Talk to me about the .41 Mag Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Well, I shot one some. Recently traded it and some cash for a SBH Hunter in .44 Mag.

Personally, I really like the .41 Mag caliber. Mine ended up with Pach grips because I wasn't shooting it well with the factory black plastic or a set of factory wood stocks I'd purchased.

Mine was a New Model with 6.5" barrel. Darn fine gun.

I don't have a formal range report 'cause I'm just a plinker killing paper plates and having fun shooting with my college age son.

I like mine. There's not the selection of ammo and bullets for it that you can find for more common chamberings, but it's a capable round and the gun is "typical Blackhawk" robust.

:)

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
i have three of them. 1 4 5/8 new model 1 6 1/2 new model and 1 41 superblackhawk bisley hunter model. I shoot all of them and ahve a mold that throws a 215 gr semiwadcutter. I have taken a lot of deer in Iowa with these guns. I admit if you don't hand load the ammo is a little scarce but if you do hand load you can get excellent performance with them. I have found them to have a lighter recoil then the 44 but be just as effective on deer size game. The trajectory is a little flatter due to lighter bullets then the 44.
Don't get me wrong I also have a few 44's but I usually grab the 41 when deer season rolls around. Steve

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I've got my share of 44's and 45's and never really considered the 41. Just never really knew much about it, but I've gotten intrigued due to a minty NM, 4 5/8", born in mid to late '89 that a buddy of mine made the mistake of letting me play with.

I've been reloading for well on 25 years, but have recently had the urge to pour my own. I feel like this .41 just might be a good excuse to start doing so. ;)

Now I just gotta talk him out of it. :lol:

On another note, I haven't bought new brass in almost 10 years and see that a lot of places are out of stock. Where's everyone going to get their brass nowdays?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
In the factory loadings it is the most powerful cartridge in the Blackhawk line. Of course the 45colts can be loaded up to, and beyond the 41 mag. With the aluminum gripframe and ejector housing the "new model" is quite snappy. If you are a handloader it is a great cartridge to play with. I find the .41mag to be very accurate and the Blackhawk in 6.5" to be a very handy gun. It is my favorite shooter although I modified the grip, hammer and trigger. see avatar.

...Jimbo

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Odd thing is that I thought it was supposed to have an aluminum ejector rod housing, but this one is steel. When did Ruger go to the aluminum housings on the Blackhawks?

sebtool

Blackhawk
I've got an early NM, IIRC, it's a '73 vintage. Came with a set of Pachmyr Presentations on it. I just picked up a set of plow handles for it from anothr member here, and want to try them out. It's the sweetest shooting pistol I own, including my Gold Cup, which ain't no slouch. Excellent trigger, and as accurate as I'll ever be. Aluminum ERH.

I've taken a few deer with the Hornady 210 gr XTP, nothing longer than about 45-50 yards. And they didn't get far. :D
I had some 215 gr LSWC Bull-X cast bullets I was using for practice. I'll admit, it's been awhile since I spent much time either loading for or shooting it. Too much time working. :oops: I intend to do something about that this year!

FWIW, I acquired a 41. mag Redhawk last year, and ran approximately 200 rounds thru it. I liked it, but not nearly as much as my Blackhawk, so I sold it to fund another project. I had always wanted 1, so I guess I can say I tried it!
I also had an OM Super Blackhawk years back, which I liked too, but the .41 mag won that face off, and I traded it. I couldn't really afford the 2 calibers at that time, so.... kinda wish I'd kept it, tho.

Bottom line, you won't go wrong with a .41 mag Blackhawk! :wink:

KCUB

Bearcat
My favorite caliber. For hunting deer and hogs it's all you need.

It is more fun to shoot than .44 magnum because it kicks less.

You can get crazy heavy powerful ammo from Buffalo Bore if you need bear medicine.

Reasonably priced ammo can be found from Georgia Arms.

I much prefer the simplicity of the old model blackhawk Rugers but you have to keep the hammer down on an empty chamber.

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
GA gives you an option in 210 gn of almost 300 'lbs of muzzle energy or over 800'lbs.

I don't understand , especially w/larger caliber, traditional handgun rnds, that it's a choice of vaquero or light speed w/nuttin' in between.

44spl-200gn/750'ps or 200gn/850'ps.

Why have two anemic 44spl rnd? Even if you don't care for the traditional 246gn or a 240/250 I think they could manufacture a rnd w/@ least 225gn @ 1000'ps.

The Blazer flying ashtray is 200gn/875'ps

BB makes a 255/1000.

