The hard to photograph Archilochus colubris

Help Support Ruger Forum:

street

Hunter
Archilochus colubris? I think that is the name for this Hummingbird. If not let me know. Everyone knows how fast these birds are but I didn't realize how fast they were until I tried to photograph them. They would be posed perfect on their perch and when I pushed the shutter they would hear the mirror snap up and would move 3 to 4 inches before the shutter snapped, causing the photo to be out of focus. I would only get about 1 out of 5 shots. Boy!!! They are fast!!!!!

407251987.jpg

407251985.jpg

407251984.jpg

407251983.jpg

407251981.jpg

407251979.jpg

407251978.jpg

407251977.jpg

407251976.jpg

407251975.jpg

street

Hunter
doccash said:
I like those shots but #5 is my favorite, good job. Dr.C.
Thanks Doc! I appreciate the compliment. Actually photo 5, 6, 7 are the same photo. Just different amounts of cropping

street

Hunter
Believe it or not, but it is just as hard to take a good picture of a firearm as it is a hummingbird. The polish finish of a firearm reflects every stray bit of light around, and you are basically taking a picture of something that all of the detail is dark. You have to light up the detail without getting any reflections. Not an easy job.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Those are great pictures, and I appreciate your giving the bird's Latin name, as I'm a student of animal taxonomy. Assuming you've identified this species correctly, its common name is ruby-throated hummingbird.

The Latin binomial doesn't necessarily tell us anything about the animal, but for what it's worth, I think archilocus translates to "ancient place," and colubris apparently means "snake-like."

Besides the ruby-throated, there is one other species in this genus: A. alexandri, the black-chinned hummingbird.

A. colubris is the smallest hummingbird found east of the Mississippi in the U.S., but it is medium-sized among all hummingbirds. Google and Wikipedia are my friends!

street

Hunter
KWYJIBO said:
Those are great pictures, and I appreciate your giving the bird's Latin name, as I'm a student of animal taxonomy. Assuming you've identified this species correctly, its common name is ruby-throated hummingbird.

The Latin binomial doesn't necessarily tell us anything about the animal, but for what it's worth, I think archilocus translates to "ancient place," and colubris apparently means "snake-like."

Besides the ruby-throated, there is one other species in this genus: A. alexandri, the black-chinned hummingbird.

A. colubris is the smallest hummingbird found east of the Mississippi in the U.S., but it is medium-sized among all hummingbirds. Google and Wikipedia are my friends!
Thanks for the info. I just guessed at the name as it 's description was the best match for that name. And yes Wikipeda and Google is where I did my research. :oops: :oops: :lol: