The GC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I often see Ruger Mark pistol models with a GC in the catalog number referred to as Government Competition models. The only place I've seen this connection documented was in a facsimile of an early press release which I believe referred to the KMK678GC as the "Government Competition Target Model". The actual pistol was roll marked "Competition Target Model". I've heard some say that Ruger just left the word Government off because it made the name too long to roll mark on the receiver.

The whole thing started with the Mark II series 678G models. The blue versions are, for all intents and purposes, identical to the models that were supplied to the government. They are roll marked "Government Target Model" and are in the government model configuration with a 6 7/8" bull barrel and target sights. It seems logical that the G stands for Government and I see them referred to as the Government Model. No argument there.

Then came the 678GC models. They are in the government model configuration with a 6 7/8" bull barrel but slab sided and roll marked "Competition Target Model". So if G = Government then C must = Competition and we have Government Competition. A logical conclusion. Additionally though, some 512GC models were introduced. C = Competition but they are not in the Government configuration as they have 5 ½" barrels, so G = Government? There were also 22/45 GC models produced which is a further deviation from the Government Model configuration including one with an 8" barrel.

With the introduction of the Mark III series we now have the P4GCMKIII and P45GCMKIII pistols. They are of the 22/45 design, have fixed sights and a slab sided 4" or 4 ½" barrel. They are not in the Government configuration, and with fixed sights, could in no way be considered a Competition model. So, no matter how it may have started, the only common thread is that Ruger designated any slab side barrel model with GC in the catalog number.

The question has disappeared with the MKIVs since Ruger no longer uses catalog numbers and the only slab sided pistol is the "Competition", so far.

I did contact Ruger to see if they would offer some insight on the GC and they declined to respond. If anyone has any documentation on this I would love to see it. I'm always willing to embrace a documented direction correction.

chet15

Hawkeye
The "GC" in the catalog number has meant nothing more than slab side bull barrel.
Honestly, there's probably only one person who knows why the GC's were called a GC, and that person may not even remember the reason why today.
Ruger's catalog number designations are often confusing, but hey... they can name them whatever they want.
Like why do the New Model Flattop Blackhawks have a "V" in the catalog number when V is supposed to be for a Vaquero?
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Oh yes.... Ruger does still use catalog numbers. But they don't put those on the end labels any longer.
Lipsey's for example receives catalog numbers and model numbers for each of the models they have listed on their website.
Chet15