"The Pacific"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
Watching "The Pacific" this weekend. A great HBO series about WWII in the pacific theatre, never watched it before its very good, stands up to "Band of Brothers." Its much darker though IMO than "Band of Brothers."

If you have not seen it and are interested in the history of the Pacific war suggest you check it out.

My father and father in law both faught in the Pacific- brutal. The film gives some idea- of how bad it must have been. Sad, both had passed on before it came out.

Highly recomended.

U/H

contender

Ruger Guru
I haven't seen it,,, but I'll be on the lookout for it. My Dad served in the Pacific too.

The Pacific is a great miniseries. I know some don't think as highly of it as Band of Brothers but I disagree with them. With Band of Brothers being based on one continuous story and The Pacific on 2 or 3 Band of Brothers did flow easier but that was just to be expected.

sigp220.45

Single-Sixer
I prefer The Pacific over Band of Brothers. You have to invest a little effort in following the three story lines, but it's worth it.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I liked it too, but we don't have HBO and skinamax LOL just showtime and encore ,but I'd love to watch it again.
Lou

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
I read the books "The Pacific" was based on, and was stunned by what I read...(that is, by the honesty of the writings). Several distinctive events I remember thinking "they will never put that in the movie....", and they did....
Great, fascinating books and a great mini series.
Dad was in the Army Air Corps, in the mid west when the war ended, awaiting deployment to the Pacific theater. He of course couldn't relate to the experiences of those on the ground who did serve there, but being young and adventurous,was both disappointed and greatly relieved when he didn't have to go.

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
yep...As I recall the series was a compilation of Sledges book and another...sorry, I am crappy with titles...don't remember it.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Say; "Helmet for My Pillow." was circulating as Ruger Forum Karma; Don't remember who got it last , but it hasn't popped up for a while.

Razor

Bearcat
Great miniseries, I rate it just as good as Band of Brothers.
It's part of the Amazon Prime library if you have it.

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
Mr. Sledge has another book "China Marine" about his experience there post WWII. I am looking for that one.

The great director Sam Pekinpah of "Wild Bunch" was also a China Marine same period. I am very interested in reading and learning about that.

With the old breed

Helmet for my pillow

Red blood black sand

Are the three books "The Pacific" was evidentally based on.

DB- very welcome. I think you will like "The Pacific"

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
To my eyes it seemed more a story about individuals, the unit was lost. "The strength of the wolf is the pack, the strength of the pack is the wolf." The balance seemed better in Brothers. Just me.

Skidboot

Single-Sixer
I watched The Pacific and didn't think it was nearly as good or as engaging as Band of Brothers. Part of this could've been the difference in the theaters of war or the fact that Stephen Ambrose played such a large role in B of B.

I also didn't think the casting was anywhere near as good as B of B, and many of the roles seemed just a little too modern.

But it was worth watching.

Latest posts