The East Coast Gathering has started: Now with a few pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Oh, and it is just a few seconds but here is the video of him running the course...
(no audio because I have not figures out how to do that with the drone):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J906wOMyoe8&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: I Did some work on the video and here is version #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ftPiEFY-g&feature=youtu.be

contender

Ruger Guru
That video is of me using my revolver.
That course of fire is an actual stage I'd designed & built for a Level I USPSA match. It consisted of; 8 paper targets,, requiring 2 rounds each for score. There were a few "no-shoots" (of which John nailed one twice,,, ) but a fairly quick & in general, "easy" stage. It had about 3 different ways to engage things that could work for different categories,, & levels of experience.
Blume is correct,, he ran it each time consistently, in the same scoring range. Wiz,, ran it a few times,, and his first run, had major gun jams so it wasn't very good. His second run was MUCH better,, no jams! John ran it a few times & his second run cost him dearly when he hit the no-shoots.
I ran it first with my 1911, and ran it in a hair over 9 seconds, (not the 8 mentioned.) And my score wasn't bad,, but as noted I did have (1) magazine change. If I'd been using a different high cap gun,, I could have shaved about 1-2 seconds off my time.
With my revolver,, I shot it in 14-1/2 seconds approx, with me having to reload twice, and make up a miss on my first run. My second run, (which the video is showing,) I ran it in under 14 seconds, but dropped 3 points more than my first run. But the time made up for my point loss enough to where I actually scored a bit better on my second run.

These "games" in shooting can sharpen skills, and point out ways a person needs to practice to be able to better perform IF,, (God forbid) you actually have to use a firearm for SD.

But it sure is fun to see what a person can do under the stress of a timer & striving for speed & accuracy.

I’m sorry I couldn’t make it either. Next year. By then hopefully everything is back to normal. Or a “new normal” at least.

Blume: I like the drone pictures and video. That was a great idea, thanks for posting them.

Really loved the “Coffin Case” Ron had for his Mk lV? Did I mention networking? Learn about shipping guns and all that entails. Swapped recipes both for ammo and food. Shooting other people’s guns/calibers. The FOOD! You can’t get better at a 5 star restaurant anywhere IMO!
gramps

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
As always Contender sets up a simulated combat course....this one was pretty simple, the odd thing is I ran it three times and each time took me longer .... I averaged about 16 -17 seconds with my semi-auto and no magazine change... Contender with magazine changes... 8 seconds...

Hi,

Ya gotta take your shoes off to keep up with Contender, blume!

Rick C

gramps said:
Really loved the “Coffin Case” Ron had for his Mk lV? Did I mention networking? Learn about shipping guns and all that entails. Swapped recipes both for ammo and food. Shooting other people’s guns/calibers. The FOOD! You can’t get better at a 5 star restaurant anywhere IMO!
gramps

Actually it was a Mark III that had been threaded for a suppressor. Also took my newly built 9mm SBR to make sure it didn't blow up. It ran great. Had the suppressed SIG 516 SBR (5.56mm) there along with some new guns that needed to be shot as well as my SA's (.357 Blackhawk, OM Bearcat, and the Lipseys Special Bearcat)

Folks, if you can at all make it in the future, you WILL NOT be disappointed. Everyone lets others shoot there guns if they want to try them out. The Friday night dinner that Tyrone and Miss Penny put on has never been anything but outstanding and then the Saturday night "low country boil" is to die for. CG's "dump cake" tops it off on Friday and I always make Miss Penny a belated birthday cake (4 layer, special dark chocolate cake with special dark chocolate icing) which she shares with us on Friday night.

This makes a great several day get away for the wife and I and we have never had anything but a great time (the wife even got Miss Penny into quilting this year - sorry Ty, your house will never be the same :D )

Myself, Blume, CG and others brought some give away and sale items and of course everyone swapped some big stories.

Don't miss next years edition, it gets better and better every year.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Next year I will definitely try to make the trip. My grandson now has most of my guns and I will have a bunch of stuff to let go. See you all next year.

contender

Ruger Guru
Big Old Boy,, we do hope you can make it next year.

Kevin, that revolver is a S&W, 646 in .40 S&W. A 6 shot,, and the course of fire required 2 reloads.

In the show & tell,, as I was snapping a few pics,, from about 10-12 ft away,,, I spotted something that made me immediately stop & zero in on it. Yep,, my suspicions were confirmed when I got my hands on it,, an all blue OM LWT with the steel cylinder. Wizofwas had this one,, and said it's a heck of a shooter.

And as noted,, we do have a lot of fun, and with the good Lord's blessing,, we'll do it next year as well. We usually try for the 1st weekend in Oct.

T.A. WORKMAN said:
Looks like a great time for all.
Blume those Drone aerial shots are great. How close could you zoom in on a subject from that height ?

Thanks for sharing,
Terry

No zoom lens on that drone... wish now I had spent the extra $500 for that option.... It does have a high deff camera on it made by Hazelbland .... 20meg still pictures and 4K video.... it's what I use in my work a lot.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Thanks for sharing the info, photos and video. I'm planning on attending next year if y'all will have me.

Jim

I'm a little late on this but was a busy week. iMovie kind of throws me but I managed to make a little youtube video of last Saturday:

https://youtu.be/GC2Vq2-xEzE

Edit: I did some more work on it and here is version #2, it is mo' better....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-ftPiEFY-g&feature=youtu.be