The joy of open carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
As a licensed concealed carry person I have become accustomed over the last many years to carrying a 3 inch SP101 in a pocket holster. It's become a normal accessory to dressing and I love its heft and the feeling of security it gives me that is not unlike the feeling I get from having my homeowner's and life insurance paid up at all times. My wife and I have joyfully taken up scooter riding now that our kids are grown and out of the house, and spend many fun hours together "riding the wind" as we call it on Blue Lightening and Rolling Thunder.
Sad to say my little SP101 is a little hard to reach from a sitting position on my Yamaha, and I debated over another method to continue carrying when riding. Recently I started carrying a beautiful 4 and 5/8 inch Super Blackhawk that's polished to a high gloss and has a custom made lanyard ring and contoured grip frame, in a tan, boned Galco crossdraw belt holster. I am not trying to look like a Saturday afternoon movie cowboy, but I must admit it's a beautiful and comforting thing to have when my wife and I go on warm evening rural rides after dark. I was concerned at first about how I would be viewed in stores we frequent on daytime rides, but I have yet to receive a negative comment . I've frequently passed by police cars without rating a second look (that I'm aware of).
I suppose my alternate method of carrying may seem strange to many, but as I peacefully live in a town of 60,000 people (small by many standards) and I can legally carry this way, I shall continue to do so as often as needed. I wonder if I am alone in my views?

MAC702

Single-Sixer
I only open-carried until it was legal for me to carry concealed. I also have no bumper stickers on my car nor outrageous hairdo. I live by the words "low profile."

Boge

Single-Sixer
WESHOOT2":1roo5lik said:
The 'issue' with open carry is that you announce you're carrying, rendering you perhaps the first victim......

Exactly. It is one step worse than the ridiculous "shoot me first" vests some guys wear in the middle of Summer.

Here's my problem with open carry. Say you're standing in line at the Quik Shop with your Slurpee and there are people behind you . A person could reach over and take the gun away and believe you me there are "hoods" that would do just that. And if I'm robbing the place guess who I'm going to shoot first. :wink:

At my age "surprise" is the best advantage I can have.

Blue Brick

Bearcat
I only open carry. As an added measure of security I use Level 2 law enforcement duty holster that resist unauthorized removal, I limit my time in public places, I am constantly aware of my surroundings, and finally I always smile and make eye contact with people.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
My guess is if some one ins going to rob the Quickstop and they walk in and see a person packing that they will find another Quickstop. Rather you are packing or not you better be sure who is behind you. The only time I can see where you may be "targeted first" because of open carry would be in the case of some one planning to do a mass shooting. This all sounds like the typical "the bad guy will take your gun away and shoot you" line that the anti's use.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
JWhitmore44":1zqdj87o said:
My guess is if some one ins going to rob the Quickstop and they walk in and see a person packing that they will find another Quickstop. Rather you are packing or not you better be sure who is behind you. The only time I can see where you may be "targeted first" because of open carry would be in the case of some one planning to do a mass shooting. This all sounds like the typical "the bad guy will take your gun away and shoot you" line that the anti's use.

Agreed. Here in the People's Republik of Wisconsin, we pass a constitutional amendment guarenteeing the right to keep and bear arms. Well, we also have a state statute going back to the late 1800's barring concealed carry. So, the state supreme court has agreed with many of us that the only way the state can barr CC in light of the RTKBA amendment, we must be allowed to openly carry (with a few exceptions). Until we can get rid of our money hungry, sociallist governor, we are stuck with just OC. Of you are courious about OC, stop by www.opencarry.org.

mykeal

Single-Sixer
It's a mystery to me why people think open carry will make the bad guys retreat in fear. That's not how a criminal mind works, plain and simple. They see people who are carrying open as either one or both of two things: targets and sources of more guns.

Bad guys are criminals because they don't think like we do.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Interesting points everyone has made. But as to our rural rides, large unfriendly dogs that sometimes run in small packs are a problem. As the weather cools a shirt may become necessary to be comfortable, and can of course cover my Ruger, returning me to a concealed mode. For me, open carry has proven more comfortable when biking. Thanks all for the points to ponder. Don

varminter22

Single-Sixer
While I do agree there are places where open carry is NOT advisable/prudent, I also do NOT understand why so many people think open carry is never a good idea.

I support the peoples' right to open carry.

Llynn

Bearcat
Sometimes it may boil down to who is OC ing. I am a 61 year old woman and I would never open carry because I don't think a BG would consider me strong enough to resist them taking the gun away. If I was going to open carry I would have it in my hand. :lol:

steveinaz

Single-Sixer
I open carry because; 1. I can. 2. The activity may make it more practical than concealed carry; ie, hiking, camping, atv'ing, etc.

I disagree with the "you'll be the first victim" theory. That's Hollywood. Criminals almost always seek the "easy" target--they don't want to die. Here in Southern Arizona many people open carry because it's more comfortable. If I were a criminal, I would be damn thoughtful before I held up a store around here; and our low crime rate bears that thought process out. It's not at all uncommon to see 6-7 people open carrying in the supermarket on any given day.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
I don't think of the great outdoors when I hear someone talking about "open carry" though I guess that applies. In which case, I open carry quite often. But in town, on a daily basis, I prefer the "none-of-your-business" approach as to whether or not I am armed.

