The Bisley I want

Help Support Ruger Forum:

N2993D

Bearcat
Hi guys, first post.
I want a new vaquero bisley 357 mag in blue with a 4 5/8 inch barrel.
Ruger doesnt make them.
Im considering a Beretta Uberti Bisley.
Does anyone have one of these? Comparisons and comments please.
Ive never even handled a "real" Bisley, but I like the Ruger style Bisley. Ill be shooting 38s mostly.
Thank you
Tracy

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
I know that Ruger did make a blued Bisley Vaquero in 5.5" and I believe that they were also made in 4 5/8". You might watch Gunbroker or the gun shows.

REP1954

Blackhawk
The Ruger Bisley grip is completely different than a Beretta Uberti Bisley. the ruger is more like a long Keith No.5 and the Beretta is like the original Colt Bisley.

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
I like the Uberti grip but the handgun itself does not come close to meeting my expectations.

Ruger didn't offer the configuration I wanted, so, several years ago I hung a Bisley gripframe on a 7 1/2" .45 LC Vaquero for hunting and long distance competition reasons. My FA .454 has to rip a stitch to beat that old Vaq.

I have little experience with the New Vaq but I'm sure you can mix and match the parts and build one that meets your needs. This probably destroys any "collectible" qualities of these guns, but owning the Vaq I want trumps safe-queen status every time for me.

Good luck, Rich

BearBio

Buckeye
1) I have a 3.5" Ruger Bisley I made by putting the grip from a 5.5" onto an OM birdshead. With oversized, wooden Hogues, it's SWEET! I carry it for bears with 300gr, hardcast @ about 1100-1200 fps.(45 LC, of course). EPS Tom Threeperson in a fishscale pattern

2) I handled but didn't shoot Uberti Bisleys. I loved them compared to plow handles.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
BearBio":33c5ra5g said:
1) I have a 3.5" Ruger Bisley I made by putting the grip from a 5.5" onto an OM birdshead. With oversized, wooden Hogues, it's SWEET! I carry it for bears with 300gr, hardcast @ about 1100-1200 fps.(45 LC, of course). EPS Tom Threeperson in a fishscale pattern

This post is worthless without pictures :lol:

I'd love to see that setup.

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
BearBio, the conversion you describe was on my mind until I found a 2.5" S&W 629 without adj. sights. That'll do for now.

Sorry to lead your thread astray, N2993D, and welcome to the forum.

Rich

EDK

Single-Sixer
N2993D":2neducez said:
Hi guys, first post.
I want a new vaquero bisley 357 mag in blue with a 4 5/8 inch barrel.
Ruger doesnt make them.
Im considering a Beretta Uberti Bisley.
Does anyone have one of these? Comparisons and comments please.
Ive never even handled a "real" Bisley, but I like the Ruger style Bisley. Ill be shooting 38s mostly.
Thank you
Tracy

I am totally uninformed on NEW VAQUEROS, BUT I have converted several Original Size VAQUEROS and BLACKHAWKS to BISLEYS. Order the appropriate parts from Ruger and install them on the gun of your choice. Jim Stroh (ALPHA PRECISION) did the work on my guns while doing his usual superb tuning. It will cost a few $$, but if it's what you want, go for it. It would be cheaper to buy an Original Size BISLEY VAQUERO in the length you want...there are several on gunbroker, etc. AND you'd have a gun that could take loads that would loosen your fillings!

N2993D

Bearcat
Yeah Dana,
Im lucky enough to own a 1955 Cessna 170B AND a 1957 Ruger single six and theyre both still in original condition and working just fine.....2 American post war classics!

Tracy

Yep OM birdsheads are possible. Unfortunately you have to buy one of Ron Powers backstraps and front straps which are set up to allow you to cut it down to a birdshead. I got lucky last month and snagged a couple of his brass units that he had already machined to an old model birdshead configuration. You need one Blkhawk73 to go with that brass bisley you have up there :D .

patrick_ford

Bearcat
Hey Tracy,

I used to have a .357 Mag Uberti Bisley with a 4 5/8" barrel. It was a beautiful gun and it shot pretty good too. It had the customary Uberti teething problems that Uberti had to repair (had a very light trigger pull and didn't like staying at the full cock position). After they fixed it, it was very reliable. I ended up selling it to get a .44 magnum Ruger Bisley vaquero. I quickly decided I prefer bigger-bore revolvers. ;)

I have always liked both versions of the Bisley grips. They look unique and most people either love them or hate them. The Uberti pointed naturally for me as do the Ruger Bisleys, but not necessarily for everyone else.

Good luck on your decision, they both are good shooters!

Patrick

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Morning Bisley Enthusiasts

I really like the original Colt Bisley Revolver Grip.

From the shooting that I have done with my Uberti Bisley
44 S&W Special it appears that I can get more consistent
bullet groups then a SAA (Single Action Army) grip.

Bisley44Spl15per.jpg

I have never shot a Ruger Bisley yet, but hope to add a Ruger/Lipsey
Stainless Steel Flattop 44 S&W Spl 5-1/2 Bbl, soon to my collection.

Hope this helps

P.S. is this photo opening up when you click on this thread?

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Here is my U.S. Fire Arms Premium Revolvers, 44 S&W Special,
of course. The USFA Bisley has not been shot yet.
Trying to collect an USFA Bisley Flat Top 5-1/2 bbl any either 44 or 38 cal
currently

Picture003.jpg

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Speaking of USFA...

Has anyone here tried one of their guns with the "Omni" grip? It's sort of like a Colt/Uberti/Beretta style Bisley but different. They make both an Omni-Potent and Omni-Target model. http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/omnipotent.asp

It looks interesting, but it's not like there's one in a shop one can go handle... I like the distance between the grip and the trigger, though I could do without the sling swivel.

-- Sam