Testing Loads with the Sheriff

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Today me & Russell Cottle, retired sheriff from Oklahoma decided to do some load testing after Russ had roughed up the Rock Chucks earlier in the day. We drove down to the pistol range, me with 2 of my Ruger 41 magnums, an OM shorty & a 5 1/2" stainless bisley that I've taken quite a bit of game with. Russell had brought several guns with him from Oklahoma, a self built long slide 1911 45, him being an old lawman he has a real appreciation for a good, dependable 45 ACP. He also had a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine that was making life miserable on the Ground Squirrels & a few Rock Chucks. Another gun he brought along was a S&W Performance Center 8 shot 9mm that turned out to be a fine shooting revolver.
I don't care much for shooting from a bench, even if the gun is scoped, I much prefer shooting from the Elmer Keith reclining position with the gun nestled "between" my knees. I've taken many, many animals this way & a gun zeroed from this position is ready to go in the field from pretty much any position, or at least very close.
We were shooting at about 65 yds at clangers & a plate rack. You can see in one of the photo's what the targets look like over iron sighs at 65 yds & then zoomed in a bit. I'm standing next to a clanger with my OM 41 shorty & 5 shots on target. The load is 8 grs of Unique & a 210 gr. powder coated HP. Russell is standing behind the plate rack holding his 8 shot 9mm S&W.

ni5myioh.jpg

3H5iAYkh.jpg

y5rkgu1h.jpg

aHpDPK2h.jpg

HdOSuPNh.jpg

Johnnu2

Hunter
Life just doesn't get any better than that.... Wide open spaces, beautiful country and a good friend to go shooting with....
J.