The Bible and material possessions.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Seems to me if you are able to tithe (10%) and still give to those in need, I don't know that cares if you have something that you enjoy and bought with the money he's entrusted to you. If you are in debt and want that stuff, I think it's a problem. The borrower is slave to the lender. I don't think he wants you enslaved by debt and still going out buying toys. JMHO

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
If your material possessions, like the gun collection, are harming or preventing you from doing what God has called you to do with what He's given you in your life, then yes. If not, then no. Only you can answer that.

I believe we'll have to answer 2 questions when it's time to give an account for our lives to God. What did you do with my Son? In other words, did you accept Him as your Lord and Savior and follow His teachings on how to live your life? Second, what did you do with the time, talent, and treasure I LOANED you while you lived?

Jesus never said money was evil, only the love of it. Money is just a tool. How you use the money you have indicates it's priority in your heart.

Sorry for the sermon :)
First, if you answer Yes to number one, I find that hard to believe that you have never screwed up in life. On #2 I have never read or heard of Jesus ever thinking riches were good, the eye of the needle camel thing, and the fact that Jesus never sought any form of wealth etc and did not try and endear himself to the rich & powerful. threw out the money lenders etc and generally showed a fairly solid disdain for money & wealth (IMHO) but rathe sought out the down trodden & poor. Then gain , i am no expert on these matters.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Bob;
I just re-read your post and saw this : "if during hunting season you'd opt to go into the woods rather than into God's house, " and the thought occurred to me that; THE WOODS ARE MORE GOD'S HOUSE than some building with fancy seats, etc etc.
If I'm in the woods on a Sunday and I kneel to pray and ask forgiveness for any sins I may have committed and I HAVE a small communion wine and bread set (yes they do make them); How am I NOT taking stock of my "wants" ?

KIR

Single-Sixer
The Constitution was written incorrectly...it should have been "...freedom FROM religion...". There are a few politicians out there who want to start up a theocrary...only thing is, they want THEIR church to be the main one in the U.S. It would be like the Vatican with their religious leaders controlling all walks of life without any sayso by the general public. Beware of them!

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Yes, religion is great if you are religious, and having others constantly trying to shove it down your throat is not high on my list. if you believe , great. if you don't that is Ok too. That is America, freedom of choice!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
ouch! Kinda like rolling the dice on that one? You hope you have given the right amount etc but won't know until its too late?! I think I will try and err on the side of giving more! I need to work harder at that.

The Lord Jesus made that very clear, in regards to the amount given, when he compared the widow's mite. As in most examples, it is not the amount, but rather the heart with which it is given.

Bob Wright

ronto

Single-Sixer
First, if you answer Yes to number one, I find that hard to believe that you have never screwed up in life. On #2 I have never read or heard of Jesus ever thinking riches were good, the eye of the needle camel thing, and the fact that Jesus never sought any form of wealth etc and did not try and endear himself to the rich & powerful. threw out the money lenders etc and generally showed a fairly solid disdain for money & wealth (IMHO) but rathe sought out the down trodden & poor. Then gain , i am no expert on these matters.
Read 1 Timothy 6: 17-19. God does not have distain for the rich. Only a warning not to become attached to worldly things.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Yes, religion is great if you are religious, and having others constantly trying to shove it down your throat is not high on my list. if you believe , great. if you don't that is Ok too. That is America, freedom of choice!

Snake Pleskin:

My belief is that there is a Hell of eternal fire, never ending. As a Christian, it is my duty to warn others of this. And that there is life eternal in a place called Heaven, where all old things are passed away, and a Day of eternal peace and rest.

Its sort of like passing a burning building and knowing there are occupants inside. I have an obligation to warn those people of the fire, and it is their choice either to leave or remain. Should they ignore my warning and perish, or escape, is their choice.

If eternity proves me wrong, I've lost nothing. If eternity proves the unbeliever wrong, he has lost everything.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Yes, I do not disagree with what you believe. However, that is why churches are full of so many hypocrites IMHO, they are all hedging their bets, saying they are believers yet, many of their actions/behaviors in life, make me doubt their sincerity. Yes, I know, now you will tell me how God will know all the true believers etc , But that does not change the fact that many people who claim to be good Christians, go to Church regularly, quote the scriptures, expound on their religious fervor, yet do not follow the teachings of Christ to the letter. They do not think all people are equal, nor do they treat them that way, as an example. They support policies that discriminate, are biased or self serving. I remember something about "he who is with out sin, pick up the first stone....kind of like people who live in glass houses...I have yet to see that, even on this forum. A lot of closed minds that think only their view is the correct view. That does not sound particularly Christian to me. Then, I am not an expert on the subject.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye

vito

Hunter
Life is short. This is the only life that we are sure of. You may believe with all your heart that there is life after death but no one KNOWS that for certainty. While alive it behooves each of us to live a moral and compassionate life, but that does not preclude finding joy and happiness as well. If your gun collection, or your classic car, or the tools in your workroom, or whatever bring you joy and peace then I cannot imagine a just and merciful God not being okay with that. I will add that for anyone on the forum who feels truly burdened with their gun collection, or their cash in the bank, or excessive real estate, etc. there is a solution. Contact me my PM and we can arrange for you transfer those guns, cash, real estate, etc. to me for holding while we are both on this Earth.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Snake Pleskin said: " A lot of closed minds that think only their view is the correct view. That does not sound particularly Christian to me. Then, I am not an expert on the subject."

That is not only my view, but also the view The Lord Jesus Christ Himself spoke: "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

The choice is yours.

Bob Wright
Thanks, i realize the choice is mine. There in lies the problem. Thanks again.

Armybrat

Buckeye
John in 2:15-17 asserts that we should not love anything that is worldly, that is, what does not come from God, the Father. The implication is that what flows from the Father is always good, and what comes from the World is often bad. Think of the 7 Deadly Sins as being the parameters of bad. To get a full grasp on John’s proclamation one has to look at he world in John’s time. People being mostly powerless got what despots, kings, conquerors, etc gave them. The powerful were mostly corrupt. Reading the Old Testament offers proof of that. You might consider that John was saying keep away from those things that flow from evil. Your gun collection is fine to have as long as it does not get used to do evil or become evil because it deprives others of their honest and real needs.
After all, John Moses Browning’s genius & talent were gifts from God.

JackBull

Bearcat

I am a strong believer in Jesus Christ but dislike religion as it is man made. The best way for my to witness to you is to live my life according to the Bible. Trying to force you to believe will do nothing but push you away. It did to me for years. When you have troubles, seek the Word of God for guidance. Please remember there are many that claim they know Christ but He does not know them.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I will say this about my beliefs and then shut up on the subject.

As most of you know, I recently lost my wife of nearly fifty years. I was able to stand by her bed and say "I'll see you in THAT morning." According to my Bible, when she drew her last breath and died, she awoke in the presence of God Almighty and saw the face of the Lord Jesus Christ. She would never know pain or suffering again. And I have full assurance I'll see her again one day.

This knowledge has kept me going the last few weeks and been of great comfort to me in this time of grief. Can youj offer anything better?

Bob Wright

Latest posts