TFNG question. Reload price vs factory

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
revhigh":18bq33db said:
I'd love to try it though, or see it done in person ... never had the opportunity.
Believe me, if I could get started with it and get the hang of it, you'll find it a piece of cake. And you really don't need to spend very much money to try it. Between the casting forums and youtube videos, it is pretty easy to get the hang of.

I'd suggest trying to start with accumulating lead. If you can find local sources (thank God neither of us live in CA), after you've got 50 lbs or more it would be time to get some equipment. Easiest way to get started is to put old work shirt, like a Dickie's shirt, and drive around to tire stores. Ask if they have any old wheelweights they are willing to let go of. When I get a good source, I'll often give them a case of beer of something as thanks for a 5 gal bucket. Don't waste you time with Sam's Club or Walmart -- they use a vendor. Other large regional chains have started going that way as well. Locally owned business are your best bet.

PM me if you ever want to discuss or ask questions via telephone.

revhigh":18bq33db said:
... to say nothing of the dangers in dealing with molten lead and fumes.
Not as dangerous as you'd think. Solid lead is not really a problem; lead fumes or lead dust is where the exposure risk occurs. This topic has been discussed on the casting forums and everyone reports normal lead levels.

I usually cast between 650 and 750 degrees. Lead fumes really don't start until you are about 900 degrees and higher. My doctor wanted some other blood work done to check my PSA levels, so I asked him to check my lead levels as well. Coincidentally, I got my results back this morning and both were good: lead levels undetectable; PSA was 0.2 (normal is 0-4).

JeepVideo

Bearcat
Jumping Frog, Excellent suggestion for accumulating lead. Also thanks for the info regarding casting temps and fumes - I had no idea and it's good to know that it is safe to do (based on your blood test results)