The Marlin Camp 9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I had one. It was ok, but just wasn't what I want in a PCC. My
Beretta CX4 Storm fills that bill perfectly. My brother liked it
so I gave it to him. It shot well, never had a problem with it.
I had taken it in on a trade and didn't have any attachment to
it.
Buddys Bike 7-11-10 004.jpg

He takes it with him when camping.
Dano

Star43

Buckeye
It's because they were way less common.
Yes they were less common, much less common, and why, because they were not as popular. They just didn't sell. The idea of a 9MM carbine was more popular and it sold. Marlin had the 4 round magazine (why a 4 round??) which are actually valuable today. But they also offered the 12 round mags too, & of course the S/W mags. Right now today, if I was at a show or whatever, & I saw a brand new Camp 9 & a brand new Camp 45, I would buy another Camp 9. With no hesitancy at all. And Why, because of the reason I bought the Camp 9 in the FIRST place. Because it is more desirable to me and ALL the others who chose the 9 in the first place !!! The Camp 45 is ok, BUT the Camp 9 is more feasible because of the cost of the 9nm ammo, and the easy availability of the 9mm ammo, because of the popularity of the 9mm. There was no contest back then and now. The Camp 9 was and still IS Special !!! ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Last edited:

Star43

Buckeye
I had one. It was ok, but just wasn't what I want in a PCC. My
Beretta CX4 Storm fills that bill perfectly. My brother liked it
so I gave it to him. It shot well, never had a problem with it.
I had taken it in on a trade and didn't have any attachment to
it.
View attachment 47454
He takes it with him when camping.
Dano
Hence the term Camp 9 !! Your brother is a very lucky guy. !! Glad he likes it. I guess he has had no problem with his gun's buffer ?? Thanks......๐Ÿ™‚

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Not saying this is the case here, but sometimes we do things for future generations that we have fond memories of happening to us. Like receiving firearms passed down through generations. The thing is at some point, one generation or another isn't gonna care about nor want our "junk".

If you like it, shoot it. If you don't, pass it down NOW so they can use it. If they don't want it, sell it. What is treasure to us, may not be treasure to someone else. The last thing I want to burden my kids with would be requiring them to forever keep my stuff. Not talking just guns either. It is just stuff.

Again, probably not the case here, just something to think about.

BTW OP, is sounds like you truly miss seeing your family. Why wait and hope for them to move "home" which doesn't sound likely. Are you able to move near them (with the bonus of leaving CA behind)?

Star43

Buckeye
Not saying this is the case here, but sometimes we do things for future generations that we have fond memories of happening to us. Like receiving firearms passed down through generations. The thing is at some point, one generation or another isn't gonna care about nor want our "junk".

If you like it, shoot it. If you don't, pass it down NOW so they can use it. If they don't want it, sell it. What is treasure to us, may not be treasure to someone else. The last thing I want to burden my kids with would be requiring them to forever keep my stuff. Not talking just guns either. It is just stuff.

Again, probably not the case here, just something to think about.

BTW OP, is sounds like you truly miss seeing your family. Why wait and hope for them to move "home" which doesn't sound likely. Are you able to move near them (with the bonus of leaving CA behind)?
I have 3 kids all grown up. I have 2 daughters who each have 2 of their own. All beautiful girls and still young. 3 of them all under 3 years old. The newest little baby girl is just 3 months old. My son who was the middle child, lives in Georgia with his wife and 2 little boys. One is 3 and the other is under 2. So yes we have little ones. My daughter's and their little girls are all close to home and that is great. But my only son is way across the country. So it isn't easy. I love all 3 of my kids, but my son, he and I have lots in common between sports and shooting. It is what it is. I am very thankful for what we do have for sure. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ‘

Star43

Buckeye
Thanks for the kind words. Another new gun, not much to put off. But the freedom to look, love, and get is gone.
I don't know what state you are in, but it doesn't really matter much, look around for a used one. The Camp 9 was made of quality materials. The Only thing that maybe go wrong in my opinion is that small nylon buffer. Wouldn't it be something if you found one that was "broken", and all that it needs is a $9 buffer ??? You never know. Just look for a deal down the road and you never know what can happen. Just be thankful for what you have now, and the rest will come later. At least that is what I tell myself. ๐Ÿ™‚

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, it seems the 45's were subject to the stock cracking.... that might have been from the buffer going bad or just not cushioning the recoil enough.
Like I said, Choate made a folding stock for them that was the bees knees.... wish I had a picture of the one I gave away.

I don't know what state you are in, but it doesn't really matter much, look around for a used one. The Camp 9 was made of quality materials. The Only thing that maybe go wrong in my opinion is that small nylon buffer. Wouldn't it be something if you found one that was "broken", and all that it needs is a $9 buffer ??? You never know. Just look for a deal down the road and you never know what can happen. Just be thankful for what you have now, and the rest will come later. At least that is what I tell myself. ๐Ÿ™‚
In Florida, pretty decent state. Miss falling into a real cesspool about 7 years ago. I just meant there was a time I could see a gun I really liked and could pick it up without a lot on financial anxiety. Those days are gone.

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
Hence the term Camp 9 !! Your brother is a very lucky guy. !! Glad he likes it. I guess he has had no problem with his gun's buffer ?? Thanks......๐Ÿ™‚
None that I know of. I never shot it much. Like I said, it was taken in on a trade to sweeten
the deal, not something I was looking for. He was wanting a 9mm pistol/PCC combo so I
gave him a Sig P239 and the Camp 9. Anyway, knowing him, he hasn't shot it much more
than to make minor adjustments to the scope to accommodate the difference in our eyes.
Dano

Star43

Buckeye
None that I know of. I never shot it much. Like I said, it was taken in on a trade to sweeten
the deal, not something I was looking for. He was wanting a 9mm pistol/PCC combo so I
gave him a Sig P239 and the Camp 9. Anyway, knowing him, he hasn't shot it much more
than to make minor adjustments to the scope to accommodate the difference in our eyes.
Dano
Next time you talk to him, please ask him if he has shot it and if he noticed any problems. I am not being a "Pollyanna" here, but it is hard for me to think that a gun that's been in a box pretty much untouched for all these years is just disintegrating in the box ?? I mean the part is a type of nylon material. You know nylon stuff is all around and in the sun or the cold and I never really thought about it as something that is wasting away from day one ?? I also wonder why they never used a high quality rubber ?? ๐Ÿค”

Star43

Buckeye
Now that I think about it, it seems the 45's were subject to the stock cracking.... that might have been from the buffer going bad or just not cushioning the recoil enough.
Like I said, Choate made a folding stock for them that was the bees knees.... wish I had a picture of the one I gave away.
I think you are on to something there about the cracked stocks from the .45. I guess those buffers may have broken sooner and that lack of cushioning could have caused the cracking.. Another reason to stick with the Nine. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Star43

Buckeye
Taking a time out to inform you there is a thing called "multi-quote". As often as you double and even triple post because you are quoting someone, I thought you might want to know. Takes less clicks than quad-posting quotes.
How is that done ? Not sure how to do that. Maybe it's best not to quote anybody.....

hittman

Staff member
Just use this box at the bottom of the page for replies. When you click "Reply" on their post is when you end up repeating what the guy before you just typed.

It's useful at times no doubt but usually when you're addressing an older post or need to made a point,

Latest posts