The Ruger 416 Hawkeye Alaskan 'Revisited'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pigswillfly

Bearcat
I have a ruger Alaskan in 416 and have been lucky with many days hunting and no problems. I have now fitted it with an adjustable trigger and it shoots a dream with groups more often than not less than calibre in size.

I have fallen in love with the cartridge so much that I rebarrelled a Browning BLR take down in 416 Ruger.

This is really something special. It is smooth accurate and a pleasure to carry. Photos coming soon. And some one said it couldn't be done. Ha

Pigswillfly

Bearcat
I should have mentioned that I am using 83.5 grains of reloader 15 behind Barnes 350 Tripple Shocks which have been lubed to reduce pressure. Velocity has been measure at 2630pfs from my 20 inch barrel hawkeye and 2675fps from my re-barreled Browning BLR.

4Sixteen

Bearcat
Very good accuracy from my 416 Ruger. My current hunting load is 82.0grs of Re15 behind a 300gr X bullet, muzzle speed is just under 2700fps. 2 shots shown here at 250yds, the target has 2" squares. :D

416300.jpg

416R.jpg

tang419

Bearcat
I want one ! I've been debating between the .375 and .416. I would love a .458 Lott in a MkII, but the price jump is huge there.

jcs271

Bearcat
Well I just brought home my new .416 and guess what. When you cycle the bolt the rounds point to far to the side and just slam right into the edge of the barrel/frame. JAMS UP SOLID EVERYTIME!

Will be calling customer service, this sucks!

A

Anonymous

Just got my Alaskan 416 and have taken it pig shooting in western nsw Australia. When I initially picked it up I was keen to cycle some of the factory ammo through it. I was initially dismayed to have feeding problems and scratches on every round and immediately thought of the coonrctrd post. I then liberally oiled the bolt, action, chamber and magazine box as well as coated a few rounds in oil and cycled them. After an apprpriate clean up I haven't had a drama since.
Having not fired a big bore before I was a bit apprehensive of recoil. I have a t3 tactical in 300wm which I use as my primary rifle for everything so I am used to a bit of bang. I was pleasantly suprised that the felt recoil was similar to firing a light weight 12g shotgun. You notice it but it was less than what I thought it might be when looking at the cArtridge. I would got so far as to say that the worst kicking rifle I own (.22,.22/250,.243,.303,.300,.416) is still my .303 jungle carbine no doubt due to the woeful original stock.
Didn't get any pigs with it this time out as had my 300 with me at those junctures however carried it on foot and it is very comfortable and handy.
I can report that it showed suitable stopping power on fox and goat.
F
I will never go to Africa and wouldn't shoot an elephant if it was for free but i would feel confident enough to use this rifle should I change my mind. JW

EVR

Single-Sixer
Stump Buster":2ncqvmlm said:
I have one and after a couple boxes of ammo, I started to experience erratic failures to eject spent casings

What you describe is common to Ruger rifles due to the weak factory ejector spring and the development of a bit of dust, dirt or dryness on the ejector.

Easy fix.

1} Remove bolt and with a fine jeweler's file, file a slight bevel on both sides of the edge of the ejector groove on the bolt. Doesn't take much, just a bit, then...

2} With same file, reach into the action from the rear and while holding the ejector UP with a screwdriver, file a slight bevel on both sides of the ejector blade. Again, not much needs to be taken off.

3} Clean all filings off with a toothbrush and replace bolt. You are good to go.

If you choose to see the problem in action before doing the fix, twist the bolt as you are ejecting the round. With a little "practice" you can duplicate the failure to eject just to say you got it to botch on-command as it were.

Ruger needs to put a wee bit of bevel on these surfaces and they also need to install a heavier ejector spring from the git-go. For a better version of the same "Win 70" type ejector {sporting a harder spring}, see a modern CZ550.

I do not recall how stiff the Win 70 ejector srings are and I don't own a 70 so I don't know if they are better, but I have heard of similar failures in Win 70's {pre-64} so maybe they need the same treatment at times.

Ruger .416's do not have a monopoly on the original poster's problem. CZ550's in 6.5x55 do ditto and some will not {as original Mausers, also} close on a round dropped into the chamber, so you are really screwed if the round gets ahead of the extractor/bolt and you then try to close the bolt on it.

