The 9.3 has been de-flowered!!!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Well, I decided to take the 9.3x74R out for a spin today.......with hopes of putting some meat in the freezer.

About 5:00 a yearling appeared in one of the shooting lanes, about 200 yards away. She slowly started feeding her way toward me, and about five minutes later a large doe came out from the same spot about 200 yards away.

The yearling worked her way to around 100 yards, but the doe hung up and fed about 150-175 yards away. I know the 9.3 has the range, but I was wishing I had a different rifle with me at that point. Finally the doe worked a little closer and offered a broadside shot.

I obliged her with a 270gr Speer Semi-Spitzer through the ribcage. She lunged forward into the brush and disappeared. The shot felt right, but I couldn't be certain about the hit.

Meanwhile, the yearling was just standing there......looking around.....trying to decide her next move. I decided that my freezer could use some more meat, so I quickly fumbled in my pack for another round......and delivered another Speer through the ribs of the yearling.

Neither deer ran more than 10 yards. The doe was taken at a paced 157 yards and the yearling at 110. The doe weighed 130 lbs and the yearling came in at 60 lbs.

All in all, a pretty good first outing for the 9.3..........two deer in about 15 seconds with a single shot rifle.

It was getting dark, so I could only take a couple of quick pics, because I had to get the deer to the processor before they closed for the night. The deer look so "scruffy" from dragging them through the brush.

BTW, I'm going back on Sunday......so I hope to break in another rifle then.

P1010013-6.jpg

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
I've been temped several times to buy a couple different 9.3's. Having a 375 has just kept me from going in that direction. I love the round but the 375 gives me a slightly larger bullet and some additional punch when I need it. Congrats on your success and you have a beautiful rifle.

bham shooter

Bearcat
Bigboreshooter":3m1b5ciz said:
bham shooter":3m1b5ciz said:
Hey Phil, just wanted to say hi over here as well. Just joined today.

Hey Rob, welcome to the Ruger forum. Lots of great folks here, too.

Thanks. I figured since I have the LCP, and probably a 10 22 in the very near future, I'd come on over and check it out.

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Way to go. I broke my 9.3 in right before Thanksgiving. It is really a great classic caliber in a classic rifle. TnTnTn