. For me, proper shot placement with task-specific ammunition makes either of these a good choice. But, I'm thinking that if I ever find myself in the bear-woods, my Marlin Guide-Gun or Remington 870 would be in my hands (with the aforementioned ammunition)......but the Glock or Red Hawk would be there as backup.

Latest posts