Tell me about your 327 revolver.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I am thinking of adding a couple of 327 Federal revolvers to my collection. I already have an LCR and an older sp101 with a three inch barrel. I would really appreciate folks telling me about their 4.2 inch sp101 and/or any of the single seven revolvers. I will be doing most of my shooting with 32 H&R and 32 S&W long.
Thanks in advance.

bogus bill

Hunter
I have never shot or owned a .327 mag. However I own have shot and reloaded for this single six .32 H&R mag. It is flat shooting, accurate, very low recoil. I think a good trail gun. I know others here talk of reaming them out to .327 mag. I don't feel any pressing need to as I own other .357`s, 44 specials, .44 mag, ,45 colts etc. Am I missing something?

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a couple. I have the Single-Seven, in 7-1/2" and I can say that it's a small game killer. Love mine. I also have a 327 Blackhawk,, and it's a great piece as well!

East of the Rio Grande and South of the Canadian
Fascinated with the 32 H&R Vaquero Birdshead. Loaded it down for SAS and up for varmints. The single six Vaquero is a joy to shoot. finally found a accurate load with lead Semi wad cutters and that is all I shoot.

So I hoped the 327 SP 101 would be a good way to introduce young shooters to double action center fire revolvers. Good size gun for small hands, but capable of having some zip to get their attention.

Did the research and then searched the local retail gun shops. Lots of SP 101's in 357, 38 and 22 and a very few in 9mm. So I ordered a SP 101 in 327 Fed Mag. Tommorrow I call Ruger customer service and send it home. Seems there are some problems with the line. I have sent several Rugers in for service, but never a new in box gun.

At this point in time, you can not go wrong with the single action Ruger's in 32 caliber. If you find an SP 101, look it over very carefully before liberating it from the gun store or dealer. I have not shot the revolver and will not before it is returned. Even when it is returned it will get a through inspection.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
bogus bill said:
I have never shot or owned a .327 mag. However I own have shot and reloaded for this single six .32 H&R mag. It is flat shooting, accurate, very low recoil. I think a good trail gun. I know others here talk of reaming them out to .327 mag. I don't feel any pressing need to as I own other .357`s, 44 specials, .44 mag, ,45 colts etc. Am I missing something?
I don't think so. I will probably do most of my shooting with the 32 H&R. I don't see a reason to ream the cylinder.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
DixonCreekDrifter said:
Fascinated with the 32 H&R Vaquero Birdshead. Loaded it down for SAS and up for varmints. The single six Vaquero is a joy to shoot. finally found a accurate load with lead Semi wad cutters and that is all I shoot.
Sorry about your problem with the sp101. I hope they get it back to you quickly.
The Vaquero birds head would make a great companion to my 45 acp birds head.

Contender: I envy you that Blackhawk. The long barrel Single-Seven sounds really good as well. It would make a dandy long range handgun - if I could see anything at lon range, :wink:

Now I just have to come up with the bread.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I have all of Ruger's 327s with the exception of 7 1/2 " Single Seven. My first was a Blackhawk, the latest was a Single Seven with the Birdhead grip, this is by far the most fun. A GP100 is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. Any time there's shooting going on with the wife and myself the Birdhead and the 4 5/8 Single Seven gets a workout. Depending on dress, the wife's EDC is either the SP101 or GP100. I prefer the Birdhead. The LCR is just too brutal with heavy loads.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
My four .32s:

Three .32 Super Single Six Magnums with original cyls, three different barrel lengths, three different grip sizes: I shoot 327 in the one I reamed for it. But only off the shelf 327 ammo so far. Haven't reloaded the cases yet. It's a great round but seldom need the power.

Top one: has 32 Mag cyl and an extra one reamed to 32-20 (yes the bullet needs deeper seating to fit), 4 5/8", XR3-Red size steel grip frame.

Next one: reamed to 327 Fed Mag and shoots both mags from same cyl, 4 3/8", XR3 steel grip size.

