The Southpaw Friendly Ruger PC Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Since I'm left-handed I'm always appreciative when manufactures make some concessions to us in their designs and Ruger has provided several left-hand friendly features in their new PC Carbine. Some of these are described in the owner's manual but, for those who haven't studied it or are considering buying a PC Carbine here are the details.

Charging handle: The charging handle can be swapped to the left side of the receiver merely by loosening it's retaining bolt with the provided 5/32" hex key and reinstalling it in the provided left-side threaded hole. Be sure to torque it properly no matter which side you put it on.

Magazine Catch: The magazine catch can be reversed. Doing so requires removing the stock and magazine well and removing one small bolt with the provided 5/16" hex key. The catch, it's spring and the opposite side plate are removed and reinstalled in on the opposite sides and the gun reassembled. The reversed magazine catch works with all Ruger SR9/Security9 magazines with no problems. To use the reversed catch with Glock magazines you have to buy (or have) Generation 4 or newer magazines since they have retainer notches on both sides of the magazine.

Safety: This is one area that Ruger didn't make left-handed accommodations for but Tactical Innovations sells a mirror image safety originally intended for the 10/22 that works perfectly in the PC Carbine trigger group. It's only $12 and can be installed with no tools if you read and follow the instructions on the TI web site. Power Custom and Volquartsen also sell 10/22 reversible safeties and I assume they will also work in the PC Carbine but I have no experience with either of them.

I hope the above info is useful to lefties who already have a PC Carbine or are considering buying one.

Tancred

Bearcat
Thanks for the information. I'm left-handed and have a new PCC. I was wondering what to do with the safety. Now I know.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
Thanks for that info. I'm right handed but left-eye dominant, so shoot from the left shoulder. The left-handed safety info is particularly useful.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
I'm right handed, right eye dominant, and do not yet own a PC Carbine.
However, I want to say thank you for the detailed info.
That is exactly why I come to this forum. :D :D :D

Ilikeguns

Bearcat
I am a right handed, left eye dominant, shooter. Handguns I shoot on the right side, rifles and shotguns on the left. Last week I picked up my new PC Carbine and a new Glock 26 Gen 5 w/Ameriglo sights. I ordered a bunch of Glock magazines to go with ones I had leftover from a Gen 4 Glock I sold several years ago. This Ruger is one of the most fun to shoot firearms I have ever owned. The low cost of 9mm ammo (vs some of the other calibers I shoot) is a real plus. I'm playing around with scopes right now to see what works best for me. Red dot vs fixed, I even have a 45 degree rail section from GG&G added into the mix. I really appreciate the information you provided for setting up the PC Carbine for left side use. I'm going to change a few things, and your extra insight, over and above what the manual offers, is quite helpful.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Excellent information. I'm right handed, but installed the bolt handle on the left side( ala MP-40)so that I can run the gun and keep my right hand where it belongs, on the grip, ready to go. Bob! :wink: