The Single Action as a carry gun~further.........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
That's one of the things I like best about the Mernickle. With an SA, you really need the hammer and trigger exposed and there's really no reason not to.

coyote

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
That's one of the things I like best about the Mernickle. With an SA, you really need the hammer and trigger exposed and there's really no reason not to.

i respectfully disagree.

i've had problems with holsters that expose hammer or trigger.

ie: back 40 years ago all holsters i owned exposed those parts, yet i've had SAs pulled out of the holster, horseback, when a juniper limb caught inside the trigger guard, ripping the firearm out and flipping it into the dirt.... and i've had ropes catch of the hammer and cock the weapon... also once had the hammer get cocked when my elbow hit it... and had it happen when hit while unloading a saddle... sh*t happens, even in the city going to a friendly BBQ.

my wife is a day-rider, moving & branding cattle while horseback for neighboring ranches, usually in the wilderness. she's been buckarooing for over a quarter century. she carries a 45LC SA daily. problems like i described have happened to her so often that she'll now only carry in a full-flap or sparks-style holster.

i originally described this problem to milt sparks back in the seventies, so he built me a couple of custom models with both covered. seems he liked the idea so much that the next year almost every holster he made had these features. the HSR holster i posted above is a direct descendant of them.

another reason for covering the trigger guard is to prevent newbies from using their forefinger to lift the weapon out. i've even seen seasoned SA users do this and when asked if that was safe, they claimed it was because the weapon can't be trigger-cocked. yet if they used the same technique some other time when wearing a DA, they might well shoot themselves in the foot.

so while having those triggers and hammers exposed is "nicer looking" and more traditional, its not as safe, in my opinion.

that's why i won't use a Mernickle.

ZVP

Bearcat
Single Actions as Carry guns makes for a calss act. Like the Am. Rifleman article said "you'll probablly only fore a two rounds". A Ruger gives you the option of six and if it hets worse than that it sounds like Gunsite load two trick and it reloads sorts quick. I can't imagine how bad stress would hinder your reloading though.. sure makes you appreciate speed loaders...
ZVP

laremm

Bearcat
P2070087.jpg

P2070088.jpg

ZVP

Bearcat
Mine is a Stainless .357 4 5/8 bbl New Model, do you think they make a nice high ride like that for it?
Very nice job fitting the triggerguard on that holster it coveres the trigger with just enough exposed for a quick grip on the revolver.
ZVP

BearBio

Buckeye
I carry a 3.5" Bisley Vaquero in 45 colt when woodswalking, . In griz country, I have 300gr handloads at about 1250 fps.

(AND pepper spray)

Oh, El Paso Threepersons or El Paso Shoulder holster.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Coyote:

I read and appreciate your response. However, I am talkin' about urban carry as self defense, not a field carry or working gun. When afield I've always used a heavy gunbelt and Keith type holster with a firm snap and safety strap.

I never was a hand at ropin' so never had that concern. If I were to try ropin' I'd probably opt for a cross-draw, but would probably be better advised to go un-armed.

As a matter of fact, I have ordered the Mernickle holster, so I'm on my way to a new experience.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Bob Wright

ZVP

Bearcat
My Woods carry gun is a 4 5/8" New Model Vaquero in .357 Magnum carried in a classic 1880's sholder rig. It's not as fast as a crossdraw but is completelly out of the way should I want to spend some time rifle shooting.
The whole rig fits under a light Levi Jacket and carries the weight well.
To wear the gun exposed over a jacket or sweatshirt one simply removes a leather thong and locates it to another set of holes in the main sholder crossover. Takse about ten minutes to re-lace the sholder holster for nearly any size overclothes.
I prefer to keep the gun inside the coat though.
The 357 magnum caliber is more than enough for the smaller dangerous game I run across in the Calif foothills.
ZVP