The Ruger Bearcat

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My Grandkids love them, good starting firearm for them.
DSC00512.JPG

Star43

Buckeye
I was asked by a neighbor to fix his malfunctioning Bearcat. Turns out there was a piece of crud in the works- it had the safety conversion too. I took it out after repair to check function and 50 rounds later I knew I had to have one. It may be small but even in my big ol hands it feels good. Plus it fits so easily in a pocket and sort of disappears. Compare it to a Single Six for size and then realize that the firepower is the same!

Anyways, I finally found what I thought was a good one on GB. It did have the safety conversion done but included the original parts. I took it out- trigger was horrible and the cylinder lock would not engage the grooves in the cylinder. I took it apart and- horror of horrors- underneath the grips of this beautiful little gun the prior owner had used a dremel to engrave their name twice and I'm guessing a DL#. Crap! I put the original parts back in and the trigger is great and it shoots fantastic. So, she shoots great but she's ugly when naked. Well, so am I…guess that's ok. Here's a pic from when I got her View attachment 47243

Here's what was hiding under the grips…View attachment 47246View attachment 47248
Well that guy must have really loved that gun to put his name on there....Twice !!! I would not let that bother me though at all. That gun to me is absolutely gorgeous. You have a beauty there Randy.....Besides when the grips are on which they are 99.9 % of the time, who's to know or even care. And also, like you say, none of us really look good naked anyway !!! So put the grips back on !! Seriously, that is a good looking gun. 🙂🙂👍

yes, what was said above and good points by 'Contender', and yes the books can and will tell you all about them but the proof is in what one finds and likes or even dislikes, priced as market back then they were only around $40 dollars and stayed low for quite a few years, the values are in the conditions, the completeness of any package, paperwork etc, then in how early or low the serial numbers, my wife has sosme of each, the trick and the need for the books is in the details of some of the variations, rarity of the serial numbers or even the use of the "S" for 'seconds, and the "D" for duplicates and these are NOT alphabet guns, and it goes on and on far too much to try and cover in a post reply,, but still our observations, and opinions, and in my 'opinion' the newer made ( New Bearcats) are safer to shoot and use an dless likely to go down in value is an old one would do with use, and wear, etc...just do not ride them hard and put them away wet.....hell the New ones even have longer barrels, adjustable sights all steel construction fancy grip frames ( birds head) and when at any gun show most folks always stop and look , see the Bearcats, old and New,,,heck this past weekend show at OGCA I-X center here in Cleveland, I sold two old model Bearcats one from 1965 and one from 1969, and could have sold MORE...........so go ahead, ask and many here here will help you out and give our 'opinions', but for ther "in depth" and "details" please do your homework and go/get into the books...
here you go , early and somewhat later.......;)(y)

Attachments

• 31 BC-4 end set.JPG
    31 BC-4 end set.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 33
  • BC-990091.JPG
    BC-990091.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 28

Crockett12

Bearcat
after a nice action job it is a sweet little 22.
I had one for years which I carried in my backpack while hunting! Loved the little gun but the trigger was so bad, I didn't think I could take the head off a grouse at 5 yards! The trigger was gritty and had a heavy and inconsistent pull!
I asked around my local gun shops and was told not much could be done about the trigger -- so I sold it! Now I see rawly1 said he had an action job done on his. So -- I ask, who did the action job and do you know exactly what they did to help the trigger pull?

Star43

Buckeye
I had one for years which I carried in my backpack while hunting! Loved the little gun but the trigger was so bad, I didn't think I could take the head off a grouse at 5 yards! The trigger was gritty and had a heavy and inconsistent pull!
I asked around my local gun shops and was told not much could be done about the trigger -- so I sold it! Now I see rawly1 said he had an action job done on his. So -- I ask, who did the action job and do you know exactly what they did to help the trigger pull?
It's too bad you sold it, but that doesn't mean you can't get another one !! Sometimes, the second time around can be better !! 🙂👍

Star43

Buckeye
yes, what was said above and good points by 'Contender', and yes the books can and will tell you all about them but the proof is in what one finds and likes or even dislikes, priced as market back then they were only around $40 dollars and stayed low for quite a few years, the values are in the conditions, the completeness of any package, paperwork etc, then in how early or low the serial numbers, my wife has sosme of each, the trick and the need for the books is in the details of some of the variations, rarity of the serial numbers or even the use of the "S" for 'seconds, and the "D" for duplicates and these are NOT alphabet guns, and it goes on and on far too much to try and cover in a post reply,, but still our observations, and opinions, and in my 'opinion' the newer made ( New Bearcats) are safer to shoot and use an dless likely to go down in value is an old one would do with use, and wear, etc...just do not ride them hard and put them away wet.....hell the New ones even have longer barrels, adjustable sights all steel construction fancy grip frames ( birds head) and when at any gun show most folks always stop and look , see the Bearcats, old and New,,,heck this past weekend show at OGCA I-X center here in Cleveland, I sold two old model Bearcats one from 1965 and one from 1969, and could have sold MORE...........so go ahead, ask and many here here will help you out and give our 'opinions', but for ther "in depth" and "details" please do your homework and go/get into the books...
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I read his post and also yours about if one wants to know all about the different Rugers, to go out and buy the books. I actually have quite a few books about guns in general. But nothing really specializing in Ruger. Yes, I can understand how guys like you and others who have been collecting Rugers for multiple decades, can get tired of old questions they may have heard before. But to me and I can only speak for myself. As in the name of our Forum for Ruger enthusiasts, that's me. I am no expert at all. As in this thread, the first thing I said, I know nothing about Bearcats. Looking at all of these photos has been special. Guys are proud of their Bearcats, and rightfully so. As far as asking questions, yeah I am guilty of that and I can understand if an old Ruger collector doesn't want to bother answering a question. Again to me I understand that. I guess I have to limit my questions I guess. But to me, yeah to get that answer in a book., that is great. But to get that answer from an old knowledgeable collector, that is " Special". I'll try to keep my questions down, but I have to say that the only reason I've asked any question, is simply "because I didn't know the answer." Again, thanks for the reply. I really do appreciate it and the knowledge of all the folks on this Forum, and the photos too! 😊👍

