The stock market is insane

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blammer

Single-Sixer
Long ago, I got sound advice from my Great Aunt, a successful investor whose money eventually got to me when my mother died. I also read the same advice from Motley Fool and Richard Young. Buy and hold, especially dividend-paying stocks is the way I sleep well at night. It's worked out ok for me.

And remember that even if you stick money in safe non-stock places, inflation can eat up its value. You preserve capital, but lose buying power.

For a while, I played stocks a little with 'fun money' (money after investing in work-matched 401k and dividend stocks). But I was not good at it, mostly because I did not put in the time to do continual research and monitoring. And then you have to track lots more stuff and do extra work on taxes, which I hate doing.

It might be getting near time to do some value investing as stocks wobble around, but it won't be much money and it won't be daily buy-sell.

JackBull

Single-Sixer
Much better than a 20% stock market hit in the last 12 months
Of course if you are going to cherry pick the dates one can make almost any investment look good. The people I know that are well-off did so by investing WISELY in the market. That includes myself.

JackBull

Single-Sixer
Yes, Reno and Vegas are proof of that!!
It sounds like you did not know how to invest or let losers tell you not to invest in the market. I am living proof the market is easy and profitable. The trick is you do not need to beat the market, just go along for the ride. And all you need is 2-3 funds to do so. Easy as pie.

JackBull

Single-Sixer
Long ago, I got sound advice from my Great Aunt, a successful investor whose money eventually got to me when my mother died. I also read the same advice from Motley Fool and Richard Young. Buy and hold, especially dividend-paying stocks is the way I sleep well at night. It's worked out ok for me.

And remember that even if you stick money in safe non-stock places, inflation can eat up its value. You preserve capital, but lose buying power.

For a while, I played stocks a little with 'fun money' (money after investing in work-matched 401k and dividend stocks). But I was not good at it, mostly because I did not put in the time to do continual research and monitoring. And then you have to track lots more stuff and do extra work on taxes, which I hate doing.

It might be getting near time to do some value investing as stocks wobble around, but it won't be much money and it won't be daily buy-sell.
I pretty much agree with this. Still debating the value of dividend funds vs a total market etf. I follow the Boogleheads, the advice is free but invaluable.

. I follow the Boogleheads, the advice is free but invaluable.
Do you have a link? I’ve never heard of them before.

I read the news and occasionally listen to that smart a** from MadMoney.

Before this year, some of my stocks were up by giant amounts. They still are.

The trouble with selling is you take the hit, and still have to pay taxes on the rest.

To heck with that, I’ll just stick it out, haven’t lost anything and only have to pay taxes on the dividends.

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
Silver is UP big!
Nah. Been up in that area for awhile now. I am watching some amazing commodity market manipulation. Gold was always supposed to be an inflation hedge, value rising as the dollar's goes down. Due to current inflation, the numbers say that gold should be well over $2800 per ounce. It's at $1774, which is lower than some pre-inflation pricing, and around equal to the rest, with downward fluctuations. Not possible without manipulation by the big players, who are probably hoping to buy low, then let the market skyrocket.

JackBull

Single-Sixer
Do you have a link? I’ve never heard of them before.

I read the news and occasionally listen to that smart a** from MadMoney.

Before this year, some of my stocks were up by giant amounts. They still are.

The trouble with selling is you take the hit, and still have to pay taxes on the rest.

To heck with that, I’ll just stick it out, haven’t lost anything and only have to pay taxes on the dividends.

There are some great debates on dividend stock funds vs entire market index fund.

I will say the dividend fund I have has been more stable than the total market fund this year.

JackBull

Single-Sixer
When buying stocks by throwing darts at the stock report page of a newspaper has been proven time and again to perform as well, and often better, than the best professionally-managed portfolios, I say it's Wall Street or Vegas -- take yer pick...
Thats why you buy the entire market, the S&P or Dividend funds and hold. Proven winner over time.

JackBull

Single-Sixer
Nah. Been up in that area for awhile now. I am watching some amazing commodity market manipulation. Gold was always supposed to be an inflation hedge, value rising as the dollar's goes down. Due to current inflation, the numbers say that gold should be well over $2800 per ounce. It's at $1774, which is lower than some pre-inflation pricing, and around equal to the rest, with downward fluctuations. Not possible without manipulation by the big players, who are probably hoping to buy low, then let the market skyrocket.
Gold is an easy investment to sell someone. You know what it is, you can hold it, it makes sense.

Stocks are much less understandable and lets not talk bonds.

However, the market IS a winner.

Thanks, like I said I haven’t heard of Boggle Heads. I see it’s a forum, I was thinking something different for some reason.

When you say entire market index funds, do you mean like a ETF “exchange traded fund?”

I only have two mutual funds from a rollover ira. They are doing all right. Pretty steady overall. But I don’t want to pay the fees associated with mutual funds.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
I don't put my money in anything that I don't understand or have expertise in.
I don't invest.....period.
Haven't lost a dime in all my years.
Just my unusual way of living; I'm happy with it.

J.

NC FNS

Bearcat
I’ve never had the time to educate myself enough to be good at investing. Got lucky in 2008, had to cash in a 401K for $15,000, hated paying the 10% penalty, but then the crash came a few days later, and my $15,000, had I kept it in the 401K, would’ve been worth less than $8,000. Made it easier to swallow the 10% penalty.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
I follow Warren Buffet’s advice and invest consistently in a low cost S&P 500 index fund. I also don’t check the account but once a year. Boring but effective.

NetNathan

Bearcat
Well my retirement money is down 20% over last year through Thrivent and their " experts" . My play money for day trading myself through Robinhood is a different story. If I remember right at the beginning of COVID I invested 6500 dollars in big companies that were down like 75% that I figured would come back a lot when they could get back to work. In 18 months my thoughts on that were realized with the value of my stocks tripling . I needed a new car so I bought a new Subaru Crosstrek. In the end with tax licensing and an extended warranty I paid less than 10,000 for the car after cashing out with Robinhood.
You were wise. I wish I had not missed it. When we went into that 1 month lockdown over Covid, all the transportation stocks (especially railroad stocks) dumped almost 75%. They were ALL back up 2 months later.... A lot of wise people made millions.

bobski

Hunter
when i bought my home 25 years ago, the seller invested his profit from the sale in day trading on line.
he was playing that snipe method.....then his computer had to reboot.
he lost it all in 2 minutes.
my mothers home needed a furnace last week.
ive been saving for it over the years. it went out, i ordered it in and paid cash. call me old america.
dad said:
...never desire something you cant afford.
......dont invest in anything youre not willing to lose.
....all that do, can afford the loss. you cant.

he was right and im old now. i wear my shoes until there are holes in them. i run my cars into the ground. i oil my guns to make them last.

Latest posts