The .41 Mag-Not Enough Gun..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tookalisten

Blackhawk
What a great pic! My Dad passed away 3 yrs ago just 2 months short of age 81 and I have a picture sitting on my desk of him holding up a bass he caught in his pond; I look at it everyday and miss the times we fished and hunted together. Thanks for posting; it actually brought back a bunch of great memories for me!

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
NO!!! The 41 Magnum is NOT ENOUGH! The deer must be deader. That can only be done with a 430 diameter 300 grain hard cast at 1400 fps, at the TRUE upper limit of the 44 Magnum! (S&W forum has pictures of a S&W 629 whose owners found its true upper limit!)

Just to be contrary, I just might take my S&W 41 Mag Mountain Gun hog hunting over Thanksgiving. I would love to post a picture of an indigestable 500 pounder killed dead as Custer with a 41.

joe812

Single-Sixer
Nice. I need to find time to hunt again. All my deer for the past 15 years have been take with a .41 mag Ruger Blackhawk, though now I am leaning towards my old model .45.

Otony

Blackhawk
Chuckbuster,

You and your dad both look great (and I figured it was a hat cover straight off, BTW). Share as many of these moments as you can with him, you will never, ever regret it.

As to the .41 magnum, I have recently decided to go back to shooting one after many years of .44 magnums. The .41 was actually my first large bore handgun other than a .357 magnum or .45ACP, and I was ALWAYS pleased with them. I had two S&W 57s and a Ruger. Always thought the N-frame was a perfect vehicle for the .41 too.

Somewhere along the way I started shooting .44 mags and sort of never looked back at the .41, good as it is. Never gave it much thought, just made a change and closed my mind about it.

Now I have started having trouble with arthritis and some nerve damage in my hands and find that while full house .41s are quite acceptable, hot .44s or full tilt .45 Ruger loads just flat out cause my hands to ache after a day at the range. Not so with a .41, and for me, anything I might be tempted to hunt with a handgun could easily be taken with a .41 maggie. I sold all my .45 Colts and .44 mags, and am now muddling through life with a few .44 Specials, one Ruger .41, and one 1911. And life couldn't be better.

Except that I wish my dad was here to play with 'em too.......

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
Great buck. Great gun. Great caliber. Most importantly, great time with Pa. For me, its not shooting an animal anymore, its the time in the woods with family. My father and I hunt together all the time. Sat. I take my daughter our deer hunting for the first time. I think I am more excited than she is.

Vance in Ak

Bearcat
Beautiful buck & like everyone else said, even cooler that you & your dad were together...
I truly hope the 41 is enough gun for the buck. A custom 4.5" blackhawk in 41 mag with 265 hardcast in it is my normal hiking & bowhunting brown bear defense gun here in Alaska.

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
Cracker-American":2hug3p62 said:
Almost forty year fan of the .41. I would really like to know details of the load you were using and the autopsy results.

And the picture, priceless.

245 gr Hard Cast out of a mold my Brother in Law designed and made. He is just learning the trade, so far doing pretty well. Sort of a "Keith" with a gas check, a little less grease than Elmer liked. Bullet has been very accurate both at the Hunting Load level and in a practice load (6.2gr TRAIL BOSS/CCI 300). Bullets are sized .412, barrel slugs .410, throats are .412.

20 gr. of H-110 in a Federal Nickeled case with a Win WLP to get things started. I have not checked this load for speed yet on the Chronograph.

As for Autopsy, shot was 35-40 yards. Hit in the back of the shoulder, missed all major bones, took front of the lungs then broke a rib on the way out. Deer ran 60-70 yards and ran into a tree, don't want to be too graphic but effect bullet had done was obvious before field dressing. Only lost a pound or so of meat to true "bloodshot" condition. As they say, "eat right up to the hole".

Thanx for all the nice comments. I honestly would have been just as happy with a 4 point "Meat Buck". It really is all about being out with Dad...

Kevin

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
8) Saw the first post and the picture; did not read the rest; went to the o'head cabinet and poured a STIFF ONE!(!) What a day, What a Deer! Makes these seven decade eyes misty.............Great and Good for you! I am so damn impressed, I am emotional. This, My Stalwarts, is one of those great emotional events in the life of a Friend......SALUTE!!!!!!!! 8) :wink:

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Oh Buster Of Chucks,

You irresponsible savage! What if that monster had charged you, the minimum caliber you should take afield is the .700 Eartheinboomer! You call yourself a sportsman? FOR SHAME!

Just a response to the title, felt it called for the smarty pants to come full circle...

I'm jelous, great job, and many more. Good times.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Great pic and a VERY nice deer. The photo is the true trophy here, guys. You'll have the memory when all else fades. Hope you get the chance to make many more of the same. Congrats to you and your dad. Rodfac