The Incredible P-40 Flying Tiger in the A/F Museum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FastEd

Hunter
RIVERSIDE, OH, Home of the Air Force Museum
vhuxwp.jpg

The P-40 was the United States' best fighter available in large numbers when World War II began. P-40s engaged Japanese aircraft at Pearl Harbor and in the Philippines in December 1941. They also served with the famed Flying Tigers in China in 1942, and in North Africa in 1943 with the 99th Fighter Squadron, the first African American U.S. fighter unit.

The solid, reliable Warhawk was used in many combat areas -- the Aleutian Islands, Italy, the Middle East, the Far East, the Southwest Pacific and some were sent to Russia. Though often slower and less maneuverable than its adversaries, the P-40 earned a reputation in battle for extreme ruggedness. It served throughout the war but was eclipsed by more capable aircraft. More than 14,000 P-40s were built, and they served in the air forces of 28 nations.

The aircraft on display is a Kittyhawk (the export version of the P-40E built for the RAF). It is painted to represent the aircraft flown by then-Col. Bruce Holloway, a pilot in both the Flying Tigers and its successor Army Air Forces unit, the 23rd Fighter Group. This P-40 was obtained from Charles Doyle, Rosemount, Minn.

What a beauty!

The P-40 continued to be used in the CBI front all thru the war, and the latest versions (P-40 E and later) were very effective against the Japanese Army fighters they faced: "Oscar," "Tony," and even good 'ole "Frank." There are a number of memoirs and history that document this.

One of the main problems the earliest US fighters had (P-36, P-39, and P-40) was that their pilots hadn't yet learned the strong points of their aircraft and the weak points of the fighters they faced. Once they did, they fared much better against the Japanese, Germans, and Italians, although a P-40 was never an even match for the best fighters of the European Axis.

Another big factor was pilot combat experience. We started with a big deficit there, compared to all of our opponents, who had been fighting border wars (Japanese vs. Soviets), proxy wars (Germans and Italians vs. Spanish Republic and Soviets), the first years of WWII (Poland, France, Battle of Britain, and Barbarossa), and the long Sino-Japanese war. OUR most experienced fighter pilots were almost all former mercenaries from some of those wars.

Once our guys started up that learning curve, even their "obsolete" fighters started downing Axis pilots flying "better" aircraft. And those "obsolete" fighters got better fast, too. BIG difference between a P-40B and a P-40E.

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
The "Flying Tigers" were a great outfit from back in the days when the country had adult leadership and knew how to do things right.

I had a friend who was ground crew for Flying Tigers in China and later Air America he lived and worked all over Asia.

Oh man a life of adventure what stories!

RIP Ted.

countryboy

Single-Sixer
Great photo!

My Pawpaw who will be 97 next month patched up the holes in the P40s during WW2 when they would get shot up. He spent most of his time on Amchitka Island.

Armybrat

Buckeye
countryboy said:
Great photo!

My Pawpaw who will be 97 next month patched up the holes in the P40s during WW2 when they would get shot up. He spent most of his time on Amchitka Island.
My Dad (US Army Infantry) was stationed at Fort Richardson near Anchorage in 1941, then took part in the Aleutian Campaign in '43. I still have his mess kit, canteen, & old style trench shovel.
After the Battle of Attu & the "invasion" of Kiska, he lived in a tent for 7 months on those islands. He passed at age 90 in 2002.

Great Picture, Great airplane. It was what we had and it did the job in all areas of WWII. It was built and flown from before the beginning of the war till the end. I do believe it was also flown by more Allied Countries than any other Fighter. It was also the Fighter flown by the Tuskegee Airmen in Italy before they received the 51s.
A little known fact for you airplane guys. The P-40F had a Merlin engine in it rather than the Allison. This gave it much better performance at higher altitudes of 38,000 which the other P-40 were lacking in. The give away is no air scoop on the top of the cowl.

If you want to appreciate what a great Fighter and flown by Real Hero's Read these books.
"God Is My Copilot" by Robert L. Scott. He is a real Killer. My favorite book of that time period.

"Into The Teeth Of The Tiger" by Don Lopez One time Boss of the Smithsonian Air Museum and the first plane to be painted to represent an individual a P-40E.

"Tex Hill Flying Tiger". He saved the Invasion of the capitol of China. He participated in some of the AVG's most significant actions, leading the strike that stopped the Japanese advance into China at the Salween River in May 1942. As leader of the Army Air Forces 23rd Fighter Group, he planned and led some of the most devastating sorties of the air campaign in China, including the first raid against the Japanese air forces on Formosa.
I'm also happy to say I spoke with him on several occasions. A great Guy.

P-40F KittyhawkII
P40F%20Top%20view%20flying.jpg

countryboy

Single-Sixer
Armybrat said:
countryboy said:
Great photo!

My Dad (US Army Infantry) was stationed at Fort Richardson near Anchorage in 1941, then took part in the Aleutian Campaign in '43. I still have his mess kit, canteen, & old style trench shovel.
After the Battle of Attu & the "invasion" of Kiska, he lived in a tent for 7 months on those islands. He passed at age 90 in 2002.

