THE 1973 GUN DIGEST

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
On this beautiful cover are the first images ever released of Ruger's newest D/A revolver the SPEED-SIX. The back cover is dedicated to the Ruger Old Army
and the Number 3 Rifle, with an interesting piece of art work from Bill's personal collection.

While there is no write up on the new SPEED-SIX on the cover in the Digest, there is a very interesting story to be told about a possible proto-type of this very gun
that is in the collection of another D/A Collector. I will let him chime in and share the story should he decide to.
;)

Enjoy
Terry

J3yIXydh.jpg

QZtGGNwh.jpg

zGH5f8Uh.jpg

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
That hammer has to be styled from the shape of a S/A by the looks of it. Can't tell for sure but the image to the left looks like an even different hammer spur.
Notice the sharp curve to it.
I love going through those old Digests. They take you right down memory lane!
Thanks for sharing.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I think I may be the guy TA is referencing. I have this one:
SDA-82-round-butt-150-01571.jpg

Which lettered as a prototype Speed Six:
SDA-82-prototype-SS-82-letter.jpg

It is also high polished, and is just a few digits away from the A. A. White engraved gun, which is 150-01563.

The first several hundred numbered DA's (at least through 150-00200, possibly as high as 150-00500), were produced later for subscribers and have the later forged barrels. But the earliest produced guns, which are higher numbered than the subscriber guns and below about 150-02000 have cast barrels. The cast barrels can be spotted by the shape of the extractor rod shroud channel.

I took this pic long ago to show the difference (I think the cast barrel in this pic is on 150-00783, which is a regular square butt SDA-82):

Cast_vs_Forged_bbl_small.jpg

To Ale's point about design influences across the lines, the DA's had the transfer bar safety from the outset, which in turn was an influence on the New Model single actions. The earliest Ruger DA that I am aware of was built in 1969 with a prototype "X" serial number.

That hammer has to be styled from the shape of a S/A by the looks of it. Can't tell for sure but the image to the left looks like an even different hammer spur.
Notice the sharp curve to it.
I love going through those old Digests. They take you right down memory lane!
Thanks for sharing.

I believe the image to the left is a Drawing. Yes; the hammer does have a S/A look to it. I like it but the one then ended up using is probably a better shape for it's intended uses.

I love these old Gun Digests and Shooters Bibles. I studied them endlessly when I couldn't afford to actually buy the guns within. And I still have many of these old publications.

I also very much appreciate all the recent posts of the Sec/Speed/Service Six revolvers. Buying my first one in 1974, I knew I was onto something, when much of the shooting world had not yet caught on.

Thanks.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Bob,
Your Right ! Only fitting that the man who owns it tell the story. I remember watching that gun and did not have the coin to play & apparently
no one else did and it went unsold. Second time around you had done your home work and the rest is history!:)(y)
I remember you and Chad comparing thoughts on her, I was glad you got it.
Terry
PS- How is the Fraulein ?;)

chet15

Hawkeye
That is a neat one.

One of the earliest Articles about the Security Six was in the 1970 Gun Digest. It was also a prototype; Check out the HAMMER SPUR on it.
Isn't that neat!!! never noticed that hammer before!
That 1970 Gun Digest example is prototype #X2.
Chet15

Latest posts