And just because I prefer concealed carry does NOT imply that I am in ANY way unsupportive of the RIGHT to carry openly. Who made THAT assumption?

Rclark

Hunter
I don't think of the great outdoors when I hear someone talking about "open carry" though I guess that applies. In which case, I open carry quite often. But in town, on a daily basis, I prefer the "none-of-your-business" approach as to whether or not I am armed.
Ditto. In the hills, hiking, fishing, etc. revolver is never concealed ... strap on the revolver and go. In town different story. That's my personal opinion...

tguil

Single-Sixer
For what it's worth. I live in an open carry state where concealed carry is allowed by permit (very easy to get). I also ride a Harley Davidson in rural areas. The only time I open carry is when I'm working on my acreage and might want to "pop" a feral cat or when I am hunting. When I am camping in isolated areas I always have a firearm of some sort close by -- usually a Speed Six or S&W Model 36. Most of the time I simply do not carry -- especially in urban areas.

Tom

LTB45

Bearcat
I carry everywhere that I can!! Post office and places like that obviously I leave it behind. In CT we need a permit to carry. I have been CCing for years. Last year a guy got arrested for blowing concealment as he was reaching for his take-out dinner at a restaurant. A waitress saw, called cops, they arrest him and take his permit away.
In Connecticut, there is NO LAW that says you must CC. Goldberg (the guy arrested) is now in the process of suing the state.

Many in CT have sent emails to the Attorney General asking for clarification on this subject. He continues to reply with the answer, "Ask the DPS". The DPS will not take a stance one way or the other.

Because of this many in the state are now OCing, since there is no law against it.

One way or another we will get a ruling on the legality of OC in CT

This link Page 7 of the pdf has all the details of what happened to Goldberg.

http://www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/goldbergcomplaint.pdf

Pal Val

Buckeye
Although there is no rule for this in Pennsylvania, I make it my practice to carry concealed when in urban areas and open carry out in the country. Funny that I was asked by a park ranger to hide the sidearm when hiking in the park. The reason given was that "some hikers get nervous" when they see someone wearing a holster.

What a society we live in! People get nervous at the sight of a holster, yet they go home, turn on the TV and watch a string of TV shows where blood splatters are routine. Go figure!

Do I believe a criminal will target me because he sees me carrying a handgun? That sounds pretty far fetched. Criminals are not exactly heroic. Cowards is a better word. I would say that if a criminal is looking for a victim, he will probably steer clear of someone able to shoot back.

Just my opinion...

mykeal

Single-Sixer
Many in CT have sent emails to the Attorney General asking for clarification on this subject. He continues to reply with the answer, "Ask the DPS".
Methinks your AG is guilty of dereliction of duty.

Do I believe a criminal will target me because he sees me carrying a handgun? That sounds pretty far fetched. Criminals are not exactly heroic. Cowards is a better word. I would say that if a criminal is looking for a victim, he will probably steer clear of someone able to shoot back.
If a BG is intent on committing armed robbery in a place of business he may or may not be motivated enough to shoot someone; sometimes they're carrying a gun for show and sometimes they really mean to pull the trigger. In the former case I agree he'll probably just go on is way if he sees another gun. In the latter case he will just shoot the person carrying the gun first, before he announces the robbery. Problem solved - you're not going to shoot him back if you're dead. So by open carrying you are making the assumption that, in the unlikely instance you encounter an armed criminal, it's far more likely he has no intention of actually shooting anyone than it is that he's willing and capable of killing someone. I think that's a very bad assumption.

And yes, you do have, in my opinion, the right to make that assumption and to open carry if you wish.

In my local rather rural area open carry is uncommon but not unheard of. But everyone I know who does so readily states that they would not open carry in the large metropolitan area a couple of hours to our south. The reason: the gangsters are mindless hoodlums who think nothing of shooting even small children. They certainly will shoot anyone with a gun in the area they're seeking to terrorize, and they will do so without any warning. It's simply suicide to open carry down there.

LTB45

Bearcat
This subject is always one of the big debates between gun carriers.
There is no scientific data to prove either side correct in a SHTF situation.

Everybody is using there own personal assumptions with this matter.

Another member of the CCDL has been open carrying for over a year now, since he started his quest to get a declaration on OCing in our state. He has great stories on the amount of info about gun ownership that he spreads. By being courteous and friendly while OCing, people engage him in conversation, and they want to know more. THAT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!

The more people are aware of us gun owners the better for us!! Just maybe when the gun grabbers come knocking, those people that normally couldn't care less if our guns all get destroyed, will see that our inalienable rights are being violated!! And take our side in the fight!!

I am not absolutely sure on this, but I would like to believe that education from us will help our cause.

steveinaz

Single-Sixer
Exactly, hiding a firearm because it "makes people nervous" is absolute BS. They need to get over it. The more commonplace it becomes, the less people will react irrationally.

We've been "supressed" for so long, some people freak when they see an OC. That tells you our current state in gun rights. I couldn't believe the number of so-called "fellow" gun owners on GlockTalk that were chastizing others for open carrying....WHAT??!! The limp ***** claimed it wasn't very reponsible to unnecessarily scare the population. You can keep that PC crap, I exercise my rights.

God Bless Arizona, that's all I can say.