The Remington Mosin-Nagant at the range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
My local gun shop had something unique the other day, I have never been a huge fan of Mosin Nagant rifles, I owned one twenty some odd years ago, and I was not a fan of that one, and most I run into are pretty gritty and rough to say the least.

This one is different, I had seen a couple of American made Mosins over the years, never really got to handle or bother with one. This one, made by Remington in 1917 and has all the numbers matching except the bolt. The action on it is extremely slick, something the early guns are well known for but especially the Remington and Westinghouse guns.

Who knows if this gun ever made it overseas, I'm pretty sure it did, the front sight was changed out to a 1891/30 style, and it has some oddball stamps on it. One source tells me Poland, another said it could have ended up in the Spanish Civil War, but those guns tend to have a different and much rougher stock. Someone engraved a series of numbers on the stock twice, and then on the side of the magazine. With the letter prefix, it can't be someone's military ID #, one number too many at least. it might also be a Czech gun but it has none of the Finnish rework stampings so it's doubtful they got it.

The shop was selling it cheap, the same price as a standard Russian surplus Mosin, they knew it was a Remington, the shop owner didn't care, so I got it for about half the value I am told. The bore is excellent and ammo is plentiful here for them. Can't wait to range test this one.

BHNiggg.jpg

L90acg3.jpg

p6doRGg.jpg

yFkRLPo.jpg

ZLDeuAU.jpg

These are some of the markings I can't seem to get any info on.

On the very front of the trigger guard/floor plate.

oQPvIhO.jpg

This is on the left side of the forearm in the groove, it's about 1/2" tall. I was told that this "h" looking symbol is what the Poles used.

uMAavGf.jpg

I can't find anything to match this one above the serial number on the barrel.

Zfrn76v.jpg

This one is on the tang under the bolt.

HYW2veN.jpg

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I took the Remington Mosin to the range the other day. I cut out a silhouette from poster board and set it up at 50 yards first.

BHNiggg.jpg

The bottom five shots were from some surplus Russian FMJ ammo that was dated 1982. I aimed dead center and it shot where it ended up.

The next five were much tighter and to point of aim, these were Brown Bear 174 grain FMJ.

Z1JhZLF.jpg

The third group spread out more as I was shooting at 100 yards. I had one flyer. I was aiming a bit higher but it was also to point of aim except the one that dropped some.

nne7j8a.jpg

The action of this Mosin was as slick as butter, even after 15 rounds. It didn't get sticky, which they are known for at time. Recoil was actually very pleasant from the bench. I can tell you for all the surplus Mosins I have handled over the years, this thing is like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo.

AVawrva.jpg

I wish my range was longer than 125 yards because I would really like to stretch this gun out to see what it could do even with the open sights on a good target.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Thank you for Sharing and the Pictures.

Your Title caught my I because I like Remington and
I knew it was one of those Foreign, Long Rifles.

Reading through your Post several times. Could you tell
more about the Cartridge?

Thank you