target vs tapper barrels

Help Support Ruger Forum:

danruger

Bearcat
hi ruger fans,
my question today is, is there any differance in a target barrel and a tappered barrel, mark2? other than adjustable sights, or barrel style? or does ruger make a better barrel for its target guns? thanks...danruger

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
Ruger first brought out the "Standard" 22 auto. It had fixed sights, and a tapered 4-3/4" barrel. When it was decided to offer a longer barrel, and adjustable sights, the callet it a MKI Target model. The procedure for making the barrels didn't change.
Longer sight radius & adjustable sights is the main reasons it got the name "arget."

then add "weight" ( less muzzle jump..) and that is basically it.....
I know of guys who have shot tremendous scores, in competion, with a "fixed" sight barrel,just to prove a point...so they are capable of very GOOD accuracy....looks and "feel" add to the mystique.......

Dan42nepa

Bearcat
I have a mark 2 target and a mark 2 with the 6 inch tapered barrel. ofPersonally I shoot the tapered model slightly better because its lighter. I think the accuracy was about the same off a sand bag but I now have a holographic sight on the target which adds more weight and accuracy

Dan

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
The barrel's the same, the profile is the only real difference. Then it comes down to shooter preference: a smaller body framed shooter may prefer the lighter weight of the standard tapered barrel, a larger body framed shooter may like the extra forward weight of the longer 6 7/8" heavy bull barrel, and then there's variations in between like slab side, fluted, heavy target tapered, and 5 1/2" bull barrel for those who's body styles or preferences are more toward the average. They all perform well.

R,
Bullseye

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ruger uses the same rifled bar stock for it's 22 pistols. Years ago they contracted most of the barrel stock (I remember when WBR paid no more than $11 per barrel for Mini-14 stock from a shop in northern Phoenix), but I don't know if they still buy or make the 22 pistol barrel.

Tapered barrels have alot more class than bar-stock barrels.

Think of the extra work going into a tapered or contoured barrel: more complex machining, finishing, inspection, and sight assembly. Bar-stock barrels are just that - a manufacturing shortcut, more than anything. What's "special" about a bar-stock barrel?

In a fair world, the bar-stock barrels should be significantly discounted from the contoured barrel pistols!

JMHO.

pete44ru

Hunter
Ruger made at least Three (3) differently-barreled Mark II Target pistols, with adj sight - so a shooter could have their druthers:
a 5 1/2" bull bbl, a 5 1/4" tapered bbl, and a 6 7/8" tapered bbl.
I dimly recall a 10" bull barrel, and possibly an 8" (Super Eight ?), also - but I'm getting CRS, there.

Although I'm certainly not smaller-framed, I happen to prefer the 5 1/4" tapered M-514T to the others, after owning/using them.
It additionally makes for one heck of a trail pistol.
YMMV, of course.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Correct pete,

If memory serves, the 4.75" taper, the 5.25" taper, the 6.875" taper, and the 10" which is also a taper, albeit slighter, without the sight collar.

The several other lengths including the two flat-sided barrels (actually three? I recall seeing a 5.5" flat-sided?), are all bar-stock (no taper) countours.

My first Ruger was a RST-4. I was out shooting with a group and one of the guys had 5 1/2" Mark I that he let me shoot. What a difference, and it didn't even mis-feed! Shortly after that the RST-4 found a new home and I got nice new SS Mark II 5 1/2". That was over 20 years ago and I still have it.

I will have to admit that I'm lusting after a SS 5 1/4" target but they're hard to find in my cheapskate price range.

toysoldier

Hunter
I was out at the shooting range Sunday with a friend and his wife. He had a new, stainless slab-side target MkIII with oversize wood grips. I had my 6" tapered-barrel MkIII with stock plastic grips. His wife, a petite woamn with some loss of hand strength, much preferred my pistol, as it was lighter and easier to grip. She shot much better with it.

It's always best to handle a gun before buying; one size doesn't fit all.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have bull, fluted bull, slabside, tapered, and aluminum bull barrels on various MK pistols and the best looking is the Stainless slabside, but functionally they all shoot about the same, with the bull and fluted bull holding the advantage, but that is probably from their additional length in my guns. I personally don't really like the standard taper guns, although I do have an anniversary model one.

Latest posts