The armed citizen and body armor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've been seeing all sorts of body armor advertised lately. My opinion is body armor isn't much help unless you happen to have a squad medic within close proximity.

dweis

Blackhawk
The only body armor I've ever worn was early VN era, and I ditched it after a couple days. Too hot, too heavy, and all it did was slow you down.
I hated it. Like you I ditched mine. When asked why by a buddy I told him it was hot, heavy, and really made one less agile. He thought about it for a minute and tossed his too.

It's advertised because the manufacturers want to sell it to you -- not because you need it. I really can't think of a bigger waste of money for the typical private citizen wanting to defend himself.

Like a lot of things, I'm sure body armor can be useful for some people, for certain purposes, and at certain prices. Like most folks, I've lived in multiple places, from rural New Mexico to southern California. While I can't picture armor being of much use in a rural environment, a major metro area might be a different story. I remember business owners defending their shops during the Rodney King riots out in California, for example, and would guess that even a cheap military surplus 'flak vest' might be helpful in that kind of situation (to slow down or stop birdshot, .22s, thrown objects, etc.). Those shop owners weren't hiking to the next county, and there were still local hospitals functioning, so something that might offer even limited protection could possibly be helpful. The same might apply for citizens stuck in urban areas, who might need to protect their families, elderly neighbors, church buildings, who knows what.

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

The problem I've always felt about body armor is .... first it is assumed your assailant is going to shoot for center mass... and on top of that when in a stressful situation it is often stated that the average shooter's accuracy goes down 50%.....
The course I've taken a number of times... trains two shots to center mass and if that does not stop / drop the threat then a head shot is next.

buckaroo

Banned
I've been seeing all sorts of body armor advertised lately.

It's all about creating fear Mo, the gun manufactures along with the NRA are experts at it. (while doing nothing for gun rights)
In Great Britain they wear knife vest, and I personally fear people with knives more than I do with guns. I've seen it up close and personal what someone can do with a knife.

They may get our guns eventually but even a butter knife can be sharpen. If you get that fearful just stay home because the odds are you will never get shot, but knifed, yeah the odds are much hire. You'll probably develop a future disease from the COVID-19 jabs before you ever get shot. (with no way to prove it)

I've been seeing all sorts of body armor advertised lately...

I have not seen the ads you mention, but it might be that some businesses are trying to reduce inventory, if they think the feds might include body armor in some upcoming ban (via legislation or simply rewriting federal regs). That's something that a lot of the 'gun grabber' types have mentioned in recent years - which I find quite interesting, given that armor is defensive in nature & rarely used in crimes.

I also find it interesting that armor seems to be in high demand in most of the world's 'trouble spots', which might indicate that it's actually useful in at least some hazardous situations. Or maybe that's just a reminder that people prefer some protection to no protection, if circumstances & budget allow.

As always, FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.

After wearing body armor for about 30 years of a 39-year career. I won't be wearing any again. They were all under a shirt, I had different brands and different threat levels of armor. No matter what time of year, my tee shirt and underwear were wet when I took it off. In later years the vest panels had a little tester square in them. That was to warn the wearer the vest had absorbed enough moisture the vest was no longer safe to protect the wearer. About 5 years and there no good. Before that many were replaced about 8 years. The vest plate holders start wearing through in about 2-3 years. If you read the fine print, none I ever seen stopped rifle bullets unless shot at far away. Kevlar vests will not stop a knife, but some had metal plates added in them would.
After the LAPD shoot out with bank robbers wearing armor, in Oregon they passed a law making it illegal for any convicted felon from buying or possessing body armor. As far as I know, no one has ever been charged or convicted of that crime.
The newest over the uniform shirt vest or load carrying vest. I have no idea how well they hold up and for how long. The advantage to that style to me is that police gear carried on it is better than on the belt around your waist.
If anyone is allowed to buy and wear them, have at it. It's your money not mine. Unless you're working a job that places you in a position to stop bad guys from doing bad things. I think it's silly to buy and wear body armor. But I certainly won't stop you from doing so.

Last edited:
If I knew that I would need body armor for where I was going that day, I would go somewhere else. I can hardly imagine a normal citizen putting on armor every day. But then again, there are some that carry two or even three guns at all times, with multiple magazines, a couple of knives, maybe a baton or pepper spray, etc. The reality for most of us is that we will go our entire adult lives without ever once needing a firearm to defend ourselves or someone we love. Carrying a holstered handgun daily is about as far as I think it is reasonable for a non-paranoid person to go for that real, but extremely unlikely chance that a gun will be needed. For me, that's why I never feel extra vulnerable when all I have with me is a 5 round short barreled revolver in a pocket holster in my front right pocket, or my 7+1 LC9s.

Enigma

Hunter
The problem I've always felt about body armor is .... first it is assumed your assailant is going to shoot for center mass... and on top of that when in a stressful situation it is often stated that the average shooter's accuracy goes down 50%.....
The course I've taken a number of times... trains two shots to center mass and if that does not stop / drop the threat then a head shot is next.

Called a 'failure to stop' drill by LE, and intended specifically for perps wearing body armor. I practice it regularly. The groin area is also frequently substituted for the head; easier to hit, and contains numerous major blood vessels.

Chief 101

Hunter
from the internet.jpg

Just to be honest-body armor on a civilian shouts MALL NINJA in my book.
Another "MN" indicator is the dude that shows up at the range with a full 'load out' of magazines, pouches, special gloves, 'delta team' helmet, and knee/elbow pads. The instant I see this garb, I lose all interest in whatever that dude might say or do.
Fortunately, I have my own range and therefore don't get involved with such folks.

Just to be honest-body armor on a civilian shouts MALL NINJA in my book.
Another "MN" indicator is the dude that shows up at the range with a full 'load out' of magazines, pouches, special gloves, 'delta team' helmet, and knee/elbow pads. The instant I see this garb, I lose all interest in whatever that dude might say or do.
Fortunately, I have my own range and therefore don't get involved with such folks.

As far as "mall ninjas" go, you sound a lot more tolerant than I am! If I see somebody with a handgun that has a rail, or a rifle with multiple rails &/or a freefloat handguard about as long as the barrel, my very first thought is "MALL NINJA!" Useless rails on a firearm are enough - no other "tacticool features" required.

(Although in fairness, I have to admit to owning ONE handgun with a built-in rail, because I couldn't get that model without it. I would permanently remove it, but the dang serial number is in the way! :>)

Last edited: