The P89, your unbiased opinion.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skeleton King

Bearcat
I want to hear what some of you P89 owners really have to say about that beast of a 9mm, because I'm thinking about one, and the stores 'round here are cut-throat and don't have one.

It'll be the only 9mm I've had since my old G19 (which was good, but that Glock grip. . . ugh), and for some reason I'm gravitating toward it for plinking/car gun status. I should also mention I'm not a huge fan of plastic pistols. I'm just not. Nothing wrong with them, I just pull away from their inherent aesthetics. Oop! EDIT: 'Mis-spoke; I also have a 9mm Luger pistol. /flex B) Had to throw that in there, but no, it's not a good "car gun". :roll:

I always do a large amount of research before I purchase anything priced beyond a large-sized combo at Wendy's, and I know a lot of the "usual suspect" remarks about the gun in question, so "trigger sucks, get SIG" type remarks will just be wasted space.

Besides the initial production of the 85's, Is it really as "inaccurate" as people say (I mean, Irv Stone was commissioned to help on the barrels of most of the P-series guns, and I hear he's pretty good with tubes :p), 'trigger as awful as people slant them, is it really that blocky/heavy of a thing to carry, and is the grip really as ergonomic as a carburetor?

After considering all those points, would I be better suited for something closer to a CZ+cones, 3rd Gen. S&W or another metal 9mm I'm not mentioning?

Thanks guys/gals! :mrgreen:

bub

Single-Sixer
Skeleton King, I'll offer my $0.02. I have a fairly early P89DC and love it. Keep in mind, it is (and was designed to be) a full-sized duty-type gun. They aren't real small and are kinda bulky. Given this, I love my P89. It is accurate, durable, reliable and built hell-for-stout. In fact, I like mine so much, and have so much confidence in it, that I have a duty holster for it and it is my backup in case anything happens to my Glock 21 duty gun for when I work at my local Police Department (I just happen to like my G21 more than the P89, but that doesn't take away from the P89).

Provided you like the ergonomics of the P89, it will serve you very well and will likely outlast you, even if shot a LOT. Go put your hands on one and see how you like it.

Bub

revhigh

Hawkeye
Skeleton King":26erp2oc said:
I always do a large amount of research before I purchase anything

Is it really as "inaccurate" as people say

would I be better suited for something closer to a CZ

3rd Gen. S&W or another metal 9mm I'm not mentioning?

If you truly do a lot of research, then that should tell you what you really want to know, that is, if you do honest research anywhere but HERE.

As to the rest of your questions above, the answers are ... Yes ... Yes ... and NO, in that price range, since you ruled out the G17, G19, and G26.

If you plan to use this gun at the range, for any kind of accuracy work, you'll be disappointed, if you just want to throw it in the truck's glove compartment for SD, you'll be fine, but I'd want something smaller anyway. There simply is ZERO comparison between a Ruger P89 and a CZ75 ... period ... I've 'owned' (past tense)several Ruger P series guns that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn ... from INSIDE the barn ... with all the doors shut, and currently own 5 or 6 CZ's. Take it for what it's worth.

If you MUST have a metal Ruger P-series, get a P90, if you want it to be accurate.

REV

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Rev is right...If I needed a gun that could tolerate being launched from a cannon into a brick wall and still function the P89 is your gun. It would be overbuilt for a 10mm much less a 9mm sized gun.

The CZ, if that is what you are looking at, honestly is a better gun in just about every measure other than ability withstand getting run over by a tank...which the 89 might be able to do.

The 89 is a decent gun, but it is overbuilt almost to the point of being ridiculous.

Skeleton King

Bearcat
Rev, yeah, I've done enough research around here to know you greatly dislike the P89 for some reason! :p I'm pretty sure they passed the U.S.'s accuracy tests when Ruger put it though its paces back in the 80's, and not to mention the amount of folks who use the p-series 9's in IDPA seem to have some pretty good success from what's on the internet. So, forgive me if I raise a brow at your closed-barn metaphor, but hey if you have first hand experience, you're at a better standpoint than I am, and I appreciate the feedback!

I'm pretty sure I ruled out Glocks when I noted nay on Tupperware, but yes, if I wasn't so opinionated on guns' aesthetic appeal (and their grip), Glocks would be a decent choice. It's just hard for me to "like" a plastic gun.

CZ's are nice for sure, and their accuracy is hard to beat without spending another grand, but I happen to live in TN (humid, wet and hot) and this would be a working gun. 'Last time I checked, a SS 75 runs a cool 600 bones at the base, double that of a P89, and this nine isn't to be something glamorous. Good suggestion.

Keepem' coming!

Mike J

Hunter
If you have trouble finding a P-89 you might consider a 9mm P-94. They discontinued the P-89s though someone mght still have some NIB ones.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I have to second Mike J on the P94 in 9mm.

