The good and the VERY VERY BAD

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
Went walking through our woods found a mess of golden chantarell mushrooms (yellow). Very tasty.

Also located two destroying angel mushrooms. (White with ring and bulb base) VERY VERY BAD! One mushrooms can be fatal and there is no antidote.

Attachments

• 20220811_101931.jpg
    20220811_101931.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220811_112824_07.mp4
    8.6 MB
  • 20220811_104454.jpg
    20220811_104454.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52

jimbo1096

Hunter
Never picked mushrooms for food, found a lot of them when walking through the woods in my younger days. Was always afraid I would get the wrong ones.

Acorn

Buckeye
My Aunt’s sister supposedly knew which mushrooms were OK to pick. She gathered a bunch and cooked the that evening for dinner. For whatever reason none of her family ate any, only her. Apparently she didn’t know as much as she thought. She got sick, her organs shut down. It was touch and go for a while, but miraculously she pulled through.
She was a tough old bird.
Once, she was shot by the jealous wife of her paramour.
She reached into her belly and pulled the bullet out with her fingers.
Survived that too.

have a cousin back home I was scheduled to go do some work for a few years back and she was all excited because she had found my mother's chicken, mushroom and rice recipe and was going to cook some for me for lunch. Sat down to much and she dished me up a plate... about half way through, and it was pretty good, she informed me it really wasn't chicken but was the wild turkey her husband had bagged the week before and the mushrooms were ones she'd picked out on the woods the day before.

eveled

Hunter
Its one of life’s tragedies IMHO. That some are poisonous. I’ve seen many that I’d love to try.
E86D767D-62DF-4F73-B6C0-2F05CEDA0317.jpeg
9E6A02AB-F732-437C-96F0-BD2AF45369E9.jpeg

There once was this couple that loved to forage, and got a bunch of mushrooms. They had a party, which included a casserole with those mushrooms in it, and it was served in a separate container than what it was cooked in. Their dog was allowed to lick the cooking wear clean. As the evening wore on and the party guests were lounging around the pool with aperitifs, the maid came running out, and hurriedly told the lady of the house, that the dog “was dead”! The hosts got the guest together and took all of them to the ER, where their stomachs were pumped. The couple arrived home close to midnight, and a neighbor came over apologizing for running over the couples dog!
gramps

My grandparents taught me what chanterelles were at age three. I was told to not eat any mushrooms til ok’d by an adult. I have been collecting and eating those mushrooms since. Picked up a few books and added others like the meadow mushroom, boletes, morels, and others. I have learned to identify poisonous ones to also avoid. Be careful, enjoy!
gramps

Way back in 1976 I consumed some wild mushrooms at the lake with friends with dinner. Later that evening I backed my new fishing boat through the garage wall into my living room. Then promptly ran down the center supports beam holding up that end of the house trying to correct the first mishap. That scared me off the wild ones up until now....

sfhogman

Buckeye
The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
Mushroom poisoning happens around San Francisco relatively often....
Seems that folks who have recently immigrated from some parts of Asia assume that some of the mushrooms found there are the same species as those found here...after all, they look somewhat the same. It's usually some grannylady type that did the foraging.
We have Amanita mushrooms all over the place around here.

I stick to Safeway, meself.

Jeff

RC44Mag

Bearcat
I remember in the 60’s-70’s a time or two on the news they’d report that a couple people died from eating store bought canned mushrooms. i figured if poison shrooms can get past ‘experts’ in factories then there’s no way I’m going out pickin ‘em. I’ll pass.
truth be known, I did try magic shrooms on occasion. It was the 70’s after all.

The Farmer I worked for while I was in high school would go into the woods after a spring rain to pick mushrooms. His wife would batter and fry them for supper. They were very good and is the only time I have had wild mushrooms.

While living in Beijing we ate a bunch of mushrooms in our Chinese food that I was told were grown in the old bomb shelters. Yea you eat a lot of Chinese food when you live in China. It was also the worst I have ever had. The absolute best was while living in Singapore.

Those mushrooms coming out of the cow pies can cause you to see God... one way or another.
Back in the day I would have probably tried some if given the opportunity but it never happened... now I have no desire....
Closest I get to mind altering drugs is two shots of bourbon.....

But we have a local grocery that sells a variety of edible mushrooms and I bought a batch last week and cooked them... nothing better than Mushrooms & Onions Grilled in butter set to the side of an extra rare steak.

bearskinner

Single-Sixer
When I was horseback riding in the pastures, I saw where those things grew. Never had any appeal to me.

Bob Wright
My sentiments exactly. Spending lots of time on my uncles cattle ranch, and boys being boys, we often had cow pie incidents. Find a crusty one, still soft on the inside, and launch it towards my brother. The amount of mushrooms growing from and under cow pies, especially after rainy days, keeps me from searching out samples to eat.

Latest posts