The "Big Game Tag Drawing" Blues...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfsong

Staff member
Every year California, like other states, conducts its annual lottery drawings for big game tags in premium hunting zones, for deer, sheep, elk, antelope etc. The deadline for applying has historically been June 2. The drawings usually conclude 10 days later. The results are then announced within a few days. Tags/notices are then mailed out, usually arriving at the end of June. If, for some reason, your tag hasn't arrived by mail by then, simply contact F&G and request a duplicate. Easy enough, right?

But no. Every year on June 3rd, the hunting forums are inundated with the questions " Anyone got their results yet? What's taking so long?" These questions are accompanied by comments about how screwed up the system is and arguments about how many preference points are needed to draw a primo tag in a prmo zone (Ask the computer). Eventually this quiets down until the results are released. That event restarts the discussion about how screwed up the system is and how many preference points are needed to draw a primo tag in a primo zone, followed by "When are they gonna mail me my tag(s)?" This does NOT diminish with the passing of time, it intensifies!

Then, true to historic records, F&G begins mailing out tags. Slowly but steadily the coveted tags work their way through the mail system to our mailboxes. God help F&G if EVERYONE doesn't receive their tags on the same day! That rekindles the bitching about how screwed up the system is. Sigh.

Keep in mind that it's only June 26th. And that the general rifle season doesn't open until SEPTEMBER 15th! TWO AND A HALF MONTHS AWAY! At this time, sheer panic has taken control. Suicide hotlines are overloaded. Wives take the children and run for safety. Pitchforks and torches are collected, ready to be distributed to the mob that plans to march on the F&G headquarters in Sacramento. But, come Monday the 29th or Tuesday the 30th the straggling tags arrive and peace prevails.

Sigh. Now begins the inevitable inquiries from hunters who drew tags for a zone they've never hunted before. Questions like "Hey. I drew Zone XYZ for the first time. Can anyone tell me the best roads to drive, which mountain to hunt, what rifle caliber to use (with what ammo, of course), what camo, what scope, yada yada yada. Oh and I don't want your honey holes but where did you shoot your buck (in the heart/lungs, grasshopper)?" I guess all the stress over actually getting their tags has worn them out so much that they can't do any actual map reading and scouting during the TWO AND A HALF MONTHS 'TIL OPENING DAY!!!

I am not making this up. Happens every year. No wonder hunter success rates are down. There are few true hunters actually out there! $30,000 trucks, a fifth wheel, a quad, $5,000 in rifle, scope, binos, camos and gadgets ( GoPros, shotcams, GPSs, walkie-talkies etc.) but not a hunter in the group.

Ah, deer hunting in California. Ain't it grand?

The internet has made it too easy to expect instant gratification as well as to not think for oneself when you can ask a zillion folks a bazillion questions.

Ain't it grand?! :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Gator89

Blackhawk
One would think the home state of Silicon Valley would have switched to E-tags long ago.

I use an app on my phone for all hunting and fishing activity in FL and GA.

AJGUNNER

Hunter
Happy to hear it is not only Oregon. Only difference here is that they first charge for a license, then bend you over again to pay for an application fee to try to get a tag. Sorry you didn't draw a tag but we get to keep your license and tag fee. Oh ya, even though the fees seem to go up in price, the number of actual animals continues to dwindle because we have less money each year to actually manage the game animals. What you get here is a preference point which you can use next year for raising your odds of trying to draw a tag. I have 13 points for elk---yes 13 years of trying to draw a tag. This is now my 4th year of boycotting the system. Figure I don't need to bother donating my dollars to a system that does not function correctly for the guys that are paying for it.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Deer hunting for me does not require anything more than sitting in my shop/hide 75' from my back door, and waiting for one to walk by at under 100yds. Don't even need a hunting license, let alone a lottery win. So I can't relate to the CA experience at all. Sorry (not really). :lol:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
July 1 is start of applying for Missouri Managed hunts. Archery, muzzle loaders. I’ve not read anything on CWD. I doubt if it’s changed much.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Not much to do yet, so thought I drop some pics of where I shoot from during deer season.

From inside my wood shop using the TS as a bench. It's about 110yds to the tree line.

hXXINeG.jpg

Henry on the TS:

OSETPMo.jpg

What Henry sees at 4x:

OXiQ82g.jpg

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
GunnyGene said:
Not much to do yet, so thought I drop some pics of where I shoot from during deer season.

From inside my wood shop using the TS as a bench. It's about 110yds to the tree line.

Reminds me of my Uncle in PA that had a home on a mountainside; 20+ acres, about 6 - 7 cleared and the rest Original trees and mountainside. Home and barn sat on about 2 acres, the balance of cleared land he leased to a local farmer for growing feed grain for his dairy herd. My uncle would step out on his back porch in the morning (for "water" disposal) take a look up at the end of the grain field and if it was deer season would reach back into the kitchen and select a rifle (Win 94 or ???) pick out a nice size buck and drop it. Then back into the kitchen a cup of hot tea and then run up to the end of the field to load his kill. (note: He DID always buy a hunting license for himself and my Aunt along with deer tags; NEVER knew my Aunt to fire a weapon, but two deer went into the freezer.
DId I forget to mention the WHOLE rest of the mountaiside was State Forest preserve?

Latest posts