The Ruger Single Action Revolvers Manual

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I just received the book by Jerry Kuhnhausen that many have recommended. Wow! Detailed is an understatement. I can't wait to get started!

I have several NM's and 4 OM Ruger SA's. My question is: Are the OM's more difficult, less difficult, or basically the same to completely disassemble?

Does anybody want to be my spring catcher this weekend? Boiiiiing, dink dink dink. That one will be a Rosie to find... :wink:

RonEgg

Blackhawk
I bought the same after hearing about it so many times here. To say I was impressed is an understatement. I think the folks here will tell you the NM's are the toughest.

to us, the old ,models are far easier to work on and both take apart and put back together....no , you do not have to worry about springs flying across the room.....but you may "drop" them or you may "bend" ( bind) them putting the gun back together,,, take your time.....the only spring you have to "lock" back is the mainspring (Hammer spring), and that only takes for you to "cock" the gun ( pull the hammer way back and you will see a small hole appear below the "seat" retainer and you put a clip or small nail in this hole, will "lock" the assembly" together for you...with practice , a couple of hands or learn a few tricks, you can also take this assembly apart while its under pressure, but you really don't have to...good luck, read the book and pay attention.....you'll do fine.

Cholo

Staff member
Thanks for the replies! It's an OM Single Six I'll be taking apart for a deep cleaning and some minor polishing. It's good to know I won't need 3 hands to do it. It will be the 1st time I've ever taken apart a Single Action gun right down to the last spring. I can take anything apart in no time flat. Getting it back together is entirely different...Oh well, I guess I don't need that little bitty thingamaboob left over anyway.

I think I have all the tools for the job: 1 WalMart screwdriver, a 4# hammer, a bench grinder and a can of cheap 30 weight oil. That oughta do it! :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Quote; I think I have all the tools for the job: 1 WalMart screwdriver, a 4# hammer, a bench grinder and a can of cheap 30 weight oil. That oughta do it!

ROTFLMAO