45 Colt- 200gn/750'ps, 250/725 or 200/1100

Where's a 250 @ 1000? The std weight @ close to the speed of sound.

They have a +P-260gn @ 1200'ps.

Actually, I'd like to shoot that rnd thru a lever carbine.

And it's probably about 225'ps too fast, @ that weight, for my NV.

BB makes a 255/1000 in a hvy std 45 Colt.

I'm not doggin' GA so much as I'm stating that in a caliber that starts w/4 I like to stay just below the speed of sound and carry a heavy or traditional weight in a sidearm cartridge.

I like the larger hole, yet have no need for magnum velocity for the most part.

It shouldn't cost that much more to throw in a little more powder and lead.

Needless to say, BB is quite pricey & GA is a value.

I know, if it bothers me that much I should reload, but I don't see it happening unless I decided on one universal caliber.

Anywho, this long, convoluted circle of gibberish started coz I thought about a mod 57 and ammo was a concern.

Lo and behold I came across a .41 mag post.

Howevah, I'm thinking six inches minimum on brl length and 7.5 might be the par excellence platform for milking the most performance while maintaining portability.

Then again, wadda I know?

I want one in DA w/3" tapered brl and a 5 rnd cylinder...

contender

Ruger Guru
I'll chime in here & say that the 41 mag is and always has been a quiet underdog in the shooting world. It seems to live in the shadow of a bigger caliber,, ( the 44 mag) yet,,,, it has a true core of shooters who have discovered the true enjoyment of this fine caliber. yes,, it doesn't enjoy as many factory loads available,, nor the wide selection of factory bullets,, but if you cast,, and reload,, it truly becomes a shining diamond among a lot of other supposidily "better" calibers.
I own several,, and NEVER hesitate to add another when they come along,,!

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
my youngest son has my dad's 4 5/8 om. I replaced the aluminum with a steel dragoon gripframe, which makes it much more sociable.

Even tho I now shoot 44 wussy, (arthritus), when I was shooting the rhino rollers in a super blackhawk, that little 41 took a backseat to nothing.

If you are certain that you would never want to use it for cas, can find empties, reload, cast you own bullets, and carry a very effective little package, then the 41 is a great gun.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Skalkaho Slim":78ab5jf9 said:
Odd thing is that I thought it was supposed to have an aluminum ejector rod housing, but this one is steel. When did Ruger go to the aluminum housings on the Blackhawks?

Ruger dropped the steel ejector housings on the Single-Sixes and Blackhawks back in late '62/early '63. Some of the recently produced Blackhawks do have steel housings. I'm not "up to date" on them very well, though.

Both the aftermarket industry and Ruger have been producing steel housings since the early/mid 1990's so your .41 may have had one "added"......

flatgate

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
This is what I was able to do last week with my 41 Bisley

DSCN1000Large.jpg

25 yards

DSCN0995Large.jpg

50 yards

It does what I need done here in Pennsylvania. That's a 215gr SWC and 18.0gr 2400

kimberguy2004

Bearcat
I'm sure it's a good round and there's a place for it, but I just never had much interest in it. It just seems like a solution looking for a problem. if you handload, .44 covers everything on both sides of it, then there's always .45Colt and .454 if you really need a little extra.

A

Anonymous

I have an old 3 screw Blackhawk in .41 with the 4 5/8" barrel. I enjoy it alot, does pretty much what the 44mag does with a little less recoil. I bought it because it was the first 3 screw I had ever seen. Ammo can be scarce, and expensive, but since I handload for it that's not a factor now. The 44 is a better choice overall, but I ain't getting rid of my .41.

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
The 41/210 clearly trumps the 357/158 though obviously there wasn't enough differences between it and the 44/240.

Once again the bigger is better mentality comes out as the populace winner.

I think a 41 mag carbine would be a sweet shooter.

Although I'm not a huge fan of magnum handguns if I had a choice and ammo was readily available I'd take the 41 over the 357 & 44.

Wouldn't matter much as I'd probably shoot specials out of it anyway...

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
I kinda figure that model might pop up in the catalog again; somewhere down the road.

That tends to take the starch out the used, "rare" market prices...

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Acquired my first NMBH in 41 Magnum in 1976. 6.5" barrel. When I was into handgun silouette, used same to win 1980 state championship IHMSA in my class, standing, 32 of 40. 220 gr. Sierra JSP ahead of 21 grains H-4227. Still one of the most accurate revolvers I own. Should have had the Bowen rear sight then as I have on it now.