The Snap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Some old memories.

Have you heard the sound that a rifle bullet makes when it goes by your head? That tiny sonic boom that tells you somebody is shooting at you? Or heard the sound that a 8" Naval shell makes as it flies over your position? Felt the ground shock of a 500lb bomb going off a few hundred yards away? The hot gasoline smell of napalm cans sitting in the tropical sun? The jingle of spent rounds hitting a tin roof? Felt the fire and explosions of a fully loaded B-57 that crashed on takeoff? Seen a buddies head rolling by? Shoot your way out of a cat house?

No answers are needed or expected. Sorry for dumping on y'all, but I needed to offload some things. :(

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
No problem Gunny. Offload as much as you want, anytime you want.
Shoot me a PM if you'd like. :)

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Gunny, vent anytime. While not all have had exactly the same experiences, many of us have had some or similar ones. We're here, friends aren't. But we get up everyday and keep doing the best we can.

Might think about finding a group to talk to. Or just a friend with some common ground and a few beers. Funny how the good things can come to mind and help take the edge off the bad.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Vent all you need Gunny (and others)

THANK YOU ALL

I was a mere ten year old boy delivering newspapers at the time. Yet I still remember being offended, more like pissed, at the news I was delivering showing what was happening at home. Some will say that was because I had brother that spent some time at Khe Sahn, (he came home) but that had nothing to do with it.

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
The sound of a bullet flying by overhead means the shooter missed you !

Some of the others are memories too horrible to imagine, especially if they involved your buddies.

Feel free to vent anytime - many people just keep it bottled up inside.
All the best to you and all who have served.

Myron

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Haven't heard those sounds Gunny, BUT I did know an old Chief Bos'ns Mate that said a 16 inch round from the MO sounded like a BOX Car flying through the air over your head.

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
My grandpa (who went by Gene, coincidentally) served in the Pacific theater in WWII. He didn't talk much about it until almost thirty years later, and I was his "ol' buddy" (even though I was only four years old the first time he talked about the war to me) who got to hear many of his recollections. I know how much it bothered him sometimes, but I instinctively knew that he needed to share and I cherish those stories. They illustrated his trust in me...that I wouldn't judge him or feel he was weak when he spoke of the loss he felt when some of his shipmates didn't make it back to the carrier, or how he felt when they circled around a capsized Japanese destroyer shooting the men swarming up the sides of the ship because they knew the Japs wouldn't return for them and they could see thousands of sharks in the water, and shooting them seemed a more humane death than exposure or being eaten alive. I never grew up with a false sense of war being glamorous. I believe very much that our nation needs warriors, and I am thankful that there are men who will stand up and do the hard things that need to be done. I just feel a deep and abiding sorrow that some of them can't find an "ol' buddy" to open up to. There are many of us out here who would proudly and happily lend an ear any time.

God bless, Gunny

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Gunny take care my friend. Venting is healthy, memories come and go, try to keep things in perspective.
PM me if needed I will send you my phone number lets talk. ps

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Thanks for the concern and support y'all. I've got it all under control. Been dealing with these bubble up memories for quite a few years. :)

stevemb

Hunter
My Dad said the 8" heavy cruiser rounds going over were the worst, terrible screaming sound. Kinda the 357 of naval hardware I guess. Still, he said, there's no such thing as too much bombardment, if it's yours. Wish we lived closer Gunny.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
stevemb said:
My Dad said the 8" heavy cruiser rounds going over were the worst, terrible screaming sound. Kinda the 357 of naval hardware I guess. Still, he said, there's no such thing as too much bombardment, if it's yours. Wish we lived closer Gunny.

Yep. First time I heard them was in '66 from the Canberra. 300 or so lbs of steel and HE with MV of 2500fps makes quite a racket. 17mile range.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
GunnyGene said:
Thanks for the concern and support y'all. I've got it all under control. Been dealing with these bubble up memories for quite a few years. :)

Happens to most of us from time to time. Sometimes it's more frequent than others, then they go away for a bit. The trigger is different for everyone. But when it happens talk or as you did post. There are lots of willing ears and eyes, someone will listen and it helps.

I'm lucky, I have family. Dads gone but I have an uncle left and two cousins. Now the boys, nephews and nieces. It helps.

stevemb

Hunter
Titan Aircraft has a facility just up the road. They build a 3/4 replica of the P-51. We see them often here. They always put a smile on my Dad's face when he was alive. I miss him so..

Latest posts