On my 550, I modified the extractor to cure the drop-in problem but sent the gun back to CZ to be rebarreled to 9.3x62 to cure the feed problem. CZ's have a queer extractor, too, so I should note that I replaced the extractor with a stock GI-Mauser-98 job and now all's well. Feeds upside down, sideways-bothways and even right side up!

EVR

Single-Sixer
PS: The ejector-slot & ejector bevelling is, in my opinion, a recommended must-do on all Rugers if only because the possibility exists for a very slight nick on the slot to cause ejection failures.

Slight bevelling precludes this, and improves predictable reliability. I cannot imagine NOT doing this mod to a dangerous game rifle in particular.

Rugers come only half-finished from the factory IMO, but after a few easy, kitchen table mods are absolutely running with the most reliable and sturdy rifles ever built.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Well, it only took me a year to send it in, but I finally sent my 416 back a couple weeks ago to Ruger after the feeding issues persisted.

Result:

I received a letter today telling me that they were going to destroy my old rifle and send me a new production 416 Alaskan in its place. The downsides are that Ruger is out of Alaskans right now, so the wait will be at least 2-3 months before I get a new rifle and I'm going to have to pay to have it refinished by ROBAR again like my old one (Blacken the stainless with a Chrome Sulfide bath). That's gonna be another $200 out of pocket. :( I asked that they send the new rifle with low scope rings instead of medium rings, as that will help ease the pain a bit, so we'll see.

I wish they had an African Model in 416 they could just send me and I'd just have to buy a Hogue stock, but they still haven't released that model yet. :? That being said, if I have to throw money to a company that is involved in the gun industry, I'm happy to support ROBAR!!! Their finishes are great and their customer service is EXCELLENT (Debbie is Phenominal!!! Robbie needs to give her a raise! She remembered talking to me from a project I had done nearly 2 years ago!!! :shock: ).

Anyway...I said I'd keep everyone posted on the outcome and I'll let ya know when the rifle get's here and how it functions!!!

Here'e a pic of the one that's getting destroyed with a Busse HHFSH...
AlaskanHHFSH008.jpg

All the Best,

Stump

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Update...

Spoke to Ruger today and they sent the replacement 416 to ROBAR on the 23rd of March, so I hope to get it back home soon. ROBAR is going to blacken the entire rifle and NP3+ the trigger group and internals.

If you've been waiting for a 416 Hawkeye, they'll probably be hitting the distributors soon as I think Ruger was waiting to make my replacement with the next batch of 416 Alaskans.

I'll post pics when I get it back!!!

All the best,

Stump

BiGBoreCore

Bearcat
I found this forum while surfing looking for a solution to my LH 416 Ruger African feeding problem. I see I am not the only one. How did I get a LH 416 Ruger African when Ruger doesn't make them? First, you get a LH 375 Ruger African (bought second hand unfired $ 750 OTD), send it to Custom Gun Works in Payson, Arizona to get it rebored/rechambered into a 416 Ruger for about $ 300. However, don't think you can just pop it back into the original stock and not have any problems as I did. It only took four rounds of factory Hornady DGS to develope a nice crack at the tang. Next stop is to send it to Accuracy Innovations for a nice aluminum bedded english walnut stock. The stock fits and looks great and so far holds up fine with excellent accuracy, but I have yet to get three shots off in quick succession since it consistently jams. I didn't have this problem when it was a 375 Ruger. I used this rifle (the 375 version) in Makuti Zimbabwe last year and successfully brained two tuskless elephant cows, but wouldn't dare use it now with it's current feeding problems. The info I have read in this thread has been very helpful in my next step of making it a reliable DGR. My original plan of obtaining a very reasonably priced LH Ruger 416 African has been dashed by reality, but I am committed now.

Does anyone have any updates? I will be out of town for a couple of weeks and not able to immediately respond, but would appreciate any further info on the best course of action. I don't think sending it back to Ruger is an option for me.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
You might want to contact Mr. D'Arcy Echols. From what I hear, he is THE top "feeding issue" guy in the country and can make almost any bolt gun/ammo combination run right. I can't find a website for him, but Mr. Echols' phone number is 435-755-6842.

I think you're right about not sending the rifle back to Ruger, as the caliber has been changed and custom work has been done that you'll NEVER get your money back from. IF they were to replace it, it would be with another 375 and you'd have to start all over again.

Good luck with the rifle and PLEASE tell us more about the Elephant hunt!!!

Stump

Latest posts