Thanks!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
In a thread on this forum a while back about kinetic bullet pullers someone suggested placing a foam earplug in the puller to protect the noses of the pulled bullets. I don't remember who gave the suggestion, in fact it wasn't even in a thread I started, but I'd like to just say thanks. That was an excellent tip.
For as many years as I've been building my own ammunition, a person would think I'd know better than to not cross-reference data in a couple of different manuals before building a bunch of ammo for a gun I'm not real familiar with. Long story short, I have 50 rounds of .32 Winchester Special ammo to pull apart.
The bullets are coming out easily; just one sharp whack, but I noticed a badly mangled nose on the first bullet I pulled. It was then I remembered the tip I'd read on the Ruger Forum about placing a foam earplug in the bullet puller. It works great. I've pulled about half of those bullets so far and I'll be reusing all of them except the first one. :D

gmaske

Bearcat
Hmmmmmm? I missed that one the first time so thanks for the thanks. :D I love them little perls of wisdom that help us do things better.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I've only pulled flat tips, so no problem yet, but this knowledge is a little gem to save for the future.

callshot

Blackhawk
Good idea, thanks. You must be old to have a gun of that caliber! I have loaded some for a brother of mine. I don't here much about them. Steve

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
callshot":2ix6lxzu said:
Good idea, thanks. You must be old to have a gun of that caliber! I have loaded some for a brother of mine. I don't here much about them. Steve

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ha! Yeah, I AM old, but my wife's little Model 94, .32 Special really isn't. From its serial number we determined it was built in 1983 - it's not even as old as our youngest daughter. I was pretty surprised to learn Winchester was still building .32 Specials in the '80s.
My wife spotted the rifle in Sam's Gun Shop in Pocatello a couple of years ago, and just had to have it. It's in beautiful shape. The only way we could tell it wasn't new was the fact somebody had replaced the rear sight with a William's aperture receiver sight. There isn't a scratch or a ding anywhere on the rifle. I suspect it had been a safe queen. It has certainly spent no time in the rear window of a pickup truck, much less ever seen the inside of a saddle scabbard. And it shoot's great - even I can regularly punch holes in pop cans at 100 yards with it.
My problem with loading for the rifle came from the fact I used the COL listed in my Hornady Manual rather than the COL listed in my Speer Manual. The COL listed in my Hornady Manual left the cartridges just a hair too long and they wouldn't feed in my wife's Model 94. The strange thing was, the cartridges looked okay because the bullets were pushed in far enough so that I could roll crimp into their cannelures. I had to pull all the loads apart, trim all the cases to the listed "trim-to" length, and push the bullets back in the cases to the very tops of their cannelures. I ended up with the COL listed in my Speer Manual even though I'm using Hornady bullets.

callshot

Blackhawk
I know about how old you are. I met you at the range one day with sixshot. I don't think my brother shoots his 32 Win much any more. I think it was used for his children that are grown now. I don't shoot my 30-30 Model 94 now. It was my wife's ONCE. I would like to try some Hornady Leverlution bullets in it, but haven't found any to reload with. Dick has pretty much gotten me to wheel guns now. From your post, I think that my 30-30 is older than your 32 Win. Just as long as they still shoot, that is all that matters. Steve

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
Yeah callshot, I remember meeting you over at the Soda Springs range. I was just clowning around in my post. I got a kick out of you saying I must be old if I'm loading for a .32 Special.
I too have a Model 94 .30-30 that's older than my wife's .32 Special. I took a couple of deer with it back when deer were easier to find in this part of the country. And in spite of what I read in a recent article about the .32 Winchester Special in one of the popular gun magazines, I'm pretty sure .32 Specials are no more effective than .30-30s - just a little more unique.
Have those Hornady Leverlution bullets ever been available as components? I wasn't aware they had. I think it WOULD be kind of fun to work up a load for my .30-30 using them.

callshot

Blackhawk
I got the idea that the Hornady bullets were available for reloaders from their catalog and a magazine article. Maybe I'll have to phone them and ask them directly. Possibly a trip to Grand Island in my spare time. HA-HA.