Pál_K

Guns. I has it.

It would be wonderful if Ruger were to sell new Bearcats in a re-issue of that box.

... Again, thanks for the reply. I really do appreciate it and the knowledge of all the folks on this Forum, and the photos too! 😊👍

You are very welcome here. Don't worry about the questions.

Hertervillian

Saluki
I've tried to figure out why I want one. I'm a truly big guy, they lay in my hand like a toy. I don't see them too often, and decided the next one I saw was coming home with me.

Well I saw one, days after I spent all my egg money on a 22/45 and a matching can. It haunts me like a SIG P-232 I let pass, another that's too small for my hands.

Star43

Buckeye
I've tried to figure out why I want one. I'm a truly big guy, they lay in my hand like a toy. I don't see them too often, and decided the next one I saw was coming home with me.

Well I saw one, days after I spent all my egg money on a 22/45 and a matching can. It haunts me like a SIG P-232 I let pass, another that's too small for my hands.
I guess I ask too many questions, but , Egg money ?? What is "egg money" ? Does that refer to as in "too many eggs in one basket ?? "

Star43

Buckeye
I was asked by a neighbor to fix his malfunctioning Bearcat. Turns out there was a piece of crud in the works- it had the safety conversion too. I took it out after repair to check function and 50 rounds later I knew I had to have one. It may be small but even in my big ol hands it feels good. Plus it fits so easily in a pocket and sort of disappears. Compare it to a Single Six for size and then realize that the firepower is the same!

Anyways, I finally found what I thought was a good one on GB. It did have the safety conversion done but included the original parts. I took it out- trigger was horrible and the cylinder lock would not engage the grooves in the cylinder. I took it apart and- horror of horrors- underneath the grips of this beautiful little gun the prior owner had used a dremel to engrave their name twice and I'm guessing a DL#. Crap! I put the original parts back in and the trigger is great and it shoots fantastic. So, she shoots great but she's ugly when naked. Well, so am I…guess that's ok. Here's a pic from when I got her. She's from September 1966. I tried to research the name but got nowhere.View attachment 47243

Here's what was hiding under the grips…View attachment 47246View attachment 47248
You know Randy, I have seen a lot of photos here and they are all great. All well cared for guns that look just terrific........but I have to say that I think yours is my favorite. It has a special character. To me, I don't know of many guys engraving their name on their guns. Not only did your guy do it on the gun, but he did it twice. I mean, Who does that !!! The only guy I think would do that, would be a guy who loved that gun and it was very special to him. That, also to me, is not the kind of guy who would really want to part with that gun . Who knows if something happened to him or he has passed, who knows? But either way you have it now. I know you will take good care of that gun, and not only for yourself, but maybe for him too. I think it is a special gun.....😊😊👍👍

contender

Ruger Guru
I hope my post doesn't scare you off from asking questions. It wasn't meant to be that way. I was more trying to get across how many really knowledgeable people have quit posting because of seeing the same old stuff all the time.

Egg money ?? What is "egg money" ?

That's an old country saying. It goes back to the days when ladies stayed home,, and did little things to get a little extra money. Selling eggs from their chickens,, or fresh butter they churned,, or other such stuff.

That question made me chuckle.

I've known people to engrave their name or their DL number inside the grips to have "proof" if it ever got stolen that the gun was theirs.

Star43

Buckeye
I hope my post doesn't scare you off from asking questions. It wasn't meant to be that way. I was more trying to get across how many really knowledgeable people have quit posting because of seeing the same old stuff all the time.

Egg money ?? What is "egg money" ?

That's an old country saying. It goes back to the days when ladies stayed home,, and did little things to get a little extra money. Selling eggs from their chickens,, or fresh butter they churned,, or other such stuff.

That question made me chuckle.

I've known people to engrave their name or their DL number inside the grips to have "proof" if it ever got stolen that the gun was theirs.
Well now I know what "egg money" is......A saying from the good old days. I hope he earns more egg money so he can get his Bearcat.....As far as Randy's gun, I could be wrong, but I think there is a story behind that gun. The pictures look like it was babied and never shot. I'm thinking a guy writing his name "Twice" kind of shows he likes it ?? Randy should try to find out more about it, if he could. I think he did check but nothing came up. If that guy had a problem, or passed, well to me, I do think Randy will take good care of it. I think that gun is special. 👍