The Browning P35 Is Back! MERGED THREADS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

magshooter1

Bearcat
I have two Belgium/Portugal P-35's. A Practical (two tone) in .40 S&W and a Mk III in 9mm. I had a Argentine FM that I got for a song but some A-Hole stole it out of my GTI while it was left unattended at the tire shop. Pretty sure it as an employee but can't prove anything. And yes,I know it's my fault for leaving in the car. A mental lapse on my part. I may have to check the SA version out. These pistols just fit my hand better than just about all other handguns.

hpman66

Buckeye
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-c-Utwutb7A
Springfield Armory SA-35 Hi Power Review & 1000 round Test
sootch00
Jan 6, 2022

Acorn

Buckeye
Maybe being made of metal and hammer fired will keep the younger crowd away.

ProfessorWes

Buckeye
That was quick: FN decided it's time for them to start making Hi-Powers again.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/new-for-2022-fn-high-power/

Three new models are available at the FN High Power's launch, giving enthusiasts the choice of a black PVD-finished gun, stainless-steel or FN's unique flat dark earth. The guns are built on an all-steel frame, topped by a steel slide containing a 4.7" cold-hammer-forged steel barrel with an enlarged ejection port and a modernized barrel lockup to enhance reliability with modern ammunition. Unloaded, the all-metal gun weighs 40 ozs. While the gun retains classic touches, like the slide profile, slide release and tapered dust cover, many areas of the pistol have been touched to bring the High Power into the 21st century.

Gone are the single-side controls, and in their place is a bilateral slide-stop lever and thumb safety. The FN High Power also features a single-side, reversible magazine-release button. Additionally, the 13-round magazine capacity of the original High Power is a thing of the past. FN America skipped over the 15-round capacity seen in most of today's clones and outfitted its new High Power with a 17-round magazine.

Like Springfield, FN dispensed with the magazine disconnect safety.

That Flat Dark Earth model is plasticky-looking and downright fugly. None of the new FNs look as handsome as Springfield's version, to my eye. And they seem to think the FN name is apparently worth an extra $500 on the MSRP or so over the Springfield. Six hundred, if you spring for the stainless. OTOH, if the price on the 17-round mags is halfway reasonable, it might be worth picking a few of them up if you already have a Hi-Power or want to spring for the Springfield.

Ride1949

Bearcat
Of the two versions, I like the Springfield best. Better looking and priced right.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
If I get another high cap 9mm, it might be a Beretta or an XD. The High Power is a great gun, but now a days, its one of many.

But, the new and improved P35 styles have a lot going for them. And I am sure that they will do very well. Americas appetite for 9 mm pistols, is almost insatiable.

Cholo

Staff member
To my eye that new FN Hi Power looks terrible compared to the SA. That ambi-safety and hideous hang-me-down magazine extension look even worse on the HP than they do on a 1911. Plus, the scalloped part of the slide is quite a bit shorter than the original. No thanks.

blume357

Hawkeye
It was probably posted somewhere in a previous post but where is the Springfield made? That could be the deciding factor for some of us....

37fed

Single-Sixer
The FN does have an ambi safety. The Springfield does not. I realize the classic Hipower did not have an ambi safety, but it seems many Springfield 1911 models (except high end models) lack the ambi safety. Is there a function reason to not offe this?

Ale-8(1)

Staff member
37fed said:
The FN does have an ambi safety. The Springfield does not. I realize the classic Hipower did not have an ambi safety, but it seems many Springfield 1911 models (except high end models) lack the ambi safety. Is there a function reason to not offer this?

Cost and adherence to tradition? :wink:

Ale-8(1)

Staff member
Cholo said:
To my eye that new FN Hi Power looks terrible compared to the SA. That ambi-safety and hideous hang-me-down magazine extension look even worse on the HP than they do on a 1911. Plus, the scalloped part of the slide is quite a bit shorter than the original. No thanks.

AMEN! :?

ProfessorWes

Buckeye
A better look at FN's new Hi-Power at the link below. And it doesn't really look any better.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/editor-s-picks-shot-show-2022-day-one/

FN America High Power. Yes, FN America brought the High Power back. No, it’s not an exact clone. It doesn’t use the same internal parts as the original, the magazine holds 17 rounds rather than 13 and takedown is different, just to name a few differences. It’s very much like the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 38 versus an original Chief’s Special from 1950. Sure, they look the same, but the new version is quite different from the original. Obviously, the runaway success of the Springfield Armory SA-35 and some of the clones like the EAA have made their impression on FN. MSRP: $1,269.

So the FN isn't even really a Hi-Power anymore? And that tacky matte finish even on the "blued" version and awful plastic grips?

Yeah, definitely buy the Springfield SA-35 and spend the rest of the money on spare mags, ammo and a good holster.

Ale-8(1)

Staff member
And yet another one! The April issue of Shooting Times magazine has a write-up on the Girsan MC P35 version imported by European American Armory (EAA). This one's made in Turkey, looks pretty good, functions well, and is priced at $567 MSRP. It has ambidextrous thumb safeties (I refuse to say "bilateral") and unfortunately retains the magazine safety design.

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35/

And the magazine promises a write-up of yet another P35 clone in an upcoming issue. Looks like the year of the P35! :mrgreen:

ProfessorWes

Buckeye
Ale-8(1) said:
And yet another one! The April issue of Shooting Times magazine has a write-up on the Girsan MC P35 version imported by European American Armory (EAA). This one's made in Turkey, looks pretty good, functions well, and is priced at $567 MSRP. It has ambidextrous thumb safeties (I refuse to say "bilateral") and unfortunately retains the magazine safety design.

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35/

And the magazine promises a write-up of yet another P35 clone in an upcoming issue. Looks like the year of the P35! :mrgreen:

It's an elegant weapon from a more civilized age. Not as clumsy and random as a (*koff*Glock*koff) blaster.

:wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
ProfessorWes said:
It's an elegant weapon from a more civilized age. Not as clumsy and random as a (*koff*Glock*koff) blaster.

:wink:
Extremely well played, old friend! 8)

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Prices are still high on GB but continual checking just scored me one for MSRP. A dealer did an amazing thing that’s just rare these days. They listed it for sale, no auction, at MSRP. Much appreciated!

TomD

Ale-8(1)

Staff member
May issue of GUNS & AMMO has yet another review, this one on the Girsan MC P35 version from EAA. Made in Turkey. All steel. "Bilateral" (sorry) thumb safeties. Magazine disconnect (darn). Available 10, 13, and 15-round magazines. Three color choices . . . matte blue, flat dark earth, and two-tone silver/black. Good performance review. $544/$567 depending on color choice. No online review yet.

We have so many nice choices. 😍

Last edited: