The right tool makes a difference

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JFB

Hunter
When I mounted a scope on the "Beast Slayer" (my 460 Wby #1), I spent hours lapping and polishing to ensure as perfect a fit as possible. Now 30 years latter, I plan to have the recticle change and thus needed to remove the scope.

I did not use a regular screw driver to try to split the rings, it was a hollow ground driver I had been using recently to mount other scopes. These screws would NOT budge!

I thought they must be so tight now I needed to use an impact driver, so I bought one.

In prep to whack it, I found/dusted off my Brownell bit set, tapped in the 290-4 bit and just to see, put the Brownell handle on it, pressed down hard and with a firm twist, they came out nearly effortlessly!

Dang, using the "make do" screw driver wasted hours and could have ruined the screws. Taking the time to get the right tool would have been a lot less effort in the long run.

9x19

Hunter
Indeed, and I find that once the proper fitting driver is seated in the slot, a nice whack to the top of the handle with a nylon tipped hammer will often make removing a tight screw just a bit easier.

Matthew Duncan

Bearcat
My life experiences have taught me that a wrong tool(s) can be used for assembly but rarely for disassembly. Unless you're not planning on putting it back together again.