The “F” word and change over time

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

vito

Hunter
When I was a kid growing up in the 1950’s, the word “F***” was rarely heard, even when it was just a group of boys together. I never once in my life heard my father, or mother, use the word. Today it is so common that on popular TV shows, like “The morning Show” that I am watching on Apple TV, it is used hundreds of time each episode. In fact, rarely does a character speak more than a sentence or two before you hear the word. And sadly, I find that I personally use the word more than ever. If I bump my shin into the trailer hitch on my SUV, where before I might have exclaimed “yugo!”, or “damn”, I now am just as likely to say “F***”. I estimate that it won’t be long before this seemingly all purpose word is routinely heard from toddlers when they don’t get something they want, and parents will not even admonish them for saying it. Welcome to modern times.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's not just that word,, it's a LOT of things that used to be profane, objectionable, or otherwise NOT seen or heard on TV, radio, news print, or in conversation that has become more common.

It's only acceptable because we have allowed it to be accepted.

And the F word,, I was kinda shocked the first time I heard a female say it.

And sadly,, I too use too much profanity at times. I think my military time enhanced that.

jgt

Blackhawk
I used profanity to a great extent during my military service. Once out, only in the presence of male acquaintances. One day I was taking a coffee break with a fellow worker. In the conversation, I was lacing it with some pretty strong profanity when I discovered a lady standing behind me within earshot. I apologized, and she passed it off as normal saying she was married to a Marine. I was no less embarrassed by my language. I vowed that day to learn to express myself without the need for profanity. My goal was to do it with enough skill that others would not notice until they had been around me a while. It didn't take that long to get comfortable doing that. Today I find hearing profanity is very grating on my psyche.

Mike J

Hunter
Language constantly changes. Words that are acceptable become unacceptable. Words that are unacceptable become acceptable. During my misspent youth I spent a lot of time in barrooms, partying with strippers, in close association with drug addicts, etc. Since sobering up I've worked commercial construction for about 32 years. I'm pretty fluent in all forms of profanity. I honestly try to abstain from it though. Some years ago I was reading the Bible & I read that it isn't what goes in a man's mouth that defiles him but what comes out of it because out of the heart the mouth speaks. Not perfect yet but trying to do better.

BearBio

Buckeye
Like many of us, the only time I heard my dad say it was while working on a car!!

jimd441

Blackhawk
To me, there is a significant difference between general profanity and taking the Lord's name in vain, with the latter being far more egregious. Frequent use of general profanity demonstrates a lack of class, while taking the Lord's name in vain is truly offensive, but that is just my opinion.

Jim

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
profanity = A feeble attempt, by a weak mind, to express itself strongly.

The flip side is that if it is used VERY infrequently,
when you do, it really makes the point.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Patton never grasped that as many people were laughing at him as laughing with him. When I was at Fort Bragg in 1969 there was a permanent party E-6 who used the F word at least once and often twice in a sentence. He was seen as a mental case and got no respect. There is a recognized term in psychiatry , coprolalia, for those with such limited vocabularies. Never used it myself, didn't grow up with it.

diffy40

Single-Sixer
nekvermont said:
I don't use the F word anymore since I discovered "Lets Go Brandon"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This made me laugh out loud :lol:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
When I grew up, again like the rest, in the 60s Blue Laws were common and life was much better. People didn't dare speak like they do now. I made the mistake of using the F-Word once in front of my parents and the prospects of doing it again were regrettable.

I've heard it from clergy, elected representatives, teachers and especially people under 30. It's like no one has any respect anymore.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I will not remain in the company of anybody who uses profanity nor obscenity. I don't use that myself and have little use for men who talk in that manner. I certainly will not tolerate it in my home. The quickest way for a TV show to get turned off is to have foul language in it.

Bob Wright

I also don't get it, I can cuss with the best of them.. but really don't understand the constant use of the 'F' word... I actually got put on probation over on another forum for saying the folks using it were showing their lack of intelligence ... seems the owner and moderator likes to use the word.

I'll say it... this new language with all the profanity is probably the one reason I'm glad my grandmother is no longer alive.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Mike J said:
Language constantly changes. Words that are acceptable become unacceptable. Words that are unacceptable become acceptable............................................................

Actions become acceptable as well. In my youth, homosexual activity, adultery and fornication were considered sins, now they are not only considered acceptable but are flaunted in Hollywood. Acceptable, yes, but wrong still.

Bob Wright

A.J.

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
I also don't get it, I can cuss with the best of them.. but really don't understand the constant use of the 'F' word... I actually got put on probation over on another forum for saying the folks using it were showing their lack of intelligence ... seems the owner and moderator likes to use the word.

I'll say it... this new language with all the profanity is probably the one reason I'm glad my grandmother is no longer alive.

You're in good company. I got banned from a pretty rough forum partially for calling out a moderator for his nonstop use of the N word.

On the other hand, one very good friend cusses like a sailor. When I was out of town and my wife broke down out in the boonies, he came to her rescue. Great dude.

eveled

Hunter
Having a bad cursing habit is bad enough. Very difficult to control if you’ve been talking like that for years.

There is no excuse for swearing in print.

Pat-inCO said:
profanity = A feeble attempt, by a weak mind, to express itself strongly.

The flip side is that if it is used VERY infrequently,
when you do, it really makes the point.

Absolutely agree! You get more emphasis and accentuating the point if you don't have a mouth like a toilet and do use profanity from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts