The men behind the Declaration

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Not mine but worth repeating...

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence? What fates befell them for daring to put their names to that document?
Five signers were captured by the British as traitors and tortured before they died.
Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army, another had two sons captured.
Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.
They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.
What kind of men were they?
Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.
Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.
Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.
Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.
At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.
Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.
John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year, he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later, he died from exhaustion and a broken heart.
Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.
Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were not wild-eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more.
Standing talk straight, and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."
They gave you and me a free and independent America. The history books never told you a lot about what happened in the Revolutionary War. We didn't fight just the British. We were British subjects at that time and we fought our own government!
Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't.
So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July Holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Thank you for that. Well timed and thought generating.

".............one Nation, under God, indivisible......."

We now seem to have forgotten God, and have many cracks in our makeup.

Bob Wright

LDM

Blackhawk
"Gentlemen, we must hang together or we will surely be hanged separately" B. Franklin.

They knew full well that this was considered treason against the king. With the push to pass more oppressive government interference in our lives, this must be taught which requires parents to take back control of our schools from far-left school boards and corrupt teachers' unions.

turd

Buckeye
Thank you for this post. No, I didn't know what happened to the signers. Now I do, thank you. It makes me so very much more grateful that through the grace of God I was born and grew up in this country. I have always been thankful and respectful of those who forged this country, but now I know much more about the sacrifices of the founders.

Again, thank you for this post.

My wife got me the book "Signing Their Lives Away" this past Christmas.... it is well worth the read. (I may do a karma)

I admit I get teary eyed every time I read the last lines of the Declaration, it always humbles me.

" And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
My wife got me the book "Signing Their Lives Away" this past Christmas.... it is well worth the read. (I may do a karma)

Hi,

One of the pro-2A organizations I belong to sent an e-mail yesterday entitled "Happy Treason Day!" It only took a second for me to realize what they were saying, before even reading the note, but I wonder how many people today would look at that and just scratch their heads.

The Founding Fathers fully recognized the severe repercussions their actions could bring, and as Ben Franklin put it, “We must all hang together, or most assuredly, we will all hang separately.” We should start teaching that again, in grade schools, high schools, and even colleges!

Rick C

Absolutely... folks seem to forget that it was all about overthrowing the existing government...

Having done some reading on the revolution what gripes me is that TV and movies always show these patriots fighting Red Coats... British soldiers... there were a lot, and I mean a LOT of 'loyalist' who joined the British in fighting the traitors. It was actually a much worse case of brother against brother and neighbor against neighbor than the Civil War.

Also, just to throw this jab in... it seems the history of the Revolution was re-written after the Civil War to give much if not all the credit to the Northern States and George Washington.... when in fact much of the war was fought here in South Carolina and actually won here. Cowpins and Kings Mountain were the turning point.... not to mention that little mean SOB Francis Marion... who looked nothing like Mel Gibson.

kramden

Blackhawk
Amazing men with such a yearning for freedom. Shame on our disgusting education system for not doing their jobs.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
not to mention that little mean SOB Francis Marion... who looked nothing like Mel Gibson.

Hi,

Does anybody remember the show, or even the theme song, when Disney did the Swamp Fox TV show? Without cheating, I think it was late '50s, maybe early '60s? Don't remember who played Marion.

Rick C

Latest posts