The opposite of Bob Wright's observation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I sell the hay I produce-sometimes locally and sometimes it goes hundreds of miles. My Cousin is an auctioneer and 'brokers' hay sales for me. This summer, my local buyer simply can't come up with money to buy hay so it went on the open market and a deal was settled with a buyer 50 miles away. This is a cattle feeder my Cousin knows and works with so he figured the guy was legit. I offered the hay priced 2 ways--make a choice: sold by the ton and weighed across certified scales at buyer's expense OR by the bale loaded in the field hauled straight to the buyer. In this case, it's just a guess as to the actual weight which is understood up front.
ANYHOO, yesterday was loadout day. I had Son help and we loaded the trucks fairly quickly and moved on to do some mechanic work. My phone buzzed and it was Cousin--hay buyer weighed a couple of bales across his feed wagon scales(not certified or checked) and the bales were lighter than expected. We're in the middle of a drought and these bales have been baking in the sun for 60 days plus the weight was simply a guess but was accepted since the price is BY THE BALE. Sure enough the buyer wants the price changed to a weight based figure. I told him to reload the trucks and send the hay back AT HIS EXPENSE (which in this case was $12 per bale per trip). Can't, the trucks have already left. More back and forth. Cousin gets involved and he's absolutely livid. Son is beating on a tire in the background cause he's that mad. The deal still isn't finished and I don't have the money. Trucker didn't get paid so he's upset. Everyone's totally PO'd at the buyer for changing his mind and not being a man about the deal.

Garth69

Single-Sixer
I would apologize for HIS misunderstanding the options of the sale and then tell him you will be glad to go watch HIM transport every bale to his scale and weigh it. Put the burden on his chicken yugo ass.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
30-34 bales.
You must understand that hay truckers have both ends of the process held hostage. This guy is better than some. He's conscientious and understands that this isn't a hard surface parking lot sort of deal.
One guy said his minimum per load charge was $500 regardless of load, distance, or weight and it sounded like he was expecting a full width hard surface road coming into the loading area.

krw

Blackhawk
One of my Dad’s friend told Me when I took over the Farm was, “Hay is too cheap to sell and to expensive to buy.” And He was correct!!
There is also a limiter on how far you can reallistically financially haul hay
We use a lot of chicken litter to fertilize with, then dress with Ammonia Nitrate and Potash. By the time you spray herbicides and spray for Army Worms, We have a lot of money in hay. Plus the cost of equipment, fuel. Plus having to work with your wife in the hayfield aint all its cracked up to be!!!
The money in Hay is now in the Premium Horse hay market. But it costs to get settup to handle 1000’s of 50lb bales which is a “light” square bale, but what the venders want
I aint but a few years away from retiring and I aint jacking with chickens, cattle, hay or nothing else when I do
You have a conundrum in your situation. Can’t really say how I would handle it. But whether I’m trading trks, guns, cattle or hay, I do not like middle man
I would drive and hav a ftf, leaving middle man out, and try to work the situation out.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I think you are referring to my post regarding the sale of the holster to a member hereabouts.

I might remind you that my comments were directed to members of this forum.

And, I'm sorry for your bad experience. Some folks...............

Bob Wright

eveled

Hunter
Some people always try to “one up” everyone, always look for a way to squeeze every deal for every penny.

What they don’t realize is it only works on that one deal. They save a penny, burn a bridge, loose a contact, ruin their reputation. In the end it will cost them triple what they burn you out of.

People nickel and dime me? I start adding quarters.

When I was a kid maybe twelve I made a deal to shovel a driveway for $10. When I was finished she wouldn’t pay. I put all the snow back.

Yes I worked twice as hard and still got $0 but it felt good. I think I probably should have walked away and saved my back.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Ok,
I sell the hay I produce-sometimes locally and sometimes it goes hundreds of miles. My Cousin is an auctioneer and 'brokers' hay sales for me. This summer, my local buyer simply can't come up with money to buy hay so it went on the open market and a deal was settled with a buyer 50 miles away. This is a cattle feeder my Cousin knows and works with so he figured the guy was legit. I offered the hay priced 2 ways--make a choice: sold by the ton and weighed across certified scales at buyer's expense OR by the bale loaded in the field hauled straight to the buyer. In this case, it's just a guess as to the actual weight which is understood up front.
ANYHOO, yesterday was loadout day. I had Son help and we loaded the trucks fairly quickly and moved on to do some mechanic work. My phone buzzed and it was Cousin--hay buyer weighed a couple of bales across his feed wagon scales(not certified or checked) and the bales were lighter than expected. We're in the middle of a drought and these bales have been baking in the sun for 60 days plus the weight was simply a guess but was accepted since the price is BY THE BALE. Sure enough the buyer wants the price changed to a weight based figure. I told him to reload the trucks and send the hay back AT HIS EXPENSE (which in this case was $12 per bale per trip). Can't, the trucks have already left. More back and forth. Cousin gets involved and he's absolutely livid. Son is beating on a tire in the background cause he's that mad. The deal still isn't finished and I don't have the money. Trucker didn't get paid so he's upset. Everyone's totally PO'd at the buyer for changing his mind and not being a man about the deal.
reverse positions. If yo were the buyer and the product was "light", what would you have done? Always best to look at both sides before you decide anything, IMHO

Mike J

Hunter
Ok,

reverse positions. If yo were the buyer and the product was "light", what would you have done? Always best to look at both sides before you decide anything, IMHO

In Mobuck's post that you quoted he stated that the buyer was offered the option of purchasing by weight or by the bale. The buyer chose by the bale. He made his choice. Now he has decided he doesn't like his own choice. Once a deal is agreed to it is wrong to try to change the terms. He made his choice he should live with it. What he is doing is wrong.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
In Mobuck's post that you quoted he stated that the buyer was offered the option of purchasing by weight or by the bale. The buyer chose by the bale. He made his choice. Now he has decided he doesn't like his own choice. Once a deal is agreed to it is wrong to try to change the terms. He made his choice he should live with it. What he is doing is wrong.
That is why there are "contracts". So people remember what they agreed too!

vito

Hunter
Some people are just scum, that's reality. Buyers trying to cheat you, sellers trying to cheat you. Tenants not paying rent and trashing the property. Landlords failing to honor their commitments to tenants. Just normal everyday scumbags that exist EVERYWHERE. Even the threat of a lawsuit might not be enough since some understand that the process of suing might end up costing you more than you would gain by winning the suit. Sometimes offering the scum a deal that they can't refuse is the only real solution.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Some people are just scum, that's reality. Buyers trying to cheat you, sellers trying to cheat you. Tenants not paying rent and trashing the property. Landlords failing to honor their commitments to tenants. Just normal everyday scumbags that exist EVERYWHERE. Even the threat of a lawsuit might not be enough since some understand that the process of suing might end up costing you more than you would gain by winning the suit. Sometimes offering the scum a deal that they can't refuse is the only real solution.
unfortunately , you are correct IMHO