I know ever little about the P89, but I can say a bit about the P94. I have found that it is very accurate for informal target shooting.

Exactly how accurate is it? I do not know. I did put it on paper once, and I believe I got a 3 inch 10 shot group at 25 yards on a bench supported, but I can not remember for sure as that was many years ago. I use it to shoot metal plates and other types of plinking. Sitting I can shoot an 8" diameter plate 1 in every 3 to 4 shots at 100 yards.

Charlie

A

Anonymous

I own 2 p89s,1 blued and 1 stainless.the blued one i got when they first came out and it has never failed me and it's still my everyday carry gun.It's not the lightest or prettiest but i trust my life to it.The gun eats any ammo i put through it but it's not accurate with everything.remington umc 115s and blazer brass 115 are the most accurate.I shot some remanufactured stuff and i had to put a 4x4 sheet of plywood behind the target to see where they were hitting and they were all over the wood.hogue rubber grips make the gun feel more balanced and fits my hand better,so you'll want to invest 20 bucks there.Now the stainless gun is only about 12 or 13 years old and it's only had 16 rounds through it,10 when my father first got it(he shot 1 magazine through it) and 6 by me after he passed away.The triggers are different on both guns,on the older gun with the hammer cocked the trigger is right there with no free play but the stainless has about 3/4 free play.The other thing i didn't like with the stainless was i found it very difficult to aim out in the sun,now maybe it's just me but i had a hard time lining up the 3 white dots with the top of the gun being so bright

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
One of my first pistols. And one I will never get rid of.
Take the Glocks, my Smiths, whatever.
P89's don't jam. Period.
That is the only real job of a pistol. Target accuracy, pretty triggers,
NASA finishes, the rest is just fluff.
Someones threatening my life, I want a P89, heavy, steady, no
recoil, a rock solid killing machine.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Skeleton King":2ixcctmq said:
The CZ accuracy is hard to beat without spending another grand, but I happen to live in TN (humid, wet and hot) and this would be a working gun. 'Last time I checked, a SS 75 runs a cool 600 bones

Hey SK, if I were considering a CZ75B, I'd just get the black polycoat finish ... no corrosion issues with that one, and far less money ... less than $500 from what I recall. Just an FYI. I have a black polycoat AND a SS 75B, and to be honest, I like the polycoat best. If all you want is a working gun, the P89 is fine ... if you're going to be shooting 'against' your buddies at the range for real or for fun, the P89 is not the best choice. Like Gator said, the P89 is rock solid reliable, and if you don't care about accuracy, it will be fine. I demand reliability AND accuracy in every gun I own, and the P89 and P91 I had definitely did not measure up. Oddly enough, the only other gun that I got rid of due to accuracy issues was a CZ40B. That gun just plain sucked ... reliable as a stone, and the ergonomics of a 1911, but after trying about 15 different hand loads, I gave up .... on the CZ40B AND the .40 in general. So you see, it's just not Ruger semiautos I don't care for, I don't care for ANY gun that has accuracy issues. :D

REV

REV

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Yep it ain't no target pistol. But it ain't a jammer either.
I would take the latter anyday for life saving purposes.
So Rev is right, it depends on what you want it for.

You want a toy to plink and count bullet holes in paper and how close
they are together? That ain't no P89
You want a rock solid never fail machine to blast away dirtbags? THAT is a p89. It will put 15- 147 grainers spaced all over the chest of a humanoid coming in your front door with no problem.

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
I'm sorry, but I kinda got to chuckle a bit when I hear accuracy reports of handguns at 100 yards...I really just don't see a practical situation of ever needing to thread a needle with a pistol at those kinda distances...I bought a P93 a while back, brought it home, dropped a fast food drink cup in the yard, stepped of about 30 yards...put five through it...all five hit the cup...and I'm no marksman...My two cents says get the P89...Rugged and Reliable appeal to me when it comes to defendin' my life and my family's lives...

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I've had moderately different experiences than Revhigh as well with the P85/P89 pistols that I've owned. My current P89, a very late production (August 2007) is an absolute tack-driver, producing 1" to 1.5" groups, with total reliability, and has been used for carry, IDPA, and steel plate competitions. It also has a commendable trigger, both in DA and SA.

Ruger throughout the P85/P85MkII/P89 production continuously applied incrimental on going improvements to the guns. What I'd suggest looking for are the later production examples of the P89, visually distinguishable by the breech of the barrel rising above the plane of the slide; Ruger modified the barrel/slide fit for increased effeciency and accuracy. These guns also benefit from having the later sefety lever configuration, which is much more ergonomic than the earlier, smaller-shelved version. Late P89s also had a magazine modification, which placed the cartridge to be chambered a bit higher in the receiver; these magazines were also in a more desirable stainless steel tube/larger polymer floorplate configuration, slightly easing speed reloads.

I unhesitatingly recommend such a P89 for your consideration.

