Tested my Ruger SP-101 finally

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I have been feeling under the weather lately after some dental surgery but I had picked up a SP-101 and I was ready to get it outside. I took some handloads of 158 grain Speer Gold Dots with 13.0 grains of 2400 and then some of my 170 grain cast Lyman #358429's with 12.5 grains of 2400 and tested it. This was the first time I have fired a revolver, any revolver double action in over a year and the first .357 Magnum I have fired double action in nearly four years since I screwed up my left arm and hand. I forced myself to try to fire with both hands (I have a stimulator for the pain so that took a lot of the edge off but I am paying for it now and after I'm doing with this I am heading for my recliner) but I needed to try and all the shots were at 7-8 yards. The target on the with the Shoot N See is double action only and the other had a couple single action fired. The gun with the factory sights shoots a little low, I am going to order a new sight from Gemini Customs and I already ordered a set of springs from wolff. I don't mind the factory grips at all, but the inserts are going to get replaced. All in all a nice shooting gun and I was surprised how easily it was for me to shoot, definitely a keeper.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't like shooting magnums in my SP, a little too harsh for me. I usually shoot specials or full size cases with less than max charges.
Keep up the good work. In the black at 25' is good enough for self defense. Springs will make a big difference in trigger pull, so will a reasonable amount of dry-fire. :D

Hugh

Buckeye
I've got them both; 3-1/16" and 2-1/4" .357 Magnum. I prefer the 3-1/16" and do my paper shooting at ten yards. Like Jimbo said, in my eyes all in the black at seven yards is good to go for self defense. I do not hand load and my night stand load is 125 grain JHP .38 Spl +P. If you want to plink at 100 yards with .357 Magnum and the 3-1/16" .357 you're good to go there as well. Enjoy.