The Saga of Blue Old Army SN 70 (140-00070)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This is an interesting (I think) longish story with several odd turns and unresolved questions. I bought this with a brass frame which included a factory letter. The gun originally came from an advanced level Engineer (Ruger employee ) who got it for his friend. The employee asked his friend if he wanted brass and he said yes. The gun was delivered to the friend with the brass frame. The letter does not state the prefix but it does state the correct Model BP-7B and states brass frame. Ruger could not have confused it with the actual stainless #70 as that gun is known not to have brass and would be a model KBP-7.

Now, Ruger cannot verify the prefix 70 came with brass and has no idea why the letter/letters say it did. Also this is the second letter, which was written in 1998. It states a 1975 ship date which is also incorrect. The first letter which was written in 1992 shows a 1965 date which obviously just a typo. That letter does not state a model number , but does confirm the brass frame. Again SN 70 stainless does not have a brass frame.

The invoice does not show brass frame.

Why do both letters state brass when stainless SN 70 is not brass?
Why no brass noted on invoice?
Did the Ruger employee have it swapped but not note any work orders or did he swap after he got it ? He would have had access to brass frames.

My guess is the employee got it swapped without authorization, paid the invoice as a non brass and sold it to his friend.

Bottom line it does not letter

Moreover I stated this confirmation at WMG's suggestion as one of his doesn't letter. That will teach me to leave well enough alone :wink: :wink:

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Devilish litte engineer probably bought a standard blue old army, brought it back into the plant and had a brass frame fitted to it..

Thus as you said factory records would not indicate that, as you have said.

Betting there are lots of odds and ends laying around engineering and areas of the plant, and some strange (unsubstantiated) bguns have likely made there way out of there.

Sorry to hear it did not letter for you, but the grip frame is still quite valuable as you know.

To at least recoup some of the potential loss, you could put the correct grip frame on it and sell the brass one, betting plenty of buyers on this site for both the old army and the brass gripframe.

Good luck!

The Eng. asked his friend if he wanted the brass. He probably would have resolved that issue before the purchase since he didn't hold on to the gun or have it long. the gun it went to his friend in the same timeframe as the purchase within days. The gun is on its way to live with its relatives, the "70's". Seemed only fitting. Now I have to find another 2 digit gun I can afford