The Single Action as a carry gun~further.........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I recently shot off my mouth about the deficiencies of the single action revolver as a carry gun. Since then, I've sort of been experimenting to learn what I'm talking about, if you know what I mean.

So, been carrying, around the house, a .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk or old model Vaquero. These in a home-made Keith type holster.

Again, I prefer carry on my Wright hip. My guns are 4 5/8" barrels. The length of the holster does extend below my vest. O.K. this is not too bad, still can sit comfortably in Jeep. My Keith type holster is basket weave, so it shouts "gun holster!"

So, my thinking now is to find a pancake type, high ride, cut-down front, plain dark brown leather, open end. The open end allows a slightly shorter holster, but covers the gun barrel. Exposed leather can be cell phone case, calculater case or whatever else the yuippies carry nowadays. Exposed blue steel is, well, "gun."

Observing my draw in the mirror, my draw is not straight up, as in the American Rifleman article, as I notice my gun is angled backward as I draw. Further, I do not bring my gun to eye level. My earliest training was to draw as if delivering a punch to someone's midsection.

Still searching for a holster.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
After posting this I went to the Gunblast site and saw the Mernickle version. This looks like what I'm talking about.

Any experiences you'd care to share?

Bob Wright

CraigC

Hawkeye
The Mernickle PS6 is excellent! It is what I use to pack a custom flat-top .44Spl quite often when the weather is cool.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
The Mernickle PS6 is excellent! It is what I use to pack a custom flat-top .44Spl quite often when the weather is cool.

West Tennessee? Well, we finally got some cool weather!

Bob Wright

RonEgg

Blackhawk
Bob, I have carried with the PS6 and it works well. I do, at times, have trouble getting my right shoulder to work properly, so the relatively high draw can be tough. On those days, I shift to the cross draw with the same holster and again it works fine.

Stoots

Buckeye
Bob Wright said:
After posting this I went to the Gunblast site and saw the Mernickle version. This looks like what I'm talking about.

Any experiences you'd care to share?

Bob Wright

Bob, I haven't bought one yet, but I like the looks of this Mernickle:

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6sar8.html

I think I'm gonna have to try one, thanks for the comments on it fellas!

:wink:

tek4260

Buckeye
Try the PS6. I love mine and I have changed the gripframe and ejector rod housing to aluminum on my New Vaquero 45 to make it a nice light carry gun. I need to get around to weighing it, but I can tell you it is probably as light as most any SA can be.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
How about a Simply Rugged Holster? Jeff Quinn from Gunblast likes them, and he's usually pretty fair with his assessment of products.

www.simplyrugged.com

coyote

Single-Sixer
Bkat said:
How about a Sheriff's model? Anybody use one for carry?

i daily carry a 45LC 3.5" sheriff-like model (but with ejector) made by USFA, that they call a Storekeeper, in a Milt Sparks HSR holster. because it doesn't hang down much, i just cover it with a short jacket when in town. no problem with it digging in the ribs when in a vehicle or if horseback. (when doing really ruff/dirty work, i use the same holster to carry my 3.75" Montado, either revolver filled with Cast Performance 265 gr WFNGC on top of 8.5 gr Unique)

USFA-pix-f.jpg

USFA-pix-b.jpg

Montado-1.jpg

RaisinRiverRon

Single-Sixer
Bob Mernickle makes great holsters.
I have a PS6SA for my Anniversary Flattop .357 and a PS2 for both my .45 Sheriff's Model Vaquero and my .45 5.5" Blackhawk.
The PS2 is an IWB holster, I can carry either gun under a loose untucked t-shirt. Eagle Gunfighter grips are thinner and profile less than factory stocks aiding in concealability.
The PS6SA is very comfortable, it's my favorite driving holster when worn crossdraw.
Don't forget to get a matching belt, it makes all the difference in the world wearing a belt made for carrying a holster and the holster slots or loops made to fit the belt.
I've had my PS6SA and Ranger belt for about 5 years and the PS2's for 2 and 1 year respectively and wear my ranger belt and one of the holsters every day including wearing the belt at work doing maintenance and they have held up just fine.

batmann

Single-Sixer
If you are looking for a pancake style, it's had to beat Simply Rugged. If you want belt type the ones mentioned are very good, but one you should check out as well is the Galco SAO. It rides high and can be carried cross draw as well.

tek4260

Buckeye
Here is a poor pic of the NV in the Mernickle. Rides very high and tight to the body.