3rd one: 32 Mag, 4 1/8" barrel, Vaquerito short steel grip frame.

xlarge.jpg

4th one top: Vaquerito .22 Mag, but looks like my .32 Vaquerito I don't have a photo of yet:

vacsinglesix001.jpg

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
To lolbell and Hondo44: Thank you for the responses. It looks to me like I'll be hunting for a birds head and at least one Single-Seven with adjustable sights. Of course, a 4.2 inch sp101 would be nice as well. arrrgh!

lolbell: The LCR is a handful with 327 Federal. I'll be sticking to the 32 H&R and 32 S&W Long in that one.

Hondo44: I am curious as to what the yellow item between the front of the cylinder and the frame is.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
I just bought the 4.2" sp101 in 327 in December, it shoots great very accurate with 327 and 32 long, got a speed loader for it, and now it's my edc gun, I canged grip to the monogrip for the extra length, still very slim though, recoil from 327 loads almost nonexistent, they do have some bang and flash. I think you need one.

G2

Hunter
I really like my 2- 327M's.
First one a 5.5", Bisley Hammer, SBH front sight, #5 BM Basepin, Crescent ERB, and I really like the black plastics on this one.
413078562.jpg

Then I had to get the Birdshead too. Bisley Hammer, early black mikarta.
413575956.jpg

FWIW, I ended up with a extra 327 Birdshead, if your lookin, it's NIB. :wink:

I like 32HRM's too.
3ruger32s.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
I will be doing most of my shooting with 32 H&R and 32 S&W long.
All I shoot is .32 H&R Mag loads myself. Only reason I got into .32s was the lack of .22 ammo a few years ago. I needed a 'reloadable' .22! Now I have 4 revolvers.... One being the Single Seven 5 1/2". It was the first one as it was the only Single Action on the market at the time to shoot .32 cartridges. Did all of my load development with it. Shoots well enough for my purposes. Back to the .22 Single Six now being in my range bag, so my .32s haven't been out in awhile.

[imgur]https://imgur.com/edit?deletehash=bYNa0WjKcakK2sa&album_id=ZKatbux[/img]
trying to learn how to post a picture - seems mysterious. Hope this works
One of my 4 .327's, Single seven Bisley 5 1/2 bbl. Excellent shooter Loaded with 100 gr XTP's, 11.0 gr 2400, small rifle primers.
My EDC is an LCR .327. The best holster I've found for OWB is Charter Arms Undercover holster. Keeps it nice and high on your hip
Oh well, picture didn't work

I have the 327 Blackhawk and one of the early SP101's in 327. I love the weight of the Blackhawk. It absorbs a lot of recoil and makes for s far more accurate revolver. I think you might really like the 327 as a caliber. I have shot 32 S&W Longs However just one box. They were pretty anemic. I love loading for the the 327 also. No muss or fuss at all.

I have a couple 327 guns. One is a FA model 97 that has a two piece grip frame conversion and one piece snake wood grips. It also has a 32 Mag fluted cylinder.
bdGsRzJ.jpg

The other is a 327/32-20 custom light weight conversion built by Alan Harton and Fermin Garza aka 2 Dogs.
Gi2TrQb.jpg

G2

Hunter
I have a 4.2" SP101 327M too, no picture. :roll:
... You will want to have a action job with some Wolff reduced springs installed. It's a beefy, crusty action out of the box, at least mine was. I also changed out the grips to the Houge rubber.

I prefer my Single Actions over the double action, usually end up shooting the SP in SA mode.

I hand load but in the early days bought a couple boxes of American Eagle 100grJSP/ 1500fps to acquire brass. These factory loads are stout, hit hard, and somewhat punishing in the SP.
FWIW; IMO the SP prefers the 85gr/ lighter loads.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
lolbell: The LCR is a handful with 327 Federal. I'll be sticking to the 32 H&R and 32 S&W Long in that one.

If you are a reloader you can load everything in 327 brass and download it to 32HR levels or even 32SW levels. I very seldom load anything to full 327 pressures. I like to load a 115 grain lead bullet to about 1000 FPS. That is a fun load and cheaper than 22's when I use my home cast projectiles, but it's still kinda salty in the LCR