That damn Ruger pin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Here's the thing about these wee guns -- they were built for one thing alone, and that is concealment. The design is highly successful in meeting that goal, but gives up a bit of convenience as a cost. Plenty of wee ones out there these days to choose from, though, so if this one doesn't suit...

larry1096

Bearcat
Not related to losing the pin (it's probably the ONE pin I haven't lost yet) but to removing it without scratching the slide; look on Amazon for a 'spudger'; it's a small plastic tool computer folks use to disassemble phones and such, and have various prying and disassembly surfaces, and a three pack is around $8. I have them in all my range bags and cleaning kits, and they work great for a million things in gun work.

Larry

bobski, that is "spot on" and still back to Rugers, look at the early RSTs and the Mark I.s , they over engineered the small 'spring clip' ( "C" clip) on the inside of the frame to hold in the trigger pivot pin...this early part was called the "Jesus clip" cause when you took it out or tried to put it back it, it "took off" and the last you hear is "Jesus...." where'd it go?????:cool::rolleyes:;)

I am mechanically challenged. I have a Mark ll, that stayed together for close to thirty years. Thanks to Contender for showing me how to get it back together. Like someone said: AEROSOLS. Yep that is me. Is the bore and chamber clean? Yep, ok all is good. A new gun is lightly lubed without taking apart. Saves me aggravation. Nope! I don't tinker! If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.
gramps

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
The OP talked about crawling on the ground looking for parts.I can't get down or crawl under stuff any more. I keep a magnet on a string. I "fish" for parts. Cast and drag. Some springs and screws are small and go down into the carpet. It pulls them out. I glued a magnet to the end of a old cleaning rod to "fish under stuff. It works.

Virginia Boy

Bearcat
Today after returning home from the range I had three guns to clean. One is a S&W revolver, nothing to take apart, just swing open the cylinder. The next was my Glock 17. Easy to take apart, no small pieces, no tools needed. The third is my everyday carry, an LC9s. So many things I like about this gun, but taking it apart does require a tool or paper clip or something to push out the pin, and the damn pin itself is a problem (at least it was today for me). After I removed it from the gun it rolled off my work bench, bouncing on the concrete floor and rolling who knows where. For the next 20 minutes I was down on my knees, or my back, using a powerful flashlight, looking under the work bench (amazing how many screws, nails, washers, nuts and other debris I found under there), under two different cabinets, around the hot water heater and behind a pile of old lumber.
When removing the pin, place the gun on a towel, it won roll away.

blammer

Single-Sixer
The OP talked about crawling on the ground looking for parts.I can't get down or crawl under stuff any more. I keep a magnet on a string. I "fish" for parts. Cast and drag. Some springs and screws are small and go down into the carpet. It pulls them out. I glued a magnet to the end of a old cleaning rod to "fish under stuff. It works.
I got magnet which was attached to a piece of metal which had an eye bolt (donut end) attached to it. So tied a string to it to do the same retrieval. It's amazing how much small metal it brings up when I have to use it!!

ssl92677

Bearcat
pin.JPG

Remove the black finish off the body of the take down pin (emery board or fine sandpaper),
then oil the pin & the frame hole, the pin should now fall out easily with no need for "tools".
Bob's your uncle!

and

Viola !!!

Last edited:

Mike J

Hunter
The takedown pin for the Max-9 hasn't really caused me any problem. It is similar to how the old Kel-Tec P-11 I used to have came apart.

ssl92677

Bearcat
The takedown pin for the Max-9 hasn't really caused me any problem. It is similar to how the old Kel-Tec P-11 I used to have came apart.
I made and posted the video online because I saw many comments in various forums & also on YouTube Max9 videos where people said they wouldn't consider the Max9 because you would need a "tool" to get the pin out... that's not true. Interestingly, one of my videos on this subject got over 1,400 views in the first two days it was on YouTube :cool: