Tesla Model 3 -- Two Week Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thanks for the info but that still doesn't answer my question. Obviously no one is going to sit on the side of a highway for 12 hours waiting for a charge. What I want to know is how far will a one hour charge get you?

I suppose if you run out of juice, the only way AAA is going to help you is to tow your car to a charging station. They can't bring you a gallon of electricity. Too much drama for me. I know there is always going to be a gas station pretty near should my tank start getting low.

Armybrat

Buckeye
caryc said:
Armybrat said:
In his area the power source is either natural gas or nuke.

Here in the Austin area the place is crawling with Teslas, and charging stations are everywhere. Even along our interstates, so I wouldn’t feel uncomfortable traveling around the eastern half of Texas in one.

However, the price point is $10,000 too high for the average guy like me.

Ok, the charging stations are everywhere but how long does it take to charge one? How far can you get on a quick charge whatever that would be?
Don’t have a clue how any of it works, but I’ll be darned if I’m going to let a computer do the driving. Just as soon kill myself with my own bad motoring skills.... or lack thereof.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Colonialgirl said:
WHO PAYS for the electricity to recharge at those "stations"? Just imagine the pollution from the plants required ti generate all that electricity. Tesla and electric cars are a giant farce and ripoff; NOT to mention all the pollution from the mining and refining the materials needed to manufacture those "lithium" batteries; WORSE than lead batteries and NOT recyclable.
Yeah, We should all go back to coal furnaces and wood stoves in our homes with a barn and horses and lots of manure in the streets. Dang this electricity stuff. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

On charging times and trips:

There's a fellow around here who has an earlier Tesla, S model if memory serves. I've never talked to him directly, but he's a "regular" at a coffee shop I used to visit once in a while, a rather loud and vocal chap. If he was there, everybody in the place got to hear about his da(r)ned Tesla! It was all he talked about.

Anyway, he'd taken a trip from here to somewhere up in eastern Oregon. It took some planning (Tesla has all the charging stations listed so owners can figure out where to make their stops.) This fellow planned meals and rest stops around the charging stations. This trip took him 17 hours. In comparison, a fellow I know who makes almost exactly the same trip a couple of times a year, usually at a leisurely pace with gas stops, rest stops, and about 60 mph cruising speed where he can get away with it, says it takes him 14 hours in a "regular" car. Someone pushing it just a bit might be able to trim an hour off that.

So I guessed from the Tesla driver's descriptions, it took about an hour to charge, about every 140-150 miles. Now whether that was a full charge, or just enough to get to the next station, I dunno.

Rick C

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
I would love to hear the conversations/ complaints that took place when the automobile first came out. I imagine some were pretty close to comments above.
No matter what you think of electric cars and new technology in general you have to give Tesla some credit for pushing the envelope in development and features.
I love my diesel trucks and V8 mustang but would own a Tesla if I could afford it. The main thing that bothers me about most of the new cars and technology is its lifespan. With the short lifespan of electronic components i cant imagine a 30-40 year old Tesla on the road like you see 60s muscle cars.

CGDustDevil

Buckeye
Wyandot Jim said:
You didn't mention the price, nor the battery charge time.

Since it isn't my car I don't have a clue.

The Model 3 is in the area of 35-40K. No idea about the battery drive time, but they used to advertise a "35K car that will go 1000 miles on a charge". The ONLY reason I know any of this is that there is supposedly a Tesla plant coming to our little town. We'll see if it materializes, but it did spur me to do a little research on the things.

Regards, Pete

kramden

Blackhawk
May be the wave of the future, not certain about that. Don't know if I would ever invest that much money in something I don't have much faith in. One thing I do know is the resale value of electrical (I know partial) cars like Prius and the Chevy Volt is pretty poor. Reason being as I understand it is to replace the batteries is horribly expensive.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Will the Tesla work with my flip-phone? Would I have to turn it 'on'..???
:))))))))
J (who never even trusted auto-pilot completely)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Everything you ever wanted to know about batteries, but were afraid to ask. Including EV's.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

In particular, EV's: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/electric_vehicle_ev

Watchman

Buckeye
Teslas are quite popular in Europe, due to their higher fuel costs.

In fact, when I was visiting Amsterdam last year I noticed that a very high percentage of their taxis were Teslas, and I inquired about them. I was told that The Netherlands is trying to go all electric over the next decade or so, and therefore they put huge taxes on gas and diesel cars that make Teslas more than competitive in price.

To each their own...

kramden

Blackhawk
Watchman said:
Teslas are quite popular in Europe, due to their higher fuel costs.

In fact, when I was visiting Amsterdam last year I noticed that a very high percentage of their taxis were Teslas, and I inquired about them. I was told that The Netherlands is trying to go all electric over the next decade or so, and therefore they put huge taxes on gas and diesel cars that make Teslas more than competitive in price.

To each their own...
And once they have nothing but electrical vehicles they will be looking to replace those lost tax revenues. HAHAHA.