Sorry to hear about your Dad passing. That's neat that you have his mess kit, canteen and shovel.

My Pawpaw also mentioned being on Kiska and Kodiak for a few months but I believe he said he was on Amchitka for 17 months. I'm not sure the exact dates he was there but I remember him talking about them building the runway on Amchitka and it being dirt. He said the Japanese would bomb it at a certain time everyday and you could set your watch by it.

Edit to add. I talked to my Pawpaw and I was wrong. He was not on Kiska Island. He was on Kodiak, Adak and Amchitka.

The tigers flew P-40 Tomahawks. They were the early export version of the P-40 Warhawk. the Kittyhawk is a product improvement model. Of interesting note, it was the only aircraft to have served in all of the allied air forces, and in all of the theaters of operation. It was also carrier launched.

That's a pretty good record for what was really not much more than a Curtis P-36 Hawk fitted with an inline engine. In fact the reason it was available so fast and in such numbers is that it was a reworking of the Hawk and used a number of parts and jigs in common.

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Here's another one in the Air Museum in Hawaii. I think it has Chinese emblems on it so must be one of the AVG Flying Tigers. Doubt if the ones in Hawaii at the start of WW2 were painted like this. Seems like I read somewhere that one advantage a P-40 had over the Zero's was dive speed, so they got altitude and dove down through the enemy formations rather then really try to dogfight them.
411803679.jpg

HH

Notice the difference in the AVG Tiger Insignia. All the planes in the post are from Hell's Angles Squadron.
avg68ret.jpg

A shame that Holloway didn't fly with the AVG. Maybe they should have painted it like Tex Hill's P-40.

List of AVG Pilots.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Flying_Tigers_pilots

Hill landed his first kills on January 3, 1942 when he downed two Nates over the Japanese airfield at Tak, Thailand. He shot down two more on January 23, and became an ace on the 24th when he shot down a fighter and a bomber over Rangoon. In March, he succeeded Jack Newkirk as Squadron Leader of the Second Squadron. By the time the AVG was disbanded in the summer of 1942, Hill was a double ace, credited with 12 ¼ victories.

Hill landed his first kills on January 3, 1942 when he downed two Nates over the Japanese airfield at Tak, Thailand. He shot down two more on January 23, and became an ace on the 24th when he shot down a fighter and a bomber over Rangoon. In March, he succeeded Jack Newkirk as Squadron Leader of the Second Squadron. By the time the AVG was disbanded in the summer of 1942, Hill was a double ace, credited with 12 ¼ victories.

On May 7, 1942, the Japanese Army began building a pontoon bridge across the Salween River, which would allow them to move troops and supplies into China. To stem this tide, 2nd Squadron Leader Hill led a flight of four new P-40Es bombing and strafing into the mile deep gorge. During the next four days, the AVG pilots flew continuous missions into the gorge, effectively neutralizing the Japanese forces. From that day on, the Japanese never advanced farther than the west bank of the Salween. Claire Chennault would later write of these critical missions, "The American Volunteer Group had staved off China's collapse on the Salween."

He ended his military career in the Air Force Reserve, retiring as a Brigadier General. He holds the Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross with three Oak Leaf Clusters, Presidential Unit Citation with Oak Leaf Cluster, Chinese Order of the Cloud and Banner 4th, 5th and 6th grades, 2-Star Wing Decorations, Chinese Victory Medal, Legion of Merit, and British Distinguished Flying Cross.

After the deactivation of the Flying Tigers in July 1942, Hill was one of only five Flying Tigers to join its USAAF successor, the USAAF 23rd Fighter Group, with the rank of major. He activated the 75th Fighter Squadron and later commanded the 23rd Fighter Group as a Colonel. Before returning to the states in late 1944, Hill and his P-51 scratched another six Japanese aircraft.

General Holloway flew against the Japanese in China as commander of the 23d Fighter Group, the successor unit to Gen. Claire L. Chennault's Flying Tiger volunteer force.

After The US entered World War II in December 1941, Holloway was sent to China to observe Chennault's American Volunteer Group (AVG), the Flying Tigers. He became the commander of the 23rd Fighter Group USAAF. During his China tour, Holloway earned status as a fighter ace, shooting down 13 Japanese planes. He returned to the US in 1944.
800px-Hells_Angels%2C_Flying_Tigers_1942.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As a matter of interest, one of our "Tres Amigos" was Chinese. (Yeah, a Chinese cowboy!) He once told me of his wife's seeing a P-40 from the AVG crash land in a lake near her home. She said it was still there when she left China.

I think this was one of the original P-40s sent to China prior to our entry in WW II.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Some of y'all spoke of building a model of the P-40.

I built one many years ago that was all paper and cardboard. The spars, ribs and internal stuff was a pulpy cardboard, like shotgun wads, while the covering was printed paper. I had to cut out the paper pieces with scissors and glue them in place on the skeleton. The paper covering was printed with all insignia and the windows and windshield. Finished model sort of resembled the box photo.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Little known fact: Comedian Dan Rowan, of "Laugh-in" fame, flew a P-40N during WW II. He was credited with two victories before being shot down and wounded. He served in the New Guinea campaign, 13th AF, I think.

Bob Wright