The most worn out Revolver ever?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer

After seeing the above thread, I had to post these pics.
No bluing left and barely any rifling in the barrel.
Check out what someone did to the hammer and the notching on the firing pin area of the frame.
Guess they got tired of some misfires?!:unsure:
The wear on the grips and trigger guard is impressive enough, but the rear of
the cylinder making indentations in the breech of the frame!??!:oops:
This one has "some" rounds down range!

Probably my favorite Ruger.....

Cheers,
JAYDAWG

Attachments

• hammer2.jpg
    hammer2.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 207
  • firpin.jpg
    firpin.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 180
  • breech3.jpg
    breech3.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 188
  • trigger guard.jpg
    trigger guard.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 579a.jpg
    579a.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 579.jpg
    579.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 212

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, while it's a 3 digit Flatgate,, it has been "modified" for sure. The hammer has been filed,, and the firing pin has been re-done. But I had to smile when I saw the grips,, which were originally black,, yet have aged to the brown color as many have done.

epags

Single-Sixer
Jaydawg wrote: .....No bluing left and barely any rifling in the barrel.

As a range officer I observed an individual having trouble hitting the 5 yard target with his revolver. Upon inspection it appeared to have very little rifling. I ran a cleaning rod and brush down it and the rifling begain to appear. Seems the revolver belonged to his father and IIRC to his grandfather and to the best of his knowledge had never been cleaned. I told him the revolver was not safe to fire at our range and to take it to the LGS and ask for a through cleaning before he shot it again.
I would suggest you check yours for excessive leading. Just a thought.

I'm also in the camp thinking that the barrel might might just be severely leaded. Normally .22 rimfire bores don't get "shot out," and you'd pretty much have to try to wear it down that much by improper use of a cleaning rod… 💡

I'd run some Kroil down the barrel, and let it soak for a day. The next day, I'd do the same thing. At some point try running a (sacrificial) undersize bore bore brush (like a .20 caliber) through, and see if you make any headway.

If you make progress, eventually move up to a .22 brush.

I had an S&W 617 that severely leaded up a barrel shooting Federal Lightnings, circa 1991. I didn't know about Kroil at the time, but eventually I got things loosened up with some Hoppe's #9.

I still remember the curls of lead peeling out of that rifling! 😳

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That is the most wear I've ever seen on a Ruger! Yet the cylinder barely has any notch wear or a line worn around it, and has all its bluing. Definitely a replacement.

What's the history of this gun?

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
That is the most wear I've ever seen on a Ruger! Yet the cylinder barely has any notch wear or a line worn around it, and has all its bluing. Definitely a replacement.
Looking at the pictures, It is definitely darker than rest of the gun, but the same color as the loading gate and it's not so noticeable with gun in hand. The grooves? leading up to the cylinder indexing notches are quite worn and the face is grooved from the ejector rod. You can feel it, metal is actually raised!
I think it's original, only because of the wear and same color as the gate, but I suppose there is no way to know for sure, you might be right!
A couple more pics.

Cheers,
JAYDAWG
579a.jpg
cyl.jpg
cylside.jpg

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
What's the history of this gun?

It came in a seven gun package I bought out of Big Lake AK.
Had it 2 months.

I sent for a Ruger letter and it was shipped Feb 1954 to HIBBARD,SPENCER,BARTLETT in Evanston IL.
That's it. All I have:D

I would suggest you check yours for excessive leading. Just a thought.
I'm also in the camp thinking that the barrel might might just be severely leaded.

I didn't think of that🤪
I'd bet you guys are right.........
Appreciate the expertise!!

JAYDAWG

Emblem

Bearcat
Not worn out, but definitely worn. On the left, my most well loved revolver. A type 1 transitional 4 digit flat top .357 Blackhawk. According to the man I bought it from, his uncle bought it new and carried it more or less daily, shooting it frequently throughout his long life. The wear speaks to that. He was clearly right handed as his trigger finger wore away a significant part of the trigger guard. The frame and barrel are practically devoid of finish, but like the OP's Single Six, the cylinder and loading gate retain some bluing. It's not as free of play as the much less used Type 1 on the right, but I'll be damned if it doesn't shoot just as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6375.jpeg
    IMG_6375.jpeg
    593.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6376.jpeg
    IMG_6376.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6378.jpeg
    IMG_6378.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6381.jpeg
    IMG_6381.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6385.jpeg
    IMG_6385.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 53
Not worn out, but definitely worn. On the left, my most well loved revolver. A type 1 transitional 4 digit flat top .357 Blackhawk. According to the man I bought it from, his uncle bought it new and carried it more or less daily, shooting it frequently throughout his long life. The wear speaks to that. He was clearly right handed as his trigger finger wore away a significant part of the trigger guard. The frame and barrel are practically devoid of finish, but like the OP's Single Six, the cylinder and loading gate retain some bluing. It's not as free of play as the much less used Type 1 on the right, but I'll be damned if it doesn't shoot just as well.

What a neat old revolver! 😍

I see the "wear" of which you speak, but I have to question whether there was perhaps some other mechanical intervention- like a file, perhaps(?).

"In related news," do you know what the striation marks are, on the bottom of the frame, in front of the grip frame?

Regardless, it's a neat revolver! 👍

contender

Ruger Guru
Looking at that triggerguard,, I see, in my opinion,, mechanical assistance in modifying that grip frame. That's not wear from fingers handling it.

The marks mentioned,, are machine marks from when it was made.

Latest posts