The New to me 357 Bisley finds some honor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have been pretty busy with the Walleye run ending and the freezer full for another year. Then opening up the lake getting that boat ready and in for the soft water season here in S. Mich. Plus building a couple new picnic tables for home and the lake. The lastly between the spring rains, building and installing the new fire pit outa landscape blocks so I have outside cooking in style for the lake. Dang,, I have been busy, I need a nap just typing this,,,, :wink:

But after my third trip to the range, first finding what it seems to like, then seeing how much it likes, finally a day with some better than average result. I went with the 180 grain Mihec Carbine Bullet. Cast 10# ww/5# Lyno with a 1/3 ounce 99.9% tin Bullion. I am running a pretty stiff charge of H-110 but primers look good and cases pull easily with a fingernail. Brass heads are not expanding. Only 25 yards but I will now start loading 3 grains up and down from this charge and see if I can bring that last shot into the 5 shot group that was slightly over 5/8", all six grouped 1 1/8". Good fer these old eyes and open sights on this length barrel.
170-grn-_LHP-357.jpg

This was just running up to what was proven to be a safe load in this gun with some room to go up. I started 2 grains below this and watched the groups get better as I shot the loads in 1/2 grain increments. I will continue from here starting .3 grain les, then going up .3 grains above, and probably take 6 more .6 of a grain over this load if pressures are still staying safe. H-110 in aprox 80* weather should be stable even in slightly hotter weather, but we will keep an eye on this as I do with any new gin regardless how many others I have had in the past.

For now I see better things in the future, and will be testing for how much it takes to expand these Large Hollow Points in this magnum alloy. I ain't worried about loosing the petal as long as I can retain over 150 grains terminally. with large varmints being my main goal for this hunting load.

gunzo

Buckeye
Dang good shootin'.

And.... phenomenal velocity for a 180 out of a 5.5" barrel. Am I reading that correctly, 1455 fps?

The as cast weight of this bullet is 172 grains, but yes 1455 average and the tightest ES of any load I remember in any of my revolver's. I will be confirming this when these bluegill get done spawning leave me alone. But right now it is doing well on targets of opportunity.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I bought a 6" 327 GP100 because of one of your write ups !! That is a good looking 51/2" revolver and now I think I need one of them. I don't think I can afford to read your stuff anymore !! ;-)

Sorry JStacy but I know what you mean, if I didn't have such an understanding wife of 42 years, I'd have trouble righting about them, but thank God I got a good one, between handguns crossbows, and custom fishing equipment, and camping gear, I am one lucky guy. But I think you really should find a way to buy a 357 if you can find one of these. I am no 357 guy but everyone should own at least one, and for my kind of wants and uses, this is the perfect one to have!