101_0364.jpg

Here is the same revolver with the aluminum parts installed. I still have to get around to stripping them and polishing. Or I might just media blast the whole thing and get rid of all that bling. I think a matte finish will look better.

101_2205.jpg

I carry my 3.5" Birdshead on occasion in a cordura IWB holster. I've had the holster so long I forgot who made it. It was pretty inexpensive but has held up well. I also just got an extra cylinder for the pistol that I'll be carrying in a spare cylinder holster for black powder revolvers that I got from Cabela's several years ago. I figure swapping cylinders will be ALOT quicker than a full reload.

C.S.

PS
HOW DO I UPLOAD PICTURES FROM MY COMPUTER!!!!

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I carry my SS Birdshead Sheriffs model on occasion when outdoors or woodswalking. I have an El Paso Tom Threepersons for it or sometimes use an El Paso Duke holster cross draw. I may carry several different loads in it depending on the anticipated situation, but one favorite is a RCBS 45-270-SAA loaded up to around 1080fps (Brian Pearce's load data from Handloader articles) which shoots to POA at 25 yds and is a little hotter than my usual load for it at 950. In case of bad tempered critters like black bears or mean piggies, I figure it will give me some advantage. Should work well enough for the other types too! The BH grip fitted Single Six is mostly for plinking fun, or in case I need "backup" :)

Birdshead-Rugerpair.jpg

coyote

Single-Sixer
Carolina Sorillo said:
HOW DO I UPLOAD PICTURES FROM MY COMPUTER!!!!

CS: if this is a real question, maybe this will help-

the easiest way is to upload the picture to a host.

i use Photobucket (free service). others use on-line services like Imageshack.

best to first resize the image to around 800 pixels on the longest side.

once its hosted, you can copy the basic image info for where your image is now located.

then when posting it you can often pick an Insert Image (or Img) button in the writing menu. just add the copied info where you wish to display the image (in this case here you first click the Img button, paste the image location, then click the Img* button again... at other sites both Img show up and you have to paste the image location between the two "img" brackets) and your done.

that's all that's needed on some forums (like here at Ruger Forum) to post images....

----

but not all forums have this option. for these you need to do it manually. you'll need the image location info (at Photobucket its one of four image options they give you when you hover over a thumbnail).

copy the "img" info (the direct image link to your uploaded picture) that the host offers.

it must have "img" tags at both ends of the link. they are often ready-built for you (photobucket does this for you). just insert this info where you want the image to show up.

----

and if the host doesn't offer a pre-made link with the "img" tags, you can write them yourself:

you write the head and tail tags so the forum server automatically loads your image:

the first tag being a "[" then "img" followed by a closing bracket "]".

after you paste in the image link you do almost the same thing, but in a closing form with a slash, like this "[/" plus the img tag and then a closing bracket "]".

(i've tried to actually type this out for you but the servers won't show it, instead the server tries to find it.)

and the picture should automatically show up.

ie: here's the link to a hosted image location of one of mine photos used elsewhere on this forum: http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/oregoncoyote/USFA-pix-a.jpg

when i put those two "img" opening & closing tags on either side (and don't forget all the brackets and the "/" in the second tag), it looks like this:

USFA-pix-a.jpg

Thanks 'yote

After I posted that I went over to the "Gallery" and saw that I can't upload from my computer here. That sucks, I's gonna show y'all my Birsheads. Oh well. That's the only negative thing I have found about this forum. I reckon that ain't too bad. :wink:

C.S.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Most of the holsters shown engulf the hammer and trigger completely swallowing the gun. I prefer one such as the Mernickile with trigger guard exposed.

Bob Wright