The 180 gr. XTP .44 Mag load......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Tried a few of these Underwood Ammo loads in my Henry .44 Mag carbine last week and was impressed with the little pumpkin
smashers they are! https://youtu.be/2ckzPZCuAbE
Have had this ammo sitting around for 6 yrs. and from results decided to make up my own duplicate load using same 180 XTP
bullet and Alliant 2400 powder.
Ran the Underwood across my chrony and saw 2000 FPS out of my 16 inch carbine barrel...no wonder the pumpkins exploded!

My loads were in the ballpark at 1950-1980's using 24.5 gr. of 2400 powder and shot a few thru my .44 SBH revolver giving 1550 FPS.
Nice load for blowing up little targets and maybe light hunting with the Henry Carbine!

3qHc8pN.jpg

IKE

Single-Sixer
240's are pretty much the standard bullet weight for the .44 mag. but I found awhile back that the 180's work well also.

During the powder crunch I purchased a couple pounds of Hodgdon CFE Pistol to tide me over till my old standbys were in better supply.

I found some Hornady 180 gr. XTP's sitting around and thought for the heck of it I'd try them with the CFE Pistol powder.

Using 13.6 grs of CFE Pistol, a firm crimp, WLP primers and slow firing single action off bags at 25 yds. with my 5.5" Redhawk I had one large jagged hole with six rounds.......the load has not been shot over a chrony nor have I yet fired it at a distance greater than 25 yds.

Hodgdon data using a 8.275" barrel, CFE Pistol and 180 gr. XTP's;

Min. 12.6 grs.....1466 fps.
Max. 14.0 grs.....1595 fps.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
If you plan on using those on game out of the carbine,you might want to call hornady and ask about impact velocities. I used the 240 grain xtp in a muzzleloader. Started out around 1950 fps. I shot a small doe, real small, at about 20 yards. Neck shot facing me. Killed the deer. But the entire jacket was stuck in the hide of the entrance. Bullet did not exit. Did not find a piece of lead bigger than about an 1/8". I called hornady and they suggested impact velocity should not exceed 1800 fps. I had to be real close to that.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Couple yrs ago the XTP was developing a bad rap regarding penetration. I dont recall the details but at the time my son had a bad experience w/ them and a plastic sabot. There were several postings discussing that problem back then.

He quit shooting them and I could ask him about the details.

With a factory Remington .44 mag load, my Marlin Cowboy Limited 24 inch dropped a 120 pound antlerless buck, last year very nicely at eighty five yards in open country. He was quartering away at good speed and I knew the load would not be a good penetrator, but aimed ahead of his flank and behind his diaphragm. I missed that shot, but he turned and gave me a perfect broadside. I made a lucky shot striking right where I had aimed just above the heart, dropping him instantly. There was no struggle, and he was gone within less than a minute. The bullet was not found but the wound channel went 85 percent through the deer, completely through both lungs. I only used that load because it would safely feed through the magazine.
Those .44 Marlins are slow twisted and over bored, so load workup was suspended and the gun traded for a Microgroove .357 which I like so far and hope to have as much fun with that.
Thanks for the velocity information. It was about what I expected, so I am reporting my results with something similar.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
langenc said:
Couple yrs ago the XTP was developing a bad rap regarding penetration. I dont recall the details but at the time my son had a bad experience w/ them and a plastic sabot. There were several postings discussing that problem back then.

He quit shooting them and I could ask him about the details.
I have taken several deer with a 240 XTP, 100 grs of Pyrodex. Out of a 77/50. A load I've used for 15 years.