Best, Jon

revhigh

Hawkeye
P94/GP100":bp7py4uc said:
visually distinguishable by the breech of the barrel rising above the plane of the slide; Ruger modified the barrel/slide fit for increased effeciency and accuracy.

Interesting Jon, I didn't know that ... I bet that helped a LOT with the accuracy issues. Too bad they didn't know that for the first 10 years or so of the P89's production. :D

Good information ! I'd like to try yours. I actually really liked the ergo's of my P89, especially with the Hogue fingergrip aftermarket grips ... I liked the feel enough to buy the cursed P91. Then I experienced the CZ's and it was all over LOL.

REV

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Jon,

Any idea about what time they made those changes? What SN range I should look at? Also any photo's of what I should look for?

I have been thinking about either a P89 or P90 for my father.

CATTLEDAWG,

I assume you are talking about me mentioning shooting Metal plates at 100 yards? I never really went into any accuracy report on it. I figured if the handgun can hit the plates, then it is accurate enough. Also, you mentioned practical accuracy. Just shooting a handgun at 15 yards at 7-15 yards as fast as you can gets pretty old after a while, and is not really challenging. My P94 is a range fun gun, so nothing really practical about it.

I do often shoot for Practical accuracy with my Sig P220 in 45ACP, and my Ruger SP101 in 357. I shoot them for practical accuracy, because they are the only guns I have I would consider for Self Defense. The 9mm just does not do it for me, and is little more than a fun range round, In my eyes anyways :). I must say though that 7-15 yard practical accuracy gets old even with them, so I often shoot them at 20-30 yards.

Charlie

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I love my P89 and it is a tack driver. Took awhile for the trigger to get sweet. It is the number one will survive any ordeal and work handgun I own.

You shouldn't talk yourself out of trying one out.

They don't make them any more so the prices will be going up on them as they become more scarce.

tk

railroader

Single-Sixer
I don't have a p89 but I have a p95 and a p97. Both are super reliable. In fact the p95 is my home defense gun. I also have a cz75b in 9mm. Now if I had to chose one of the 3 it would be the cz. The cz is very reliable, very ergonomic and it is really accurate. The p97 is pretty darn accurate, the p95 is combat accurate but the cz shines in the accuracy department. I have shot all 3 in local matches. The cz is much easier to shoot fast and well than my rugers. That said I love how the rugers are so simple to operate, mine are decocker only and the fact that they will work if the need arises. Mark

Badwolf

Bearcat
I've had my P-89 since 1996. I have put thousands of rounds through it with no failures. My dad's Sig 220 is more accurate with an amazing trigger. But when we go to the range, we are about even. I usualy out shoot my buddies and they have Glocks and XD's. In my circle it comes down to the shooter. To my way of thinking, reliability trumps tack driving accuracy. I have been thinking of trading something smaller to ease my conceled cary. My only advice would to be to find someone who has one and shoot it a lot.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
"I've had moderately different experiences than Revhigh as well with the P85/P89 pistols that I've owned. My current P89, a very late production (August 2007) is an absolute tack-driver, producing 1" to 1.5" groups, with total reliability, and has been used for carry, IDPA, and steel plate competitions. It also has a commendable trigger, both in DA and SA.

Ruger throughout the P85/P85MkII/P89 production continuously applied incrimental on going improvements to the guns. What I'd suggest looking for are the later production examples of the P89, visually distinguishable by the breech of the barrel rising above the plane of the slide; Ruger modified the barrel/slide fit for increased effeciency and accuracy. These guns also benefit from having the later sefety lever configuration, which is much more ergonomic than the earlier, smaller-shelved version. Late P89s also had a magazine modification, which placed the cartridge to be chambered a bit higher in the receiver; these magazines were also in a more desirable stainless steel tube/larger polymer floorplate configuration, slightly easing speed reloads.

I unhesitatingly recommend such a P89 for your consideration.

Best, Jon"

Jon, the chart shows that my P89 was produced in 2005, and the breech part of the barrel does rise above the slide, is mine then a "later" model according to your post?

Chris1

Bearcat
I think it to be funny what people say about the ergonomics on the gun. Once you get the Hogue grips on it I think it feels great. The trigger does have some serious travel in it. If you are familiar with the g 19 you will find that the striker fired glock trigger is actually better than the single action pull of the p89. That being said as a home defense/ vehicle gun, I don't think anything can be better. my g19 is my carry gun and the p89 is next to the bed at night. I just picked up my p89 so it will be replacing the beretta 96 as the home defense gun and will be relegated to vehicle duty. I have owned many handguns in my day and I feel that I have been longing after the 89 for its ruggedness for quite some time now.

Ruger:
P896.jpg

Glock 19:
IMG_1714.jpg

Beretta former HD gun now vehicle gun:
IMG_1712.jpg

in the spirit of being a ruger form, the sr9:
IMG_1713.jpg