The new SFAR …. Which length and why

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
These come with either a 16.1 inch or 20 inch barrel.

My use for one would only be at the range or just because I can. No competition shooting for me, not keeping score or shooting super long distances. Not a hunting rifle either.

With that being known ….. which barrel length would you chose and why?

No great difference. Looking ahead for what may be coming, I'd go with the 16". No noticeable difference in performance up to 300 yards. A 16" carbine is a bit easier to manipulate if you do need to tote it around. I'm height challenged so a 20" barrel on a 3 point sling tends to drag in deep snow.
I carried a 16" for years as a 'walking around' rifle. Used it for coyote hunting and general varmint control--very satisfied with the results. Lately, I've mostly used what I consider a best of both worlds AR: 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system. Gets me another 60-75 FPS while keeping the longer gas tube makes the rifle extremely functional and nice to shoot. If I do decide to screw a suppressor on, there's no need to adjust anything.

I would want to shoulder both and feel how they balance without scope. mag. and or sights in standing position. There is a fine balance point between short being lighter and longer being more steady. But some may feel shorter is easier to hold and longer is too heavy. You mentioned use as a range gun, to me that means scoped, shooting off a bench. If so, Likely does not matter which. If your going to put and really use iron sight/open sights. A longer sight radius helps the human eye be a better shot, especially as we get older.

G2

Hunter
If your doing operations, in & out, tight quarters, clearing, packing, the 16"

20" from what you described as you see yourself doing, bench, target, etc.

I have a #3 44M 22" and a #1 44M 20",,, One would not think 2" matters, and I like them both, however the #3 seems better balanced all the way around.

Recently looking at getting a Marlin 1895 SBL19" or Trapper 16", I went with the 19" because the 20" #1 is short enough.
If I decide I want a 16", easy to cut 3" off.😳

gunzo

Hunter
The 20 would recoil less & make less noise, plus moving the noise it would make, 4" further away from the shooter.
That being said, the 16 might be more fun. But that depends on your version of fun..

krw

Blackhawk
IMO an AR10 platform aint a Truck gun. They are kinda a specialized critter. Have owned several in past and currently run a POF w adj has block. As light as its advertised I would guess in time it will give problems shooting suppressed. AR15's are more fun, practictical and lots cheaper to shoot. I keep my POF just for the Zombie apocalypse. My Buddy is waiting on a Gap Gen 1 AR10 to come in. It comes with a 3/8" accuracy garuntee. A whole diff type of critter!! And I literally hate to precision reload for an AR platform rifle.

I handled the 16" version at a local shop last week. If I were in the market for another 308, it would definitely be the 16". I have large frame ARs in 6MM Creedmoor, 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, and several varieties of 308, to include an SR 25. That Knights Armament is a heavy bastard.

I just might have to trade into the Ruger. LOL

mac66

Single-Sixer
I have a SR762. It has a 16" bbl. I use it for hunting. Kinda wish it had a longer barrel. I think a 18" bbl would be ideal but I'd take the 20" if given a choice between a 16 & 20.

Cholo

Staff member
What, no pics? Allow me. 16" looks a lot better, and just calls for a can. I wonder what velocity is lost in the shorter barrel. Negligible?

1663202359270.png

1663202377079.png

hittman

Staff member
Local store may have one arrive this week. No idea which barrel length. We'll see how they price it. If things work out I can see myself having them mount a scope and picking up 200 rounds of ammo too.

Now the question is ….. which scope / optic? That is something I really really know nothing about.

I have a 20" .308 bolt action and AR 10. I sure wouldn't want to go shorter.
Muzzle blast becomes intense and performance drops into the 30/30 range. I'm not impressed by 308 recoil producing marginally better than 7.62x39 velocities.

ssqman

Bearcat
I don't use ear protection while out hunting. I can't imagine the pain a 16" with muzzle brake would induce. I definitely need the 20.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I have shot my Ruger SR762 many times with no ear protection. It has a 16" barrel and the stock muzzle break....and no problem at all.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
I'm 69 yo, and my hearing is fine. I had it tested a couple years ago as part of a general exam, and all is well. You know, if I'm taking multiple shots with any gun, as in sighting in a rifle or target practicing with a pistol, I wear hearing protection. But a couple of shots while hunting, no problem. I hear more intolerable noise in certain restaurants that actually leaves my ears ringing.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
20"er here.
It's a hunting rifle, noise was the main factor in barrel length.
Also, it'll probably never be fired with the flash hider on the barrel, so that gets a couple inches back in the handiness department.