Thanksgiving Day

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Today is THANKSGIVING DAY, not Turkey Day, if you please. Over four hundred years ago our forefathers set aside a special day for a Thanksgiving feast, thanking God for their survival of the first winter in a new land.

This morning as I did my devotionals I recounted eighty-five years of God's blessings for me in my life. Among those are each of y'all here who have really been part of my life for the past several years. You have encouraged me, cheered me up, and just listened to me when I needed that.

So, to ALL here, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Bob Wright

Bob, we love the stories! I re-tell them all to my wife, so keep ‘‘em coming!

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🍽

You say, not “Turkey Day.” And this makes me wonder what the first, or even second Thanksgiving was called? When did it become “Thanksgiving Day” ? Just curious.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
When it was officially ordained, it was "Thanksgiving Day." But for those 'way back then, I guess the pastor, or mayor, or governor, just said, "Let us gather and thank the Lord with a feast." Or words of that effect.

Those folks of the day were either Christians or at least Deists, except for the Indians. But even the Indians worshipped a Great Spirit.

Bob Wright

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Happy Thanksgiving folks.

You know, as a child I learned the history of Thanksgiving. In my early teens that message became somewhat lost. Then at 19, far from home and family, in a hostile land I realized what I had to be thankful for. A hard way to learn but the lesson has not only lasted but been reinforced.

So yes, Happy Thanksgiving and a prayer that you might remain somewhat blissfully unaware of what others have been through to give you all you are thankful for.

Yes, the true meaning of this day of thanks has been slowly lost since the '60's (or before). Now it is just the day before Black Friday and Cyber Monday - eat up, take a nap, get ready to fight the crowds to get that big screen TV or whatever the businesses and media have been touting for the last month.

Bob, even though Nita is not physically there with you, I know you will have a good day reminising with her on past Thanksgivings.

God Bless and have a great day everybody.

Latest posts