Target Gray on a SRH .44mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

737tdi

Hunter
Does anyone know if I could have Ruger refinish a .44 SRH in target gray? I have a .480 in that finish and I love it. Have been pig hunting with it for a year now and it shows "NO" wear at at all. No Ruger line either.

100_0067.jpg

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
this is what John taffin said about the target grey.

http://www.sixguns.com/range/454_super_redhawk.htm

"The steel used in the KSRH-7454 (Model number assigned to the Super Redhawk .454) is of a higher grade than that used for the .44 Magnum model, and the heat treating is different." ........

"The .454 Super Redhawk looks like a .44 Super Redhawk and yet it doesn't"............. "This is due to the color of the .454. I thought it had been coated with some high tech finish but a call revealed that no there was no coating but it was simply the Target Grey finish that occurred when the components were tumbled. "

cphilip

Bearcat
I believe it could be accomplished in Norrell Moly Resin. Since that actual finish is actually not a finish but the metal itself you would have to do something different like this to achieve the same look.

Some examples and I see a Grey or two that are approximately the same.

http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/pictures.asp

Also an aggressive Bead Blasting will also come close to a dull matte Grey. Not as smooth a Grey as that one but similar.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
ROBAR has done this treatment very well. Critical to the process is proper passivation (etch) of the "raw" stainless surfaces, and then they tumble in a ceramic/poly mixture, followed by a specific oven curing. Then a buffing brings out the soft gloss.

Ruger's process actually & measureably increases the corrosion resistance over the stainless properties.

Of course, they can also completely black-oxide the SS gun & rings for a truly unique SRH!

Latest posts