The .45 adventure ahead...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
If you get a chance to, pick up the book Big Bore Revolvers by Max Prasac. Besides the wonderful pictures there is lots of good info there. A good read. Max gives couple of pages just to the .45 Colt on p. 28 and p. 29. Voice of experience :) .

+1 to Max's book. I bought a copy when it came out in 2012 and enjoy re-reading it from time to time.

Cordite

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CraigC

Hawkeye
+1 on Max's books!

Definitely read the Linebaugh and Seyfried articles. However, keep in mind that when these were written, most of it could be taken as gospel. These days, we have better .44 bullets and the .45 just can't outrun it in standard six-shot guns with comparable bullets up to the 350-360gr range.

trigger643

Bearcat
I once had several .45lc revolvers but am down to just one, and have relegated to the trade fodder shelf. Really nothing against the caliber and in my time I quite enjoyed it. But simplification of a my shooting tastes over recent years has me doing most of my wheel gunning in .41 or .357 for no particular reason other than personal preference.

Here's my last .45lc.

Question ??? I have the new 45 Colt / 45 acp Blackhawk Bisley, Love It !!!! Why is it Only a Blackhawk ??? Same Size Frame as My 41 and 44 Superblackhawk Hunters ??? Sorry, Just Wondering ??? Thanks

Rclark

Hunter
Ahhh, you got caught up with 'marketing'. The BH and the SBH (Hunter included) use exactly the same large cylinder frame and cylinders... Just different size holes! The grip frames are interchangeable. If you recall, Ruger History, there was the flattop BH .44Mag back in '56. The Super Blackhawk was introduced in '59. The flattop was dropped in around '63 I believe. Again just marketing. The SBH had the new ears around the rear sight, and a different grip frame the dragoon style.... So it was marketed as 'Super'. :D

There are now medium frame BHs out there for .44Special, .357, and .45 Colt/.45 ACP. The .44Special is a factory cataloged item, while the the .357 and .45 are Lipsey special runs. All have flattops and have a three digit prefix on the serial number. There was also a .357 50th (2005) on the medium frame and a 50th flattop BH (2006) on the large frame. Confused yet? :)

Thanks !!!! Not Yet, But it does sound Confusing !!!! Ruger Revolvers are Number 1 in My Book !!!! Semi-Auto and it is a Springfield for Me !!!! But The Revolvers are Way More Fun To Shoot and Reload !!!

sousana

Single-Sixer
I've been a fan of the OM vaquero for ages. I've got 9, six of which are 4.75" bbl & 3 are 5.5" models. 45 colt is versatile from low powered to hot loads, which is why the old model vaquero is my fave as it can handle hot loads where the new model vaquero is rated for cowboy action loads.

On my 300 acres of all forest and stream, I normally carry a freedom arms 454 casull loaded with 45 colt bear loads and a Henry 45 long colt rifle.

I've since picked up a pair of Alaskans in 454. I like the ability to have speedloaders with the alaskan as I can have 454 casull loads on tap as needed. As to ammo? I recently picked up 10k rounds of 45 colt ammo, 250gr fmj-fp at $19 per 50rd box. At home I keep my vaquero and alaskan loaded with liberty 76gr fragmentation rds, in the woods I use 45 colt fmj and use 300gr jhp 454 loads.

Rclark

Hunter
I've been a fan of the OM vaqueros...
Well, I might be too ... if there was just such a revolver :) . Would be nice to have an OM (three screw) Vaquero :D . Yes indeed! Unfortunately there is only the NM original Vaquero and the NM New Vaquero. Just had to say it.... That said I have one original Vaquero (.45 Colt) and and couple New Vaqueros (.44Spec and .45 Colt). Enjoy them all!

I probably won't ever get a .454, .480, .475, .500 as I can always load up any of my .45 Colts to the power level I may need in the woods, so I don't see a need for those cartridges. The age of dinosaurs is past, so, truly, the .45 Colt will do all that needs doing around